General Questions

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: General Questions

Post by John G » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:10 pm

I think that aftermarket bearings are a waste of money for a reel like an Aldebaran BFS XG because I don’t think that Shimano would sell it with lesser quality bearings in the first place.

For BFS, I use Sniper FC for everything except my expensive topwater plugs and I use braid for those.

I am no where near an expert on reel maintenance but I use TSI321 on my levelwinds.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:46 pm

Another set of "general" questions, just think it's nice to have a thread for multiple quick answers than create an entire one for a question.
A few random questions are:

How do the Abu BFS reels compare do Daiwa/Shimano?
Has anyone ever used Daiwa Steez fluorocarbon line?
Is anyone else crazy like me and fish in a $2000 boat with +$15000 tackle in it???

johns
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by johns » Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:39 am

DirtyD64 wrote:Another set of "general" questions, just think it's nice to have a thread for multiple quick answers than create an entire one for a question.

Has anyone ever used Daiwa Steez fluorocarbon line?
Is anyone else crazy like me and fish in a $2000 boat with +$15000 tackle in it???
Not a boat but a $200 canoe with usually 5 combos averaging 5 to 600 dollars. Haven't tipped it in 40 years

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:03 am

DirtyD64 wrote: Is anyone else crazy like me and fish in a $2000 boat with +$15000 tackle in it???
No, but my kayak and all my yak fishing tackle is *significantly* more valuable then the car carrying it all around.

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:48 am

DirtyD64 wrote:Another set of "general" questions, just think it's nice to have a thread for multiple quick answers than create an entire one for a question.

I have heard that the Abu's are junk compared to Shimano and Daiwa but I will say this, I WILL own a High End (expensive) JDM Abu BFS reel one day for two reasons. Curiosity and I think that some of them just look really cool. I even had a member here tell me that they look like they are hauling ass just sitting there. LOL
When I get one, I will mount it a a JDM Abu BFS rod like a Hornet Stinger or something like that.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:52 am

John G wrote:

I have heard that the Abu's are junk compared to Shimano and Daiwa but I will say this, I WILL own a High End (expensive) JDM Abu BFS reel one day for two reasons. Curiosity and I think that some of them just look really cool. I even had a member here tell me that they look like they are hauling ass just sitting there. LOL
When I get one, I will mount it a a JDM Abu BFS rod like a Hornet Stinger or something like that.
They do look very good. I still really like my Abu rods, would love to have a JDM BFS style rod of theirs. As of now I really want to find a match to the 2 Villain 2.0 7'Medium rods I own. They are still fine, just wish they had better guides. So far a St. Croix Avid X to a Legend Tournament +7'Medium is the closest I can find action/power wise...