What piece of cheap or tackle gear do you use and love?

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
nikbrewer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

What piece of cheap or tackle gear do you use and love?

Post by nikbrewer » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:53 am

I know most of us on here love our high end gear. JDM rods and reels, $50 swim baits, ect. But, we must all have some cheap gear that we use and love, but never post about.

I ask about this because i just found a $25 rod i use all the time now.

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/fi ... yId=242051

Its a cheap medium power ( should be ML in my opinion) 2 piece rod, and i find i use it all the time. I actually have 2 now. It fits perfectly under the floor of my car, and with my curado 70, i can throw 1/8 oz ned rigs, 1/8 spinner baits, and drop shots with it in all the creeks around here. ALso, in my small kayak, its great, because it i need to ever untangle line from the end or run line through the guides, the short length is much easier to deal with.

Also have a Quantum accurist baitcaster i picked up from Cabela's bargain cave for 25$ new. Pretty darn good reel for that price.

So, what low end items do you secretly use but don't post about on here?

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: What piece of cheap or tackle gear do you use and love?

Post by Finnz922 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:10 am

I have a Daiwa Iaconelli 7'2"H that I really like that I paid under $75 for. I also paid $75 for a Daiwa Cielo 7'H which is a dream to fish with. I don't know that they are cheap, but the Ike rod is definitely not one I brag about using, I just like the way it feels throwing a number of different techniques. The Cielo was a steal and I use that rod for Swing Head jigs and 10" worms.

robsone79
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by robsone79 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:40 am

I use a 4'6" spincast rod for bluegill in local ponds. rod and reel combo $35. last year I put on a curado 50e with bfs spool and bearings. its a fun little set up.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:04 am

I have a $25 or $30 Laguna 5Bi 500 seated on a $50 BPS Micro-Lite Graphite UL 2pc for panfish. It's great for sub 1/32 jigheads with those tiny powerbait grubs that come in a jar as well as salmon eggs soaked under cigar floats for trout. That's the cheapest gear I have and I don't feel like I could do much better for the purpose it serves.

The next cheapest is a ML Micro-Lite with an Exceler EXE 1500SH for small spots/sunfish in clear creeks.
This is the way.

papabassin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by papabassin » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:16 am

Not cheap necessarily but a non-enthusiast combo I use ALL the time is my go-to froggin' setup -- An ALX Zolo Toadface paired w/a Daiwa Tatula Tactical. It's definitely cheap in comparison to some of the combos it lays next to on the front deck! :doh: :lol:

cortman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cortman » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:12 pm

I have my first ever baitcasting setup, a Lews LFS 6.8:1 and 13 Fishing Omen Black 1st gen. Solid, reliable, inexpensive setup. I'll never get rid of it.

Mike and Pike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike and Pike » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:12 pm

cortman wrote:I have my first ever baitcasting setup, a Lews LFS 6.8:1 and 13 Fishing Omen Black 1st gen. Solid, reliable, inexpensive setup. I'll never get rid of it.
I have two Omen Black Muskie rods and for the money they can't be beat. A bit heavy and the components are not top notch, but they perform.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:00 pm

I have an UL Ugly Strick with a Zebco underspin that I use all and in the dock.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:47 pm

My trout spinning gear, is all economy stuff. Okuma Celilo, Berkley Lightning rod, Pfluegler Trion, and President reels.

A few Shimano Clarus' for friends and family.
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:10 am

I have an Abu Garcia Orra S30 (older gen 1), with 8lb Power Pro and mounted on a Bass Pro Carbonlite (old black one, was like $50). I use it for 1/8 and 1/16 jigheads with tiny plastics for super finesse or crappie/walleye. The rod is a fairly stiff ML but rated like a light powered rod (1/16-3/8). Some how though, with the larger 30 size spinning reel and the super thin line, this rod bombs lures out there. If I am fishing with someone new to fishing, I let them use it with weightless plastics or 2.8 Keitechs too. Snagged at least a 20lb carp and handled it easily.

hotdogin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hotdogin » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:01 pm

The day before my local Gander Mt closed its doors i was able to pick up one of their tournament series spinning rods for $25, normally 80. It's just a 6' light action, but I thought what the hell, why not. Threw a new Trion on it, and it's a decent little combo.I personally love the Plfueger Presidents and Trions. They can take a beating and keep on spinning. Also they are great for friends & family to use because you don't have to worry about them getting completely ruined. Oh, also that day I was able to get some Stutter Steps for $1.90 each.
just hotdogin it

capt1fish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by capt1fish » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:01 pm

Lexa 100 baitcast reel in 4.9:1 gear ratio for a-rigs and dead of winter swimbaiting.
Okuma rods and 6:1 Lexa reels for trout trolling.
$4 bargain bin Bill Lewis Rattle traps
$2.99 Berkley Havoc Pit Boss plastics
Trilene XL for crappie and trout spin rods. Can't beat the price and performance of their 4lb test

Mike and Pike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike and Pike » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:40 am

Mr Twister Grub Curly Tail.
Being that there are many different grades of tenacity in rubber used , when I'm not interested in replacing a Keitech or Senco or , or , or...the Twister takes about 10x the abuse of the 'less rigid' Japanese stuff and we all know the price difference.

Normware
Angler
Angler

Post by Normware » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:48 am

A Fenwick Elitetech baitcasting Crankbait rod. The older 2 colour rods. Picked it as it was the last rod they had in that line. Got it for 50$ (down from marked price of $70).

One of my better light crankbait rods.

Also have some Daiwa Aird spinning reels and some Shimano Sahara reels that I regularly use.

nikbrewer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by nikbrewer » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:54 pm

I also have several of H2O express rods i picked up like 70% off at academy when they were clearing them out. Have a 6'6" medium action micro guide one i love, only paid like 30$. I has a short handle which i prefer, and use it for throwing light stuff all the time.

I am a sucker for the cabela's bargain cave, so i have several reels and other items i have purchased there cheap