Braid Scissors Question

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
medicpelle
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Braid Scissors Question

Post by medicpelle » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:47 am

Lost my pair of braid scissors looking to purchase a new set, whats the best out there?

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Braid Scissors Question

Post by godshippy » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:15 am

A friend of mine told me to use Daiwa scissors and I have never looked back. You don't even need to keep braid taut for it to effortlessly cut through frayed line.

accodn2ryan
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by accodn2ryan » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:16 am

Boomerang or fiskars hasn't failed me yet, they even cut braid when it's limp.

tacklejunkie2
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tacklejunkie2 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:23 am

http://www.outdoorproshop.com is selling a pitbull tackle cutter. I can't say how good they are, but the videos look pretty interesting.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:36 am

I quit and gave up on cutters. I use a cheap exacto razor knife or an even cheaper break off razor blade knife. I also use the little square razor blades you buy in a little card board box. I'm just really careful and keep them in the top of a bag, sealed in their box or retracted in their tool. I always cut with no strings or leftovers sticking out from the knot/braid. I just fold over at the connecting knot and kind of shimmy back and forth until the braid slices, nice and smooth.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:52 pm

I use Shout PE scissors, Japanese brand.

Last edited by Cracker on Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

cortman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cortman » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:23 pm

Those Pit Bull cutters are the real deal. I have a pair and they are the best I've used by far. Only had them a couple months so I personally can't say anything about the longevity, but they are suspended from my backpack on a retractor and so they get banged around a good bit and they still look and work like new.

medicpelle
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by medicpelle » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:16 am

Thanks for the feedback

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:39 am

They all start sharp, but they only stay sharp if you only cut braid with them. You will lose sharpness if you make contact with the hook eyelet. I have a general use set of scissors in my boat for cutting everything else.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:07 am

DirtyD64 wrote:I quit and gave up on cutters. I use a cheap exacto razor knife or an even cheaper break off razor blade knife. I also use the little square razor blades you buy in a little card board box. I'm just really careful and keep them in the top of a bag, sealed in their box or retracted in their tool. I always cut with no strings or leftovers sticking out from the knot/braid. I just fold over at the connecting knot and kind of shimmy back and forth until the braid slices, nice and smooth.
I always leave a 1/4"+ tag on my braid knots. Braid can slip, and that tag makes sure it stays knotted. The tag is limp, so it never causes problems in the cast, and doesn't pick up grass/weeds.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:03 pm

mark poulson wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:I quit and gave up on cutters. I use a cheap exacto razor knife or an even cheaper break off razor blade knife. I also use the little square razor blades you buy in a little card board box. I'm just really careful and keep them in the top of a bag, sealed in their box or retracted in their tool. I always cut with no strings or leftovers sticking out from the knot/braid. I just fold over at the connecting knot and kind of shimmy back and forth until the braid slices, nice and smooth.
I always leave a 1/4"+ tag on my braid knots. Braid can slip, and that tag makes sure it stays knotted. The tag is limp, so it never causes problems in the cast, and doesn't pick up grass/weeds.
Other than frogs or dirty water flipping I NEVER tie straight braid. The only reason I cut close is for leaders. I use the Alberto or uni/uni. I know it's going out of style but I still use the uni/uni most. I cut close to the knot with a razor blade and haven't had any issues yet, knock on wood. I figure you are spot on about the limp braid, I should start leaving a bit more. I was just always scared it would hurt the guides.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:30 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
mark poulson wrote:
Other than frogs or dirty water flipping I NEVER tie straight braid. The only reason I cut close is for leaders. I use the Alberto or uni/uni. I know it's going out of style but I still use the uni/uni most. I cut close to the knot with a razor blade and haven't had any issues yet, knock on wood. I figure you are spot on about the limp braid, I should start leaving a bit more. I was just always scared it would hurt the guides.
I've been tying braid to either mono or fluoro for 10+ years, leaving a tag on the braid, and I have never had any guide issues.
When you think about it, the tag will lay back against the mainline on the cast, and I don't think it makes a difference when it comes back through the guides on the retrieve/fight.

OkobojiEagle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by OkobojiEagle » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:40 pm

mark poulson wrote:I always leave a 1/4"+ tag on my braid knots. Braid can slip, and that tag makes sure it stays knotted. The tag is limp, so it never causes problems in the cast, and doesn't pick up grass/weeds.
Exactly!

oe

BlaineFred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BlaineFred » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:37 pm

I find that kids' elementary school scissors work great in cutting braid.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:53 pm

Those kvd split ring pliers do a really good job cutting braid clean.
But i like nippers...they can get closer to tag ends of line to line joins.
The ll bean nippers suck..but the sims are good s30v blade.