Looking for a BFS set up

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
freelancer27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 217
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:08 am

Looking for a BFS set up

Postby freelancer27 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:06 pm

Hi all,

I am currently using a G. Loomis E6X Casting Rod 6'8" Med Hvy 803C JWR with a Lew’s Team Pro Speed Spool (system is spooled with 20 pound braid with 8 pound mono leader).

I am looking to throw lighter lures than this combo is currently capable of. I am struggling to get a 1/8oz popper further than 15 yards and for weightless plastics I would like to go even lighter than this.


What kind of BFS set ups are you guys using or can recommend?

Budget is around 400-500 USD.

Thanks all!

fffishing
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 68
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:18 am
Location: Toronto

Re: Looking for a BFS set up

Postby fffishing » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:25 pm

DAIWA ALPHAS AIR
G.Loomis CR 841-1 GL3 or CR 842-2 GL3

freelancer27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 217
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:08 am

Re: Looking for a BFS set up

Postby freelancer27 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:30 pm

fffishing wrote:DAIWA ALPHAS AIR
G.Loomis CR 841-1 GL3 or CR 842-2 GL3


What about the reel?

User avatar
rockchalk06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 504
Joined: Fri May 24, 2013 5:49 pm
Location: OK

Re: Looking for a BFS set up

Postby rockchalk06 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:33 pm

I'm loving my G. Loomis GLX852 JWR. I just took a 100 sized reel and put a BFS spool in it along with a tun and some ZPI bearings. 7# FC Sniper and I can throw a 3" senko like a boss.

If you have a 50 sized Shimano reel, there are two bfs spools forsale here at the forums.

Image

freelancer27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 217
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:08 am

Re: Looking for a BFS set up

Postby freelancer27 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:00 pm

rockchalk06 wrote:I'm loving my G. Loomis GLX852 JWR. I just took a 100 sized reel and put a BFS spool in it along with a tun and some ZPI bearings. 7# FC Sniper and I can throw a 3" senko like a boss.

If you have a 50 sized Shimano reel, there are two bfs spools forsale here at the forums.

Image


Looks indeed sweet, but not sure if I have money for a BFS reel/spool left.

My current reels are:

* Shimano:
** Metanium MGL (that I am thinking of selling to be able to purchase a BFS reel)

* Daiwa:
** 2x SV103
* Lew’s Team Pro Speed Spool

spencerinstl
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1117
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:43 am
Location: IL

Re: Looking for a BFS set up

Postby spencerinstl » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:30 pm

A gloomis CR 721 is an excellent finesse rod for light baits and you can find a used PX68 reel on Ebay from about 170 to 260 depending in how good of shape you need it to be in.
Thanks for the epiphany captain obvious

User avatar
cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 3880
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:32 pm
Location: CANADA

Re: Looking for a BFS set up

Postby cndbasshunter » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:51 pm

checkout the new mbr842 glx

User avatar
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 4726
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:20 pm

Re: Looking for a BFS set up

Postby Hogsticker2 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:50 pm

I'd recommend the Daiwa Alphas Air. Super performance out of the box at a reasonable price.
As for the rod, the list is never ending. Perhaps some further details as to what you want from said rod. The more specific, the easier it is to narrow it down.

User avatar
LowRange
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:18 am

Re: Looking for a BFS set up

Postby LowRange » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:07 pm

15 yards on an 1/8 oz popper is pretty good. Tiny poppers like that are hard to cast. Poor aerodynamic properties I guess, I can cast an 1/8 oz trap over twice that but struggle with a 1/8 oz Teeny Wee Pop R. If you already have an SV103 you can try one of the BFS spools, such as the DIY, for the platform to see if you like it. Also consider a tiny in size 3/16 oz popper such as the Megabass baby pop x. Small but mighty.

Dalleinf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 356
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:12 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: Looking for a BFS set up

Postby Dalleinf » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:37 am

New reels to consider:
Daiwa Alphas Air
Shimano Scorpion BFS
- I have the Alphas Air, which is nice. The Scorpion BFS should perform similar to my Conquest BFS, which is great.

Aftermarket spools to consider:
KTF spool for the Met MGL
http://www.karil.co.jp/ktf/shimano_spool/
RCS 1016 SV G1 for your SV103s
http://www.hedgehog-studio.co.jp/phone/product/3763
- I have both spools in said reels and they work great. Unfortunately you have to transfer the braking system from your original Met MGL spool to the KTF spool (for crying out loud - Shimano - make it possible to procure the braking system!!!!). The DIY spools are certainly useable in the SV103, but in my hands they are somewhat temperamental and prone to overruns (in the SV103).

Rods:
I like the Major Craft offerings (e.g. Volkey or N-One) but if I lived in the US I would probably stick to US rods. I have the Loomis CR721, which is very nice, but perhpaps a little too much of a rod for 1/8 oz (or less) IMO. However, compared to your MH rod it will make for a big improvement.

I agree that 15 yards with a small popper is quite OK. A dedicated BFS setup will get you a little further with less effort, but do not expect miracles :-)

nikbrewer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 105
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:21 am

Re: Looking for a BFS set up

Postby nikbrewer » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:57 am

for really small stuff, i am using a SV105 on a kuying L action rod. I also use stock curado 70's (they now have BFS spools for these) or a tatula CT with the Rays semi shallow spool. I cast 1/8" stuff all day with this stuff. If i need something slightly stiffer, i have a Academy house brand 6'6" medium micro guide rod that is rated down to 1/8 oz. It work great with small frogs, small swim baits, ect.

robsone79
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:12 am

Re: Looking for a BFS set up

Postby robsone79 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:42 am

try a scorpion bfs its around $260 free shipping at digitaka.com.
as for rods kuying tenton L 1.98m runs you around $60-$70 at alieexpress.com
for a US rod take a look at the phenix recon 682 its $180 at TW
these should keep you under the $500
just as a heads up, you're headed towards a dark and expensive path :big grin:
good luck, lets us know what you get

freelancer27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 217
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:08 am

Re: Looking for a BFS set up

Postby freelancer27 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:30 am

Dalleinf wrote:New reels to consider:
Daiwa Alphas Air
Shimano Scorpion BFS
- I have the Alphas Air, which is nice. The Scorpion BFS should perform similar to my Conquest BFS, which is great.

Aftermarket spools to consider:
KTF spool for the Met MGL
http://www.karil.co.jp/ktf/shimano_spool/
RCS 1016 SV G1 for your SV103s
http://www.hedgehog-studio.co.jp/phone/product/3763
- I have both spools in said reels and they work great. Unfortunately you have to transfer the braking system from your original Met MGL spool to the KTF spool (for crying out loud - Shimano - make it possible to procure the braking system!!!!). The DIY spools are certainly useable in the SV103, but in my hands they are somewhat temperamental and prone to overruns (in the SV103).

Rods:
I like the Major Craft offerings (e.g. Volkey or N-One) but if I lived in the US I would probably stick to US rods. I have the Loomis CR721, which is very nice, but perhpaps a little too much of a rod for 1/8 oz (or less) IMO. However, compared to your MH rod it will make for a big improvement.

I agree that 15 yards with a small popper is quite OK. A dedicated BFS setup will get you a little further with less effort, but do not expect miracles :-)



Thanks all for your input!


I think I might be looking closer into getting a BFS spool for one of my SV103. Just wondering what I would be able to expect vs a dedicated BFS reel like a Scorpion BFS or even Aldebaran BFS. I do not mind the extra cost, but would stay away from such a big investment if the gains are just minimal (<15 yards plus on what I am currently getting).

Thanks again!

Dalleinf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 356
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:12 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: Looking for a BFS set up

Postby Dalleinf » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:12 am

Dedicated BFS reel vs. Aftermarket spool in SV103/Met:
The spool - quality, weight, depth - is just so very important when throwing light lures.
For 1/8-1/4 oz lures the G1 SV spool and KTF spool will be great. For sub 1/8 oz lures you may be better off with a dedicated BFS reel.

Casting distance:
You are not going to double your casting distance with a BFS reel or aftermarket spool. However, you may get somewhere around additional 5-10 yards.
I get around 22-25 yards with a 1/8 inline spinner using the SV103 / Met MgL and aftermarket spool.
The big difference will be the ease with which you can throw the light lures.

Houndfish
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 169
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:57 pm
Location: Western Shore MD

Re: Looking for a BFS set up

Postby Houndfish » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:07 am

Dalleinf wrote:New reels to consider:
I have the Loomis CR721, which is very nice, but perhpaps a little too much of a rod for 1/8 oz (or less) IMO.


I have one as well and agree, it does not perform well for me at it's lower rating, which is iirc 3/16oz. It really starts to shine around 5/16 to 3/8oz lures.


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests