New drop shot hooks not finesse enough?

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
victornguyen
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

New drop shot hooks not finesse enough?

Post by victornguyen » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:18 am

With all the new dropshot hooks on the market these days I cant help but to look at some offerings and think there is too much going on around the hook area Im talking about the "gama swivel shot g finesse", "vmc spinshot" , "blakemore standout". The marketing ploy for these new hooks is they remain upright poised for a strike. Which is a big thing for anglers. Traditionaly dropshoting is reserved for the tough bite when fish are taking nothing but small finesse baits. The idea is small hooks, light line etc. everything must be perfect to get a bite. I dont like these NEW dropshot hooks if you rig right with a "owner mosquito", "gama drop shot" you can get the hook sitting just right without all this crap hanging around the hook. What do you think of these NEW dropshot hooks?

Inspectorlee
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: New drop shot hooks not finesse enough?

Post by Inspectorlee » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:27 pm

I feel the new hooks with built-in swivels don't serve a purpose either. The extra hardware not only adds additional weight (however small) but also add to the visual clutter and may spook fish. I think the added weight stops the lure from falling at a natural rate, something I don't want. And nearly all the fish I've caught on a dropshot have not been reaction bites; when I've been able to see the bite happen, the fish usually inspect the lure before picking it up. I feel that the added swivel may be enough to make a fish think twice about taking my lure if they're being extra picky.

accodn2ryan
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by accodn2ryan » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:08 pm

Those swivel shot hooks are mainly useful if you don't want to deal with line twist. Also you can just shorten or lengthen your leader more easily as well. I like the concept of being able to change the length of the leader, and I do have some of these hooks, but haven't used them that much since I still have a lot of the regular gammy drop shot hooks that seems to be working fine for me.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:15 pm

I tried quite a few and I also don't like those with swivels or stand out...

My go to is the roboworm rebarb.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:26 am

Gammy Amart TGW drop shot is all I use for nose hook.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:57 am

cndbasshunter wrote:Gammy Amart TGW drop shot is all I use for nose hook.
Yea, I love those things. They really embed themselves very well, I crush down my barbs and I have still needed pliers to get them out on occasion. I have also started using the larger 1/0 ones for wacky rigging and they work pretty great for that as well.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:00 am

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. G lock hooks for me, traditional rig.
No junky swivels, that affect action.
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:45 pm

Still use the Gamakatsu straight shanks (worm round bend black on TW) and love them. Make my own keeper from shrink wrap and the are great.

Just_Bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Just_Bass » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:17 am

I tried one of those spinshot once and don't like it at all, too bad I had 2 brand new packs. It help reducing line twisted but not much endup main line tangled with that xtra hardware (4lbs line)itself. My prefer dropshot hook, Gamakatsu EWG #2 (I recently ordered #4 to try out) and Roboworm rebarb hook #1. I need weedless hook to dropshot around grass and less snag.

accodn2ryan
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by accodn2ryan » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:18 pm

Just_Bass wrote:I tried one of those spinshot once and don't like it at all, too bad I had 2 brand new packs. It help reducing line twisted but not much endup main line tangled with that xtra hardware (4lbs line)itself. My prefer dropshot hook, Gamakatsu EWG #2 (I recently ordered #4 to try out) and Roboworm rebarb hook #1. I need weedless hook to dropshot around grass and less snag.
If you want more of a weedless dropshot hook, you can't go wrong with the gamakatsu EWG #2 that you're using already, or the roboworm rebarb hook. I've used the size 2 rebarb hook on the 4.5" roboworm and smaller baits, and the size 1 for anything larger.