What is the ultimate 1/2oz Jig combo?

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
freelancer27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 448
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:08 am

What is the ultimate 1/2oz Jig combo?

Postby freelancer27 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:32 pm

Hi all,

I am wondering what you would consider (price no concern) the ultimate combo for 1/2 oz Jigs. I would like to narrow it down to 'non-custom' combos.

* Rod: ?
* Reel: ?
* Line: ?


Thanks all.

Cheers,
Seb.

BassFisher83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 373
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:12 am

Re: What is the ultimate 1/2oz Jig combo?

Postby BassFisher83 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:00 am

While I don't own one (yet). Luxxe Oltre B70H is certainly a TOP contender if not king.

User avatar
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 10816
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:31 pm
Location: TT Headquarters
Contact:

Re: What is the ultimate 1/2oz Jig combo?

Postby Cal » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:20 am

Hmmm... i'll try to play...

Rod... so many rods, so difficult to decide. I can't even remember what I have in my arsenal. It'd likely be something in the NRX or GLX camp... oh wait, no... a heavy powered, new generation Z-Bone with that XRay blank. The one I reviewed (should be published this week) is a light-medium heavy... a step or two up in power would be great for a half ounce jig.

Either that or the new Orochi XX Braillist ... that's a good candidate too.

Reel... Talk about too many from which to choose... but I'd probably go with my Conquest 101 ... round reels just do it for me.

For low profile... hmm... maybe a Met DC

Line... That one is easy. Fluorocarbon all the way. First choice Tatsu, second choice Shooter
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

DirtyD64
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1397
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:23 pm

Re: What is the ultimate 1/2oz Jig combo?

Postby DirtyD64 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:30 am

If money wasn't a concern, I would probably have a slightly different setup for 1/2 FB jigs (normally open water, weaker weedguard) than I would for 1/2 Flippin or Swimjigs (usually used in cover).

So depends on the jig type and where fished for me.

jpmoney
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 324
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:38 pm

Re: What is the ultimate 1/2oz Jig combo?

Postby jpmoney » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:22 am

For me, it would be:

Rod: Daiwa steez racing design 7011 HRB , OR Megabass destroyer FMJ

Reel: Daiwa Steez SV TW 8.1:1, or Steez A - Equipped with ZPi NRC001PG spool

Line: 18-20lb Seaguar Tatsu, either straigh floro or 50lb YGK WX8 ultra jigman braid to 20lb Tatsu leader.

User avatar
casterus
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 53
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:30 am
Location: palatine,il

Re: What is the ultimate 1/2oz Jig combo?

Postby casterus » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:05 am

Nrx 894
Steez SV TW 7,1
Shootetr 14

freelancer27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 448
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:08 am

Re: What is the ultimate 1/2oz Jig combo?

Postby freelancer27 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:18 am

Cal wrote:Hmmm... i'll try to play...

Rod... so many rods, so difficult to decide. I can't even remember what I have in my arsenal. It'd likely be something in the NRX or GLX camp... oh wait, no... a heavy powered, new generation Z-Bone with that XRay blank. The one I reviewed (should be published this week) is a light-medium heavy... a step or two up in power would be great for a half ounce jig.

Either that or the new Orochi XX Braillist ... that's a good candidate too.

Reel... Talk about too many from which to choose... but I'd probably go with my Conquest 101 ... round reels just do it for me.

For low profile... hmm... maybe a Met DC

Line... That one is easy. Fluorocarbon all the way. First choice Tatsu, second choice Shooter


I am def. looking at this ZBONE as well. Hot contender against the NRX 894. Any thoughts on comparisons?

User avatar
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 10816
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:31 pm
Location: TT Headquarters
Contact:

Re: What is the ultimate 1/2oz Jig combo?

Postby Cal » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:14 pm

freelancer27 wrote:
I am def. looking at this ZBONE as well. Hot contender against the NRX 894. Any thoughts on comparisons?


The only NRX casting rod I've fished extensively is my 852 JWR ... and it's been a while.

The new ZBONE is the real deal... sensitivity is very good.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

freelancer27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 448
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:08 am

Re: What is the ultimate 1/2oz Jig combo?

Postby freelancer27 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:48 pm

Cal wrote:
freelancer27 wrote:
I am def. looking at this ZBONE as well. Hot contender against the NRX 894. Any thoughts on comparisons?


The only NRX casting rod I've fished extensively is my 852 JWR ... and it's been a while.

The new ZBONE is the real deal... sensitivity is very good.



Just ordered one! ;)

User avatar
BRONZEBACK32
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1454
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:44 pm
Location: Utah

Re: What is the ultimate 1/2oz Jig combo?

Postby BRONZEBACK32 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:16 pm

I use a NRX 843, but we don't have very thick of cover around here.

User avatar
njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2266
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:28 am
Location: Southern NJ

Re: What is the ultimate 1/2oz Jig combo?

Postby njbasscat » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:33 am

Flipping jig - NRX 894, Daiwa SV103, 16 LB Sunline Sniper
Football jig - Kistler Zbone 7'6" Heavy, Daiwa Steez SV TW, 14 LB Sunline Sniper

User avatar
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 5175
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:20 pm

Re: What is the ultimate 1/2oz Jig combo?

Postby Hogsticker2 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:56 pm

Point Blank
731mhxf

The rest is just preference. You already have the blank of the Gods, fish whichever reel and line makes your pants the tightest.

freelancer27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 448
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:08 am

Re: What is the ultimate 1/2oz Jig combo?

Postby freelancer27 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:44 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:Point Blank
731mhxf

The rest is just preference. You already have the blank of the Gods, fish whichever reel and line makes your pants the tightest.



Lol!

I will play around with my CQ101HG and a Steez SV TWS and see how it feels.

In close consideration are also:

* Steez SV103XS
* Bantam XHG
* Aldebaran MGL HG

Let's see. Should have the rod tomorrow, so will play around with it a bit.

KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 282
Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 5:52 pm

Re: What is the ultimate 1/2oz Jig combo?

Postby KP Duty » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:28 pm

Cal wrote:
freelancer27 wrote:
I am def. looking at this ZBONE as well. Hot contender against the NRX 894. Any thoughts on comparisons?


The only NRX casting rod I've fished extensively is my 852 JWR ... and it's been a while.

The new ZBONE is the real deal... sensitivity is very good.


Do the new 7'3" Edge black windows' (the HM models) sport the same blanks that are used on the z-bone, or does Gary whip them up a special blend?

User avatar
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 10816
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:31 pm
Location: TT Headquarters
Contact:

Re: What is the ultimate 1/2oz Jig combo?

Postby Cal » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:18 pm

KP Duty wrote:Do the new 7'3" Edge black windows' (the HM models) sport the same blanks that are used on the z-bone, or does Gary whip them up a special blend?


We lost track of what Edge rods is doing with their rods a couple years ago. They had a shake up and things have been unclear ever since. The original Black Widows had ti/SiC guides... last I checked their spec, they're now sporting SS/Alconites yet the prices remained the same :shock:

I don't know if they updated the series to take advantage of the X-Ray blanks or not.

However, the blanks they're making for Kistler are on Kistler's own mandrels, so the tapers and material patterns are Kistler's own design.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests