The Chase begins for 10#

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

The Chase begins for 10#

Post by goldrod » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:21 pm

So its the day before Christmas and a 9 / 11 and 13 have come off a lake i know of just last week and it only gets better through April.. The water is clear and by clear I mean very clear. Most Guys only use drop shots or trigs 1/8th oz weights and 10lb test MAX.
I've found floro works great or mono that has a green hue.. I am hoping to finally get a double digit bass and I will almost exclusively fish this bowl of a lake.. a Crig works well too but I've had to modify my setups to get to where i feel comfortable.

This is a crazy place to fish as the grass line is 12-15 feet of water and from what I am told 20 feet is what you want to be sitting in. I remember when I couldn't catch a cold out here but I am learning.. I will keep you guys informed
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: The Chase begins for 10#

Post by BigG » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:35 pm

Would be a great Xmas present, good luck

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:15 pm

Don't be scared of trying an upsized drop shot, especially around that grass. Get some heavier line (fluoro for water clarity you described), TX rig with a heavier weight, and use a size up of whatever lure is working. Mag flukes on a VMC 7/0 EWG with 1/2 weight and 15lb fluoro have brought me some nice fish.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:53 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:Don't be scared of trying an upsized drop shot, especially around that grass. Get some heavier line (fluoro for water clarity you described), TX rig with a heavier weight, and use a size up of whatever lure is working. Mag flukes on a VMC 7/0 EWG with 1/2 weight and 15lb fluoro have brought me some nice fish.

Thanks
I am going to give it a try.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:04 am

You should be throwing bigger baits if everyone is throwing small baits. Big swimbaits are great big fish locators. Small baits are not. You should slow roll baits in the top of the grass if the fish won't come up for baits in the top of the water column. The followers that don't fully commit to big baits in the upper part of the water column will show you their position. Once you know their position, you can go back with other baits and often catch the fish. This is a great way to break down smaller lakes. Most of us guys out West have caught several 10lb.+ fish with smaller baits on spots where big fish revealed themselves with the big baits.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:14 pm

i’m going to try it tomorrow. the max temp today was 79 but tomorrow it will only get up to 58ish
i’m not sure how that is going to affect the fishing but we’ll see tomorrow