What are you using to clean, lube, grease your reels?

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

What are you using to clean, lube, grease your reels?

Post by freelancer27 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:33 pm

Hi all,

I am looking for some recommendations on cleaning/ lubrication material. I am new to completely disassembling my reels and cleaning them.

I am wondering if you could help me understand what you are using to get the job done.

Since I have different brand reels (Shimano, Daiwa, Abu, Lew's) I am wondering you guys can recommend lube, grease, etc. that works for all reels?

Thanks a lot!

Cheers!

trevorvandam
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: What are you using to clean, lube, grease your reels?

Post by trevorvandam » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:32 pm

I don't completely teardown my reels myself. But I use shimano oil and grease. But I'm running low on grease, so I might try some different stuff. Im curios to see what other guys use for grease.

To wipe down my reels, I use penn rod and reel cleaner, really good stuff

accodn2ryan
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by accodn2ryan » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:11 pm

I'm pretty curious as well, but mainly as to what people use to clean and flush bearings. I've read people use lighter fluid, simple green, etc. Just wondering what's the best/safest to use for the bearings, so I don't ruin them.

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:36 pm

I use the Simple Green Crystal for bearings.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:41 pm

I like TSI 321 for spool bearings, CorrosionX grease for internals, and CorrosionX spray for my anti reverse bearing.

I try to keep it simple and cheap when making recommendations on cleaning supplies. Wipe off the excess grease on internal parts with a paper towel. Brake parts cleaner works great for cleaning spool bearings and frame bearings(remove rubber seals) with a final dip in Acetone, and I use Dawn and water with a small brush for thoroughly cleaning internal parts. Stubborn grease often gets a shot of brake parts cleaner as well if the Dawn won't remove it. Only thing to worry about with bearings is if they have polymer cages. Simple Green would definitely be the way to go with those.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:28 pm

JBcrankaddict wrote:I like TSI 321 for spool bearings, CorrosionX grease for internals, and CorrosionX spray for my anti reverse bearing.

I try to keep it simple and cheap when making recommendations on cleaning supplies. Wipe off the excess grease on internal parts with a paper towel. Brake parts cleaner works great for cleaning spool bearings and frame bearings(remove rubber seals) with a final dip in Acetone, and I use Dawn and water with a small brush for thoroughly cleaning internal parts. Stubborn grease often gets a shot of brake parts cleaner as well if the Dawn won't remove it. Only thing to worry about with bearings is if they have polymer cages. Simple Green would definitely be the way to go with those.
Is acetone dangerous for spool bearings??? I just did basic cleaning on ALL of my reels, and flushed EVERY spool bearing with acetone and then added a tiny drop of oil... (All Daiwa reels, but one Chronarch MGL)

Strewth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Strewth » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:34 pm

Yes. Acetone will kill bearings that have plastic cages. Any rubber seals should of course be removed.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:00 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
JBcrankaddict wrote:I like TSI 321 for spool bearings, CorrosionX grease for internals, and CorrosionX spray for my anti reverse bearing.

Is acetone dangerous for spool bearings??? I just did basic cleaning on ALL of my reels, and flushed EVERY spool bearing with acetone and then added a tiny drop of oil... (All Daiwa reels, but one Chronarch MGL)
The only bearings it will harm is the Quantum bearings. They have polymer cages that will be destroyed by acetone. I remember reading about another brand (possibly ZPI) that used them as well, but haven't heard of many people using them. Bocas, Hedgehog, Shimano and Daiwa bearings should all be fine. Acetone doesn't have the cleaning power of brake parts cleaner though, and is much more expensive, so I use brake parts cleaner to flush bearings, especially if they are greased frame bearings, then dip in Acetone to clean off any residue.

Strewth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Strewth » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:03 pm

Paslode cleaner is also very effective for cleaning bearings. Best to spin them in a small jar of it using a Dremel.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:38 am

JBcrankaddict wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:

The only bearings it will harm is the Quantum bearings. They have polymer cages that will be destroyed by acetone. I remember reading about another brand (possibly ZPI) that used them as well, but haven't heard of many people using them. Bocas, Hedgehog, Shimano and Daiwa bearings should all be fine. Acetone doesn't have the cleaning power of brake parts cleaner though, and is much more expensive, so I use brake parts cleaner to flush bearings, especially if they are greased frame bearings, then dip in Acetone to clean off any residue.
Ok well I am going to look for some brake parts cleaner coming up... Cleaned all my reels good, but might have forgotten to lube the SV105, something is making it very rough after a good trip today. Something else I noticed after all those cleanings, it seems to me the Chronarch MGL has more of a connected feeling than my Zillion SV TW's do... The Daiwa's seem to have more of the air/floating feeling.

Giqqo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Giqqo » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:31 am

The stuff i use is Paslode cleaner. Clears everything out and helps getting them nice and smooth again. Cant beat it

djd
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by djd » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:51 am

Here is what I use...

1) Clean bearings with brake cleaner.

2) Rubbing alcohol on rag and q-tips for 'body' parts, handle, etc (basically non lubed external parts).

3) I still have a bunch of TD and Abu Garcia grease from a ways back, still works good and use it on worm gears.

4) Depending on the reel either Yellow Rocket Fuel or TD Oil (The stuff that comes in the syringe looking deal). Used Remington Oil a ways back because it works pretty darn good in cooler temperatures and 'sticks' in the bearings better than some others (versus 'flinging' out of the bearing...u know, technical terms).

djd