Basic Rod + Braid > High end rod + fluro

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Basic Rod + Braid > High end rod + fluro

Post by freelancer27 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:42 pm

Hi all,

I am in the market for a jig rod and I am looking at some higher end gear (St.Croix Legend Elite, GLX 844C, etc.).

Today I had the chance to sneak out after work to get to the lake for some hours. I brought the following combos:

* Daiwa Steez XT + Metanium MGL + 12 # Sunline Super FC Sniper Fluorocarbon Green
* Okuma Scott Martin TCS Casting Rod 7'3" Heavy + Daiwa SV103XS + 50 # Sufix 832 Braided Line Lo-Vis Green

Here is what I found:

Though the Daiwa Steez XT should be the most sensitive combo given its high quality blank I found that the Okuma with the braid set up was wayyyyy more sensitive. I could feel every little stoke and branch when I was moving the jig.

To summarize: seems like I can save a LOT of money and just use braid as the line (or braid with a short leader). Also I caught a lot of (big) fish on the braid which really surprised me given that this line is pretty visible and that the fish in this part of the lake do get some pressure...

Thoughts?

Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Basic Rod + Braid > High end rod + fluro

Post by Jason Penn » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:51 am

what baits were you using?

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:57 am

If you're not using a technique that involves slack line, then braid is going to be more sensitive. I just hate the sound of braid, so I prefer mono or fluoro for that reason.

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:50 am

Put that SV103 on the Steez XT for bottom contact, put the Met on the Okuma for moving baits, IMHO, and you are golden!

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:27 am

Jason Penn wrote:what baits were you using?
Mostly 1/2-3/4 oz Jigs.
TommyG wrote:Put that SV103 on the Steez XT for bottom contact, put the Met on the Okuma for moving baits, IMHO, and you are golden!
The Steez is a MH that has more the power of a Medium. So not really suited for larger Jigs. I prefer the rod for wacky rigs and lipless cranks.

johns
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by johns » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:27 am

I use braid on all my set ups. Most of my rods run between 150 and 250, nothing really high end. With the braid you can feel everything. After a little use you know the difference between all the cover and structure. Cranking thru matts and weeds is one of my favorite techniques. The braid helps with the feel as you are worming the squarebill over and thru the weeds and when you have to pop it out. Using the correct power rod helps with not ripping hooks out. I spend my money on higher end reels which for me makes the fishing experiance much more pleasurable. There is no wrong way to fish!!

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:58 am

You need to try both rods with the same line before you decide.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:37 pm

If there is no slack in the line and it's ALWAYS tight, of course braid will offer better sensitivity. It has no stretch. Fish braid with any slack in the line or in wind and you won't feel much. So in summary, if you want to fish where you're constantly pulling your bait, use braid. Unfortunately, constantly pulling your bait is generally not the most effective and efficient way to fish under most conditions. As already stated, put the fluoro on the Okuma rod or the braid on the Steez. . . Then decide

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:30 am

Braid + High end blank= Amazing

accodn2ryan
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by accodn2ryan » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:35 pm

Since you're jig fishing, definitely choose braid since you're going to need to have your line tight majority of the time for bottom contact.

I would just opt for braid + high end rod :mrgreen:

djd
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by djd » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:40 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:If there is no slack in the line and it's ALWAYS tight, of course braid will offer better sensitivity. It has no stretch. Fish braid with any slack in the line or in wind and you won't feel much. So in summary, if you want to fish where you're constantly pulling your bait, use braid. Unfortunately, constantly pulling your bait is generally not the most effective and efficient way to fish under most conditions. As already stated, put the fluoro on the Okuma rod or the braid on the Steez. . . Then decide
Unless I'm misunderstanding the statement above... Braid with slack is certainly not as sensitive as taut braid, but slack braid is certainly more sensitive than slack fluoro or mono for the same reason its more sensitive taut than fluoro or mono... The lack of stretch transfers movement and vibration better than fluoro or mono.

djd

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:43 pm

djd wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:If there is no slack in the line and it's ALWAYS tight, of course braid will offer better sensitivity. It has no stretch. Fish braid with any slack in the line or in wind and you won't feel much. So in summary, if you want to fish where you're constantly pulling your bait, use braid. Unfortunately, constantly pulling your bait is generally not the most effective and efficient way to fish under most conditions. As already stated, put the fluoro on the Okuma rod or the braid on the Steez. . . Then decide
Unless I'm misunderstanding the statement above... Braid with slack is certainly not as sensitive as taut braid, but slack braid is certainly more sensitive than slack fluoro or mono for the same reason its more sensitive taut than fluoro or mono... The lack of stretch transfers movement and vibration better than fluoro or mono.

djd
No, slack braid doesn't transfer any appreciable vibration at all. Fluoro is the most sensitive on slack line because it's a crystalline solid, (unlike nylon, which I'm pretty sure is an amorphous solid) and has a higher density than either nylon or braid, so it transmits vibration better.

Braid is very sensitive only when taut for the same reason a tin can phone works only when taut.
This is the way.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:26 pm

poisonokie wrote:
djd wrote:

djd
No, slack braid doesn't transfer any appreciable vibration at all. Fluoro is the most sensitive on slack line because it's a crystalline solid, (unlike nylon, which I'm pretty sure is an amorphous solid) and has a higher density than either nylon or braid, so it transmits vibration better.

Braid is very sensitive only when taut for the same reason a tin can phone works only when taut.
Much more scientific answer than I have. I converted my father in law to fluorocarbon when we jig for walleye, and he absolutely hates the stuff. It's hard to detect when a big eye picks up your bait. Very soft. Almost impossible to detect with braid in a decent wind, even with your rod tip down.

Bass1980
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bass1980 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:55 pm

Slack line sensitivity flouro > braid and it's not even close. As someone who throws a lot of weightless senkos pre summer it was night and day after I made the switch years ago.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:08 pm

Bass1980 wrote:Slack line sensitivity flouro > braid and it's not even close. As someone who throws a lot of weightless senkos pre summer it was night and day after I made the switch years ago.
I learned by experience as well. Fluorocarbon gets the nod for slack line. Braid hands down is more sensitive than fluorocarbon when tight.

I do have something to add. I have better "feel" with fluorocarbon. It's like braid just has an "on/off" switch and Fluorocarbon has a "dimmer switch". I can just feel better with Fluorocarbon.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing