Spinning Reel Spool Size

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Spinning Reel Spool Size

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:43 pm

So I had saved some Xmas money and planned to get a few new things. I decided to leave my casting setups as are and don't plan on upgrading them for a while. I want to get a Light powered spinning rod, I will probably buy the newer TFO Professional series 6' Light. The problem I have though is that I don't want to have a better reel on that Light rod than I do on my primary dropshot rod (7'ML Villain 2.0 xf). So what I plan to do is move the current Revo STX20 to the TFO Light rod and buy a new reel for my 7'ML. I have found an awesome deal on a Stradic FK1000 ($145) brand new, but most people say I don't need a 1000 size and I will get better performance from a 2500. If this IS the case, I will just buy a Ci4+FB or a Sustain 2500. I want a good solid reel that is going to last for the 7'ML because it is my go to setup when the fishing is tough. The problem with that rod is that it has micro guides and the stripper guide is a bit small...

So the question is, will a 1000 size not work better for that small stripper guide??? You would think smaller coils coming off the spool would go through the smaller stripper guide easier while a 3000/4000 size reel's line coils would cause that slapping issue. I understand the basic concept of larger arbor = easier casting, but these small guides seem to refute that.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Spinning Reel Spool Size

Post by ScoobyDoo » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:34 pm

Can I make a suggestion.
Check out the new Tatula LT.
I know its new and unproven. But I put a few days on it. And it's like a cheaper Stradic ci4+

6 ounces in a 2k size
I only fished it with 11lb gliss. And it manages that line beautifully. I used it on an 8'2 tailwailk taigame tz for trout.

Does everything very well...Perty looking gear set too....Super shiny machined alooomeeenium :) which is nice to see!

The stripper size in relation to the reel would be fine on either. You probably would not notice much difference one 1-3k reels on most rods. Some 4k reels get larger and taller spools which may get slappy.
But gain an edge in line managment

Most fw spinning rods have guides pretty tight to the seat and roughly the same size whether they're 6' or 7'
I'm no rod builder only have made a few but have adjusted some rods and moved the stripper further out.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:06 am

ScoobyDoo wrote:Can I make a suggestion.
Check out the new Tatula LT.
I know its new and unproven. But I put a few days on it. And it's like a cheaper Stradic ci4+

6 ounces in a 2k size
I only fished it with 11lb gliss. And it manages that line beautifully. I used it on an 8'2 tailwailk taigame tz for trout.

Does everything very well...Perty looking gear set too....Super shiny machined alooomeeenium :) which is nice to see!

The stripper size in relation to the reel would be fine on either. You probably would not notice much difference one 1-3k reels on most rods. Some 4k reels get larger and taller spools which may get slappy.
But gain an edge in line managment

Most fw spinning rods have guides pretty tight to the seat and roughly the same size whether they're 6' or 7'
I'm no rod builder only have made a few but have adjusted some rods and moved the stripper further out.
Yeah, I watched your video on the guts of the Ballistic. Mean looking reel. I will defend Shimano for the fact that when I took Inorganic Chem. and an early engineering class I learned cold forging is legit. I doubt the good machined gears will just explode, but those teeth from a forging process should be much stronger due to the natural patterns of the metal. I will take a closer look at that Tatula LT 2000, just hard to leave my Stradic's. I bought a Chronarch MGL in September, after having 8 Daiwa's it was my first Shimano, and I use Shimano spinning so maybe its time for a first Daiwa in that department.

I really like the anti-reverse switch being gone though, just something else to break or let water in... Also I hope before long they will get rid of that stupid auto bail trip. My wife has been fishing for only about 2 years occasionally with me and she asked "if it's so bad for them, then why is it on there?" Not knowing a good rebuttal I proclaimed they should get rid of auto bail trip.

accodn2ryan
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by accodn2ryan » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:21 pm

I'm also in the market for a new spinning reel. Mainly to replace a much heavier spinning reel with a lightweight one. I'm stuck between the Stradic ci4, Tatula LT, and Ballistic LT. I have the older stradic ci4FA which I love due to it being light. I'm leaning more toward the Tatula LT, but been reading some comments on Youtube that some of them are starting to not feel as smooth after fishing them for a while and they've just barely been out. Not sure if that person just got a bad one out of the batch or not.

To answer your question though, I'd look for a spinning reel anything in the 2000 size and up. My personal preference would be 2500-3000 size for that ML rod.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:53 am

accodn2ryan wrote:I'm also in the market for a new spinning reel. Mainly to replace a much heavier spinning reel with a lightweight one. I'm stuck between the Stradic ci4, Tatula LT, and Ballistic LT. I have the older stradic ci4FA which I love due to it being light. I'm leaning more toward the Tatula LT, but been reading some comments on Youtube that some of them are starting to not feel as smooth after fishing them for a while and they've just barely been out. Not sure if that person just got a bad one out of the batch or not.

To answer your question though, I'd look for a spinning reel anything in the 2000 size and up. My personal preference would be 2500-3000 size for that ML rod.
I agree, call me crazy though, I just cannot stop thinking that a 1000 like the Stradic FK I found on sale would be better for this micro guide rod. I doubt it will make a difference, but for some reason my inner mechanical background tells me smaller coils would pass easier through those little eyes. If that first stripper guide was just a little bigger it wouldn't even enter my head. Either way though, I am thinking of a 2500 and just moving the 20 size Revo to a Light powered rod I have on order. I really wish I could get the 2500 Ci4+FB Double Handle from Digitaka, but I really like that US warranty...

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:48 am

The concept in simplicity would mean that smaller spool = smaller coil/cone of line coming from the spool lip going into the first stripper guide. However with line being propelled at a high speed during the cast, there's the consideration of that line being deflected from the spool arbor to the spool lip. The smaller spool will lose line faster and the angle of line being deflected will increase, thus putting more contact onto the spool lip. There comes the point where the efficiency starts to drop off. Then again it all sort of depends on the line diameter used. Braids/Superlines are awesome, in that they barely change the spooled line overall diameter. So when filled to that optimal sweetness for casting distance, it's awesome distance.

A few measurement of older Shimano spool and handle comparison:
Spool series --- spool width - spool base - spool lip - spool arbor - handle length radius
Stradic 1000FG - 14 mm - 40 mm - 38 mm - 25 mm - handle 50 mm
Stradic 1000FH - 13 mm - 40 mm - 38 mm - 25 mm - handle 50 mm
Stradic 1000FI - 12.5 mm - 40 mm - 40 mm - 25 mm - handle 40 mm
Stradic 1000MgFB - 12.5 mm - 39 mm - 39 mm - 25 mm - handle 40 mm
Symetre 750FI – 11.5 mm - 40 mm - 36 mm - 25 mm - handle 40 mm
Symetre 500FJ – 9.5 mm - 36 mm - 36 mm - unknown - handle 40 mm

For typical pitching...those smaller spools from the like of the old 750 spool series with the 36 mm spool lip did very well.
When it came to actual casting distance with overhead casting used for max distance, the line propulsion spool from the 1000 spool series with the 40 mm spool lip did the best. These were with St Croix 6' rods. L and ML power rods. The ML power rod has a larger first stripper line guide.

Moving onto an old set of Cabela's XML 7' H rods, with the smaller first stripper line guides. The first stripper line guide is same size on the 6' St Croix rod L power.

I had used Shimano 3000 and 4000 size Stradics (older reels). The 4000 reels felt like there were line resistance/slap during cast. The 3000 reels felt less of it. I also tested my 1000 reels on it and felt even less line resistance/slap. Weight consideration, it goes to the 1000. However with casting distance, it goes to the 3000. Overall with fish fighting and lure retrieval, the 3000 were my favorite. It is weird since the smaller spool does feel so much better with smaller first line stripper guide. Yet the 3000 did get better casting distance. I could only consider that to the slight change in the drop of the overall spool width in line capacity. The change is so much less with the 3000 spools. I've ran from 6# Fireline, 15# Braid lines, up to 20# Fireline and 65# braids. Various brands of nylon lines from 4# up to 14# was also used. I have mostly settled on 15# braid to 30# braids - in part to resist line dig'n on larger fish. While on my 1000 spools, I typically only use 4# and 6# Fireline and likewise with nylon lines, 6# to 10# braid nothing heavier.

While micro guides are even smaller than typical L power rods. I would favor the 1000 size reel for your intended 7'ML. If it were the larger first line stripper guide, I would for sure go with the 2500/3000 size reel.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:42 pm

slipperybob wrote:The concept in simplicity would mean that smaller spool = smaller coil/cone of line coming from the spool lip going into the first stripper guide. However with line being propelled at a high speed during the cast, there's the consideration of that line being deflected from the spool arbor to the spool lip. The smaller spool will lose line faster and the angle of line being deflected will increase, thus putting more contact onto the spool lip. There comes the point where the efficiency starts to drop off. Then again it all sort of depends on the line diameter used. Braids/Superlines are awesome, in that they barely change the spooled line overall diameter. So when filled to that optimal sweetness for casting distance, it's awesome distance.

A few measurement of older Shimano spool and handle comparison:
Spool series --- spool width - spool base - spool lip - spool arbor - handle length radius
Stradic 1000FG - 14 mm - 40 mm - 38 mm - 25 mm - handle 50 mm
Stradic 1000FH - 13 mm - 40 mm - 38 mm - 25 mm - handle 50 mm
Stradic 1000FI - 12.5 mm - 40 mm - 40 mm - 25 mm - handle 40 mm
Stradic 1000MgFB - 12.5 mm - 39 mm - 39 mm - 25 mm - handle 40 mm
Symetre 750FI – 11.5 mm - 40 mm - 36 mm - 25 mm - handle 40 mm
Symetre 500FJ – 9.5 mm - 36 mm - 36 mm - unknown - handle 40 mm

For typical pitching...those smaller spools from the like of the old 750 spool series with the 36 mm spool lip did very well.
When it came to actual casting distance with overhead casting used for max distance, the line propulsion spool from the 1000 spool series with the 40 mm spool lip did the best. These were with St Croix 6' rods. L and ML power rods. The ML power rod has a larger first stripper line guide.

Moving onto an old set of Cabela's XML 7' H rods, with the smaller first stripper line guides. The first stripper line guide is same size on the 6' St Croix rod L power.

I had used Shimano 3000 and 4000 size Stradics (older reels). The 4000 reels felt like there were line resistance/slap during cast. The 3000 reels felt less of it. I also tested my 1000 reels on it and felt even less line resistance/slap. Weight consideration, it goes to the 1000. However with casting distance, it goes to the 3000. Overall with fish fighting and lure retrieval, the 3000 were my favorite. It is weird since the smaller spool does feel so much better with smaller first line stripper guide. Yet the 3000 did get better casting distance. I could only consider that to the slight change in the drop of the overall spool width in line capacity. The change is so much less with the 3000 spools. I've ran from 6# Fireline, 15# Braid lines, up to 20# Fireline and 65# braids. Various brands of nylon lines from 4# up to 14# was also used. I have mostly settled on 15# braid to 30# braids - in part to resist line dig'n on larger fish. While on my 1000 spools, I typically only use 4# and 6# Fireline and likewise with nylon lines, 6# to 10# braid nothing heavier.

While micro guides are even smaller than typical L power rods. I would favor the 1000 size reel for your intended 7'ML. If it were the larger first line stripper guide, I would for sure go with the 2500/3000 size reel.

Thanks for the good reply, hadn't checked this section of the forums in a bit. I am thinking now about putting my Revo STX20 on a 6' Light or UL rod and buying a new reel for the ML. Not really sure what to get though, want the new Ci4+FB, but a sub 6oz spinning reel scares me... too dang light.