General Questions

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

General Questions

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:22 am

Basic thread, ask a question get an answer (assuming it doesn't fit somewhere more specific).
My few quick questions:
Do BFS bearings/Boca bearings/ZPI bearings help stock reels much? Versus stock bearings cleaned well with light oil?
Is braid really that much better than fluoro? I'm close to converting like 50% but just want to know some fast opinions.
Is grease or oil better for a levelwind?

Those are 3 off the top of my head, any answers appreciated and if anyone else has quick questions I will do my best to help.

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: General Questions

Post by ShimanoFan » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:06 am

1)Yes ceramic hybrids can help. And they are over priced. Most bearings made today are made in China, even most of Boca's are made in China. So there are ways to get what you want without the huge markups. I use full ceramics in my baitcasters and I love them and the sound they make because I run them dry. Use ceramic hybrids and you have steel races with ceramic balls and the races still rust so oil is a must or else. Also, don't ever use ceramic coated because they will not hold up.

I'll send you a PM on it.

2)I never use fluoro. I only use braid or other super lines. I don't like clear lines any more of any type. The only thing clear lines are good for to me is backing under braid. But to each their own... use whatever you like that works for you.

3)Level wind... light coat of grease on the worm gear. Light grease in the pawl. Drop of oil in any bearings and blow out excess. No bearings. No oil. Just use grease.
Why is there a concerted effort of hate? And why is it allowed?

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:21 am

Some stock bearings are really good already. I'm not into aftermarket part upgrading, unless somethings is broken/worn out.

I have like 90% braid/superlines. It's just my preference. The only time I really want flourocarbon lines is windy conditions.

Grease on my levelwind.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:27 am

I have installed zpi/hedgehog/boca bearings in most of my reels. Honestly, the “improvement” over Shimano/Daiwa/Abu stock bearings is not enough to justify the cost IMO...

I do not use fluoro. Braid is better than nylon in most ways except in some situations stretch is desireable (e.g. treble hook moving baits for trout).

I use grease on the levelwind for my larger reels. I use TSI321 or similar for my finesse reels.

ogrich31
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ogrich31 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:59 am

I like to run dry boca os on most of my reels. I've tried other bearings as well. Imo, you see a slight improvement with Daiwa reels and not so much with Shimano reels. At least that's been my experience. But the improvements I'm seeing isn't casting distance, It's just a faster and easier startup.

For my style of fishing, I tend to stay away from braid. But I also primary only use fluoro with less stretch (Shooter). Cost a hell of a lot more to fish straight fluoro vs braid w/ leader though lol. Right now I'm only using braid for frogs, punkers or if I'm pitching to vegetation.

I use oil on my worm gear (levelwind), but most use and would recommend grease. When I'm servicing reels for others or servicing a reel that will see saltwater, it's always grease though. I want my reels running as free as possible so that means a lighter grease or oil in some spots where grease should go. Also note that I have to add oil pretty often to the worm gear compared to a reel with grease.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:43 am

I like ceramic hybrids personally. I agree that Bocas are just Chinese bearings that are over priced, and there are many others on the market that are the same. Spool speed bearings, or whatever they are, are just that as well. Hyped up garbage that used the social media to make a name. I get hybrids that are not Chinese, I get them from HawgTech, and they have a better manufacturer. I have been running them dry in all my reels with great outcome. I would put them on the same level as the ZR bearings performance wise.

As far as line, I personally like braid for down here in S FL. We have some heavy vegetation, and fish with big shoulders. When Im using my lighter baits for my smaller fish, I like to use mono. 6-10lb range is what I use depending on the application. I personally hate fluoro because of the way it fishes. Its too stiff, and I dont see any advantage over a goo monofilament.

And grease on everything except bearings.
<")))><{

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:03 am

Thanks for the answers, I am actually tempted to forgo on a set of Air BFS bearings to save for a 1012 G1 spool. I was originally going to buy the Steez SV TW style knobs and bearings, but after your comments about bearings, I think a nice spool with stocks should be fine.

For now my line setups:
SV105/6'9"ML-8lb Halo fluoro (starting to scare me, hard running SM w/ dropshots) maybe 10,15, or 20lb 832???
Zillion TWS BFS spool/6'6"M-30lb braid, topwater and casts crazy distance
Zillion SV TW/7'M 12lb fluro
Steez A XH/7'M ??? New reel
Zillion SV TW/7'3'MH 10lb HiSeas (like other 15lb)
Chronarch MGL/7'6"MH (moved from 7'M but 12lb fluoro isn't going to work)
Tatula R/7'6"MH 50lb Sufix 832
SS/SV on 7'M cranking 12lb fluoro
Zillion TWS/7'6"MH cranking (needs line)
All spinning are obviously braid.

So assuming most have a decent idea the techniques I am using rods for (even if not) which would be better for braid? All of them? Don't really like cranks with braid, but a few need a change. Sometimes my wife honestly out fishes me and I know light braid is probably helping, just so hard to get used to it on a baitcaster. Is 30lb as low as anyone NORMALLY goes??? I haven't ever tried lighter on a casting setup.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:10 am

The 1012 G1 spool is very nice. Also consider the ZPIs. In general, I will always go for spool upgrade first, and then only consider upgraded bearings next if my wallet is full. Note, the ZPI spools come with a set of ZPI bearings, which fit the Steez, T3s etc (the SV103 use a smaller bearing in the side plate).
Also read:
http://japantackle.com/tackle_topics/spool_tuneup.htm

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:20 am

The fish I catch aren't that big...15# braid is on half my reels.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:38 am

I mostly use 10-15 lb braid on my casting reels (Abu revos, Shimano Ald/Met/Conquest101&BFS, Daiwa Steez/SV103/T3/Alphas). It performs great.
I target fish in clear water and with some vegetation - but not Southern US extreme veg.
I find that very big fish can “easily” be caught with thin braid - you are not trying to lift a 10lb fish with 10lb braid but merely drag it towards you. A lot of vegetation (and heavier lures) would probably have me looking for a little thicker line.

bpettus2
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bpettus2 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:02 pm

90% Floro for me braid for flipping mats but I have been reading and leaning to try it more

btoups
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by btoups » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:50 pm

Bearing upgrade being noticeable depends on what you have to begin with. I’ve changed some in Shimano reels and haven’t noticed much difference.

Braid is my preferred line. I love the small diameter and no stretch. If water is clear add a flouro leader.

I use oil on level wind.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:39 pm

I figure it is the nature of a semi-BFS spool (Zillion TWS), but I have blown that thing up a few random times since using braid. Also had a few random blow ups on the stock Zillion TWS spool too. Just takes practice using braid, have to be careful for loops, digging into the spool, etc. I really like Sufix 832, so the reels I will eventually try braid on will probably be that brand.

Also after typing this, I just realized my old Tatula Type R with 50lb braid has never had one of those out of nowhere blow ups. Most of these are quick lashes though and very easy to get out, problem is sometimes they will snap the lure off. Not sure why the older Tat has never done it to me... Probably thicker diameter? 50lb over 30lb should help digging in issues.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:13 pm

Another thing to consider is as braid gets soft with use it can stand up and form a loop on the spool as slack line is reeled in. This loop falls on its side and gets wound over with more line. On the cast the loop can tangle and cause a backlash or even a spool stoppage. Some lines more resistant to this than others but PPS8S was by far the worst offender for me.

Bennington
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Bennington » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:08 pm

Dalleinf wrote:The 1012 G1 spool is very nice. Also consider the ZPIs. In general, I will always go for spool upgrade first, and then only consider upgraded bearings next if my wallet is full. Note, the ZPI spools come with a set of ZPI bearings, which fit the Steez, T3s etc (the SV103 use a smaller bearing in the side plate).
Also read:
http://japantackle.com/tackle_topics/spool_tuneup.htm
Thanks for he link.