Ten Dollar Rod Travel Tube

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
DanTheFireman
Angler
Angler

Ten Dollar Rod Travel Tube

Post by DanTheFireman » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:54 am

With a few 3" PVC shipping tubes in the attic and not a fan of the expandable plastic travel case after a broken tip, it was off to Home Depot. All it took was a slip end cap and a slip to thread end cap with plug with a piece of Kevlar cord and leader bead so it swivels freely. Two circles cut from a spare gym floor tile wedged in the ends and a nylon web strap super glued and tightened around the center and you're done, unless you want to breakout the Sharpies and add some color.
Attachments
IMG_1267.jpg
IMG_1267.jpg (33.24 KiB) Viewed 6063 times
IMG_1266.jpg
IMG_1266.jpg (31.58 KiB) Viewed 6063 times
IMG_1265.jpg
IMG_1265.jpg (39.58 KiB) Viewed 6063 times
fish for brains

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Ten Dollar Rod Travel Tube

Post by goldrod » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:27 am

I'd buy one from you because I can't draw.. but your art work is great..
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:07 pm

Weve got differing PVC options in both countries but nevertheless same outcome - I've got 4 of these PVC rod tubes myself and honestly theyre invaluable. Especially the 3m one i made for storage of multiple rods which are not in use.

One of my favourites is the one sent from Japan which housed my MC Volkey BFS - JDM PVC the quality of that stuff :laugh1:

Making a handle I've found that two stainless screw type pipe clamps and a length or quality garden hose to work well and be pretty durable and comfortable - applied at the balance point.

The artworks on your tod tubes is phenomenal! one could only wish of the same but stickers will have to do in my case.

Great post! =D>
Last edited by Slazmo on Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DanTheFireman
Angler
Angler

Post by DanTheFireman » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:07 pm

Thanks Guys! I'm not very artistic but the voices in my head won't quit until it's done. The first one just has stickers and it looks good, holds up to a 6'8" as we've become used to fishing shorter rods in the Amazon with the heavier lures that throw farther. I had to make the second one to accommodate some 7' rods for a friend and ran out of stickers.
Attachments
IMG_1282.jpg
IMG_1282.jpg (48.05 KiB) Viewed 6028 times
fish for brains

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:39 am

Well done =D>

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:40 pm

McGuyvered the sheet out if that project. He'll ya buddy well done for sure!

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:18 am

Yeah, that's awesome. I put together some catfish rod holders with PVC pipe, an end cap, some garden hose, and angle iron. No kickbass paint job, though.

I put a cardboard tube inside my Airliner rod carrier to make it more rigid because the first time I strapped it to the roof it bent about 1/3rd of the way down and snapped the rods inside :crying:

PVC would be lighter, but cardboard gets the job done and it's secure because I can lock it and ratchet it down tighter. I'd never actually take it on an airplane because I can bring my travel rods on board for free, but its great for strapping to the roof. Anyway, just an idea if you ever have to do something similar. Might help protect that custom paint job, too. Course then it's more like $50 travel tube... :-k
This is the way.

DanTheFireman
Angler
Angler

Post by DanTheFireman » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:28 am

Thanks Guys! In three days it gets the maiden voyage to Colombia, five baitcasting and one spinning rod in flexi sleeves fit comfortably but snug with a wee bit of room for bubblewrap. I think with any tube it all comes down to who does the peeking as they always have the "we checked your stuff" label when you get there. I would think the hairy eyeball will be more on the way home this time around.
fish for brains

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:48 am

I built a very similar one out of white Home Depot bought PVC in the early 90's when I travelled to Asia to play tennis. The thought of not being able to fish for a couple of months scared me so much that I was willing to pay a fortune to take a few rods with me. I made it a couple of inches longer than the rods so that I could stuff each end with plenty of foam for protection. I fished a lot shorter rods in those days, or else it would still be in use. Those things are awesome!