SHIMANO OR KISTLER

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
alexleon
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

SHIMANO OR KISTLER

Post by alexleon » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:19 pm

hello, greetings from mexico,
friends you who would choose
a klx kistler or a shimano expride A?
:big grin: :o \:D/

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: SHIMANO OR KISTLER

Post by DavidSA » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:53 am

Hola Alex and welcome to the board!

I recommend you search the board for each rod in the rod forumn and see what others have posted. If you don't find anything, try google.

I've not fished the Shimano or Kistler you ask about but I do own a Kistler HE3 and Zbone and I have only owned them for about 6 months; most of my rods are gloomis.

to me the Kistler Helium 7'3 Heavy is one of the best and most interesting rods I have fished. The zbone is far more expensive, a little bit more sensitive but not as interesting. For plastic fishing for big bass of Mexico, I would recommend you look at the 7'3 xfast helium heavy power.

I've heard guys who really like the KLX line and given it has a gary loomis blank in it, I expect it is very good like the more expensive models. The Helium xfast fishes like a fast to me so I have some concern that a KLX rod would be too slow for me to like for fishing plastics and jigs.

masterbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by masterbass » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:10 am

I've never fished the expride, but I do own klx, helium 3 and z bones. IMO the helium 3 and klx are some of the best rods for the money. The klx are more ideal for reaction baits with it's moderate fast tapers and the helium 3's are fantastic for bottom contact. Kistler rods don't have the bling but are clean, well built rods using nfc im blanks which are some of the best. I like the raw unpainted blanks. They are some of the lightest rods out there.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:17 am

masterbass wrote:I've never fished the expride, but I do own klx, helium 3 and z bones. IMO the helium 3 and klx are some of the best rods for the money. The klx are more ideal for reaction baits with it's moderate fast tapers and the helium 3's are fantastic for bottom contact. Kistler rods don't have the bling but are clean, well built rods using nfc im blanks which are some of the best. I like the raw unpainted blanks. They are some of the lightest rods out there.
agree completely about the nfc blanks. Don't know why we don't hear more about them. Kistler builds on them a clean build. I think many guys want bling maybe? Especially when on sale, I have never fished a better value rod then the HE3. Only have fished a better rod period when I pay about 75 to 100% more.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:49 pm

I do love me some NFC blanks - who doesn't. That said, don't count out the Expride. All my rods are customs EXCEPT some Poisons and Exprides. I've been more than pleasantly surprised with Shimano Jdm blanks. I don't think you can go wrong either way. Choose the rod that has the appeal, characteristics and components you prefer. Build quality on both is above average.

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:19 am

I have used the KLX Grass Punching Stump Grinder, H3 7-3 heavy, and the LE5 Z-Bone at lake El Salto. Have landed 10+ on all.
The KLX was great with jigs in the trees. The H3 was great with jigs or swims. The Z-Bone for bottom contact lizards, worms.
For the $ you can't go wrong with the KLX. It's a solid rod with plenty of power. Have not used the shimano, so can't comment.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:53 pm

TommyG wrote:I have used the KLX Grass Punching Stump Grinder, H3 7-3 heavy, and the LE5 Z-Bone at lake El Salto. Have landed 10+ on all.
The KLX was great with jigs in the trees. The H3 was great with jigs or swims. The Z-Bone for bottom contact lizards, worms.
For the $ you can't go wrong with the KLX. It's a solid rod with plenty of power. Have not used the shimano, so can't comment.
how much faster action is the HE3 vs the stump grinder?

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:43 pm

It's not an apples to apples deal. The KLX is a X-Hvy 3/8-2oz. mod-fast Meat Stick. It is mostly backbone, not a lot of "tip".
The mod-fast just makes it a more parabolic bend. Throw a jig into the stuff and drag them out.
The H3 is 7-3 Hvy 3/8- 1-1/2oz. it has a more refined tip that loads into the meat of the blank very quickly. Very versatile. A lot of power, but not a dedicated hvy cover jig rod. Sorry, best I can explain.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:48 pm

Looks like the OP may have bugged out on us

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:41 pm

I think you are right but I learned something in the thread; maybe I need to convert my punching rods to a KLX. Thanks Tommy!

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:54 am

DavidSA wrote:Hola Alex and welcome to the board!

I recommend you search the board for each rod in the rod forumn and see what others have posted. If you don't find anything, try google.

I've not fished the Shimano or Kistler you ask about but I do own a Kistler HE3 and Zbone and I have only owned them for about 6 months; most of my rods are gloomis.

to me the Kistler Helium 7'3 Heavy is one of the best and most interesting rods I have fished. The zbone is far more expensive, a little bit more sensitive but not as interesting. For plastic fishing for big bass of Mexico, I would recommend you look at the 7'3 xfast helium heavy power.

I've heard guys who really like the KLX line and given it has a gary loomis blank in it, I expect it is very good like the more expensive models. The Helium xfast fishes like a fast to me so I have some concern that a KLX rod would be too slow for me to like for fishing plastics and jigs.
+1