Bow mount qustion

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Bow mount qustion

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:44 pm

I will be getting a new trolling motor and bow mount fish finder soon.

I think I will get the MK Maxxum 70, I'm not sure if I should go with the variable speed since I heard it can cause
the fish finder to have lots of RF (noise) vs the 5 speed.

Thoughts?

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Bow mount qustion

Post by njbasscat » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:03 pm

Both of my fish finders are tied into my starting battery. My trolling motor has its own batteries. This eliminates most interference. I had a 4 bank battery charger in the boat and when my three trolling batteries and starting battery were all connected, I experienced some bad interference. I have 2 on board chargers in my boat now to remedy this. One for my starting battery and one for the trolling motor batteries.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:16 pm

njbasscat wrote:Both of my fish finders are tied into my starting battery. My trolling motor has its own batteries. This eliminates most interference. I had a 4 bank battery charger in the boat and when my three trolling batteries and starting battery were all connected, I experienced some bad interference. I have 2 on board chargers in my boat now to remedy this. One for my starting battery and one for the trolling motor batteries.
If you don't already, keep a set of jumper cables in the boat to jump the outboard battery off the trolling motor batteries in the event the fishfinders drain the battery. Been there and done that.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:25 pm

LowRange wrote:
njbasscat wrote:Both of my fish finders are tied into my starting battery. My trolling motor has its own batteries. This eliminates most interference. I had a 4 bank battery charger in the boat and when my three trolling batteries and starting battery were all connected, I experienced some bad interference. I have 2 on board chargers in my boat now to remedy this. One for my starting battery and one for the trolling motor batteries.
If you don't already, keep a set of jumper cables in the boat to jump the outboard battery off the trolling motor batteries in the event the fishfinders drain the battery. Been there and done that.
Definitly a good idea. I also recommend the biggest AGM battery you can afford for your starting battery.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:59 am

I just ordered a 3 bank charge....

Hope it does not cause problems

Hallman
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Hallman » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:55 am

LowRange wrote:
Probably a better idea weight wise than what I do. I carry one of those battery jump packs in my boat which also has a tire inflator which can be handy for trailer tires