Okuma Cal's Grease

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Okuma Cal's Grease

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:29 am

Is the Okuma brand Cal's Grease the same as the Cal's grease that Tackletrap sells??? This might be a really stupid question, the names are exact but packaging looks different and I have just never heard the Okuma name mentioned with this product until (possibly) finding it on Tacklewarehouse.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Okuma Cal's Grease

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:47 am

Anyone? Preparing for black Friday, and feel I shouldn't be using Quantum "hot sauce" on some of the nicer reels I have...

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Okuma_Ca ... -CCTG.html

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:37 am

I've used cals for years. Never once used it on gearing.

I use krytox 227 and corrosion x, yamalube is great too

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:29 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:I've used cals for years. Never once used it on gearing.

K sounds good. I have been using reel butter and quantum hot sauce oil for a while, they clean reels fine and prevent damage/maintain feel, but I would like a lighter oil and better grease for gears... Never had to grease a drag, when do I do that?

Also, is Okuma who makes Cal's grease??? Tacklewarehouse (check my link) has Okuma Cal's Grease, and that seemed too ironic a name for one brand to make it and another brand be just called Cal's... Is there something I am missing?

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:32 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
ScoobyDoo wrote:I've used cals for years. Never once used it on gearing.

K sounds good. I have been using reel butter and quantum hot sauce oil for a while, they clean reels fine and prevent damage/maintain feel, but I would like a lighter oil and better grease for gears... Never had to grease a drag, when do I do that?

Also, is Okuma who makes Cal's grease??? Tacklewarehouse (check my link) has Okuma Cal's Grease, and that seemed too ironic a name for one brand to make it and another brand be just called Cal's... Is there something I am missing?
There is are a ton of lubes better than reel butter and hot sauce.

I used them and never went back.

Cal's was his own company I don't know if okuma bought him out or licensed it.

You can grease the drag washers at any time. I generally only grease carbon fiber and very lightly. Work it in with my fingers then wipe all the residue off. Almost looks like i didn't do much.

Other companies like daiwa and shimano as recent examples grease the living crap out of their drags in baitcasters.

Either way is fine i guess.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:04 pm

I use shimano specific grease on my reels.

I will use shimano oil that comes with the reel for bearings and I use the drag grease for gears.

Never had a issue...But all my reels are shimano, I do have a Daiwa on the way and its been about 10 years
since I owned one, I wonder what grease is used in the Daiwa JDM reels?

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:39 am

I am tempted to just order the Shimano grease and use it on my Daiwa's. I am still confused as to why TW sells "Cal's grease" but it is made by Okuma. I need some handles and other add on parts so I will be going TackleTrap regardless.

BIG BAIT
Angler
Angler

Post by BIG BAIT » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:59 pm

Yes it is the same exact Cal's Grease. I work for Okuma and we have had a great relationship with Cal for a long time. He helped with the engineering of the Makaira reel line and since all our saltwater reels use Cal's drag grease we were granted permission to re-package his grease.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:49 pm

BIG BAIT wrote:Yes it is the same exact Cal's Grease. I work for Okuma and we have had a great relationship with Cal for a long time. He helped with the engineering of the Makaira reel line and since all our saltwater reels use Cal's drag grease we were granted permission to re-package his grease.
Thank you, I knew it was too weird of a name to be different and they just happened to pick that name. Called the Tackle Trap and talked with a few people month or so back but we couldn't figure it out yet then.