Polarized Sunglasses for low light conditions

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Polarized Sunglasses for low light conditions

Post by freelancer27 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:28 pm

Hi all,

I am currently using Costa with 580G Green Mirror glasses. I like the glasses in medium to strong light, but they make it hard in low light condition.

I am wondering if there are quality glasses out there for low light conditions (dusk, dawn, overcast).

Thanks. Much appreciated!

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Polarized Sunglasses for low light conditions

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:20 am

Maui Jims HD glasses are what I use.

They are the best I have used...

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:22 am

Smith, Costa have sunglasses with yellow lens. This is what I use in low light or cloudy days.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:38 pm

The glass Costa lenses do offer great clarity, but I moved away from glass lenses because they are too heavy and they cause me pain on the nose pieces and ear pieces when I am on the water from sun-up to sun-down. I've tried quite a few of the orange and yellow polarized lenses from various manufacturers. I feel like there isn't enough polarization help in real low light conditions. I prefer light gray polarized Oakley lenses if I really must have polarized lenses in real low light conditions. My eyes do better with gray lenses that don't change the natural colors as much. The yellow non-polarized Oakley lenses are awesome if you want a lens for early morning boat races to your first spot. They are great hunting lenses also. You can even drive at night with them. Oakley's poly lenses aren't as clear as glass lenses, but they sure are more comfortable to wear all day.

johnnybassboat
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnnybassboat » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:28 pm

If I was you I would look into the Costa 580g lens in sunrise silver mirror. They are a great lens for low light conditions.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:36 am

I have a few different pairs of glasses for diff conditions like lots of guys. Nothing for true low light always wanted a pair of photochromic smiths....but the bass pro fashion show gods kept me away.

I have a pair of Wiley x that have a grey lens with a silght green tint. And it's fairly light. Not nearly as dark as my other glasses
ANd comparing them to some Costa 580g lenses in grey/ mirror and my old maui's they are lighter. I use Two pair of revo polarized glass lens, A pair of revo titanium aviators, and wileys. (and as far as clarity is concerned....can't tell the difference between the wileys and glass revos)

They're a few years old (needed a grey lens after my maui went into the drink.
I think i paid 70$ at lens crafters of all places.
Very good clarity and my eyes really like the greenish tint.
Trolling flo green / flo yellow lines offshore for tuna. It helps the lines Pop a bit which is nice when watching a 9 rod trolling spread in sporty conditions.

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:16 am

I really like the Maui Jim HT glasses for overcast days and low light. Equal clarity to the 580G and work great in lower light.

The Smith rose Polochromatic Ignitors are also great for your partly cloudy days and the lowlight polochromatic ignitors should be even better than the Maui Jim HT for true dawn / dusk conditions as they have even higher light transmission. Haven't used them though.

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:25 am

Smith Low Light Ingitors are by far the best low light glass I have ever used. They are that unbelievable. Once you try them out, honestly there is no better option (at least for my eyes). And, as hungry_cow said, the regular Ignitors (I have both glass and Chromapop+) and each are slightly different (same color but the CP+ honestly does "pop" a little more contrast while being the slightest bit more neutral in color) but I give the edge to the CP+ in clarity which are awesome as an all around lenses (even in low light situations). Get the LL Ignitors and see what I mean! :D

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:42 am

Huh, I have a pair of rose polychromatic ignitors and I find them to be way darker than my old yellow high contrast Costas. They are decent enough for driving glasses or foe super bright days, but I find them too darkly tinted for cloudy conditions.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:08 pm

I use some safety glasses off amazon at $10 for my low light glasses. They have yellow lens. Couple of reasons.

1- Never fish or boat without something to protect your eyes. Bugs at low light, topwater lures flying back at you.

2- In low light, I can't see in the water no matter what and my eyes don't need any sun protection. Polarized makes not difference.

The safety glasses I have look very similar to any other set of glasses you might have and you would not know they were safety glasses nor would you know they cost $10

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:27 pm

DavidSA wrote:I use some safety glasses off amazon at $10 for my low light glasses. They have yellow lens. Couple of reasons.

1- Never fish or boat without something to protect your eyes. Bugs at low light, topwater lures flying back at you.

2- In low light, I can't see in the water no matter what and my eyes don't need any sun protection. Polarized makes not difference.

The safety glasses I have look very similar to any other set of glasses you might have and you would not know they were safety glasses nor would you know they cost $10
I disagree 100% on this, my Maui Jims with HT lens during low light help a ton at seeing in the water, especially during wading in the river, I can see my next strep so I don't end up down stream.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:51 pm

our use case may be different. I'm fishing on lakes where without a relatively high sun you can't see anything in the water with any glass. Low light I was taking as the first and last hour in my day.