El Salto trip

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
Rodster14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

El Salto trip

Post by Rodster14 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:24 am

My wife just surprised me with a trip for me and my son to the Angler’s Inn at El Salto for my 50th birthday. We leave in a couple of weeks. I’m trying to plan for the trip. I would love to hear from some one who has been there. I have plenty of tackle, but with some tight flight arrangements and no margin for error, I’m not necessarily looking forward to bringing my own rods. They have a tackle lure package (expensive) and it says they supply rods on a first come, first serve basis. I am trying to pack light so I don’t have to check luggage. I’be done some research on a combo backpack that would allow me pack some clothes along with my tackle. Ideally, I could use it as my carry on. Any recommendations?
Last edited by Rodster14 on Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: El Salto trip

Post by TommyG » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:24 am

El Salto is a great lake, you are sure to enjoy the trip. As far as tackle in your carry on, anything with metal or hooks is a no no.
On the outbound trip you can pack reels with line on them. But coming from mexico, you can pack your reels, but no line on them. You didn't say at which lodge you are staying. I stay at Anglers Inn, they have just changed from Abu rods to St. Croix.
So as far as rod selection goes I'm not sure what they have. If they have a big group at the time you are there rod selection will be a bit limited. Enjoy the trip!!! Make sure your camera is loaded and ready when your son hooks that "GRANDE" !!!!

Rodster14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rodster14 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:49 am

We had a great trip at El Salto. I would highly recommend Angler’s Inn. The first day we only caught 15 fish and I caught 14 of them. My 17 year old son was missing fish fishing, getting hung up, getting wind knots, and pretty much any other thing that could go wrong. He was getting really discouraged. I was praying that he would just catch some fish and have some fun. The next morning we went out and caught some fish in the morning. Just before lunch we pulled up to a spot and the guide said to throw rattletraps (we threw Red Eye Shads). My son threw out and caught a fish, then another, and it just kept going. One of those fish he caught was an 11 pounder! He fought it like a champ. I was so happy for him. After lunch we went back out and he never threw anything but the Red Eye Shad. He caught a 7 pounder and some 4’s. We ended up with 52 fish that day. Half were his and all came on that one lure (we are retiring that one). It was a trip we will never forget.

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:18 am

Rodster14 wrote:We had a great trip at El Salto. I would highly recommend Angler’s Inn. The first day we only caught 15 fish and I caught 14 of them. My 17 year old son was missing fish fishing, getting hung up, getting wind knots, and pretty much any other thing that could go wrong. He was getting really discouraged. I was praying that he would just catch some fish and have some fun. The next morning we went out and caught some fish in the morning. Just before lunch we pulled up to a spot and the guide said to throw rattletraps (we threw Red Eye Shads). My son threw out and caught a fish, then another, and it just kept going. One of those fish he caught was an 11 pounder! He fought it like a champ. I was so happy for him. After lunch we went back out and he never threw anything but the Red Eye Shad. He caught a 7 pounder and some 4’s. We ended up with 52 fish that day. Half were his and all came on that one lure (we are retiring that one). It was a trip we will never forget.

Outstanding! =D> 8-)

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:50 am

Well Done!!! =D>

BassFisher83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BassFisher83 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:19 am

Rodster14 wrote:We had a great trip at El Salto. I would highly recommend Angler’s Inn. The first day we only caught 15 fish and I caught 14 of them. My 17 year old son was missing fish fishing, getting hung up, getting wind knots, and pretty much any other thing that could go wrong. He was getting really discouraged. I was praying that he would just catch some fish and have some fun. The next morning we went out and caught some fish in the morning. Just before lunch we pulled up to a spot and the guide said to throw rattletraps (we threw Red Eye Shads). My son threw out and caught a fish, then another, and it just kept going. One of those fish he caught was an 11 pounder! He fought it like a champ. I was so happy for him. After lunch we went back out and he never threw anything but the Red Eye Shad. He caught a 7 pounder and some 4’s. We ended up with 52 fish that day. Half were his and all came on that one lure (we are retiring that one). It was a trip we will never forget.
Very awesome! =D> =D> :D :D

Centipede
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Centipede » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:11 pm

It was great to meet you and your son Rod. I hope to see you two there again sometime.

Duncan

C_diesel2
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by C_diesel2 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:01 pm

Sounds like a Special "Father and Son" experience that you 2 will always remember.... \:D/

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:34 am

On my bucket list.

bpettus2
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bpettus2 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:16 pm

Mine too . But little timid with all that’s going on in that region