Buying Multiple Bait Colors as Backups...???

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
OG_ZILLION
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Buying Multiple Bait Colors as Backups...???

Post by OG_ZILLION » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:06 pm

Kind of confused...I always buy 1 style of bait in multiple colors but 'NEVER' buy a 2nd or 3rd of a specific color just in case I lose one...solely because...

1. Cheap
2. Still a beginner and still need confidence
3. Don't know if I will even like the baits action/style/quality/durability/features etc.

Whats everyone's general consensus and/or theory when it comes to buying two or three baits of the same color just so you have a backup just in case you lose one...?

I mean...one Megabass vision 110 is already expensive enough already. Imagine wanting/having to buy 2-3 Megabass Vision 110's in one color just so you have a backup in case you lose one.

Help...???

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Buying Multiple Bait Colors as Backups...???

Post by toddmc » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:21 pm

You should always have experience/confidence in a bait that you use in tournaments. I must always have at least three each of a few basic colors. I keep the colors simple and I know under what conditions each color is likely to work. There is no such thing as being over-prepared. I often start with one or two lures to try in the backyard lakes to gain confidence and to see if the bait category is worthy of a place in my boat.

ogrich31
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ogrich31 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:32 pm

I also buy one bait if it interests me. If I like it after using it, then I'll buy multiple colors and sizes with doubles of the colors I have confidence in. My tackle boxes are all filled with the same baits, but I'll have like 10+ of each bait. Definitely not cheap, but I won't have to keep ordering them. I do the same with line, buying bulk spools when I can.

bpettus2
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bpettus2 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:14 am

I usually buy one to test it out if Bassies like it I buy all I can . Worst thing is when you have a go to bait and they discontinue it

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:55 am

At least 2. There are some baits that take a beating because they are productive, so lips and hardware loosen.

2 or more with a productive bait.

GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GOOD YEAR 71 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:44 am

Man, I’ve got a few baits I have five of. Specific color I’m talking. If it works it works. Partly in case I lose one, which if it works that well I indeed will, but mostly for rigging and weighting and such. I’d say 95% of my baits I do not run stock out the box. That written, I rarely buy more than two of anything in particular until I understand it. Odd as it sounds, this practice saves money. I'd venture 4 of 5 new baits I've bought over the years I don't find particular advantage to using.
PEACE

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:35 pm

My budget is mostly just one of the color and if it's a really productive lure, I may get another of the same color for backup.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

btoups
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by btoups » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:54 pm

Once I find a lure and color I’m confident in, I will buy multiples. I try to stick to basic colors.

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:14 pm

Depending upon where you reside, toothy critters make it almost necessary.

medicpelle
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by medicpelle » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:05 pm

LC discontinued square bills in purple perch. I am thankful I had bought a dozen or so. You can find them here or there but they are harder to find each year. Once you have confidence in a bait you can't buy enough.