Is anyone else dissapointed in Icast '17?

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
Hennessy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Is anyone else dissapointed in Icast '17?

Post by Hennessy » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:00 am

Guess i could have posted this under rods. But if you fish with nrx, zbones & steez ags rods, it really takes alot to get your attention. I really didn't expect too much from daiwa as they had release some reels right before icast. I had tried 13 fishing kp & was not happy, so the new $200 ball bearing free reel doesn't interest me one bit. And for shimano, if you're using 13 metaniums and met mgls, i see NO sense in picking up a curado k. I don't own a spinning combo, so that didn't come into play. Think shimano could have did better with their higher end reels. Maybe im just dissapointed not seeing what id hope would have came out. For one, a metanium mgl DC would have been NICE. The other i was wanting to see, a aldebaran 50xg(non bfs reel). Both i think would have been major sellers. Wondering what others think, cause no casting reel had that "wow" factor at icast to me

Rodster14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Is anyone else dissapointed in Icast '17?

Post by Rodster14 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:00 am

I wasn't that impressesed either. The only thing that caught my eye was the new Conquest rod. Once I lay hands on one, I could become my 50th birthday gift...

Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jason Penn » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:14 am

seems the classic expo is really becoming the place new gear is introduced. it's the same thing in the music instrument industry. summer namm doesn't seem to produce a lot.

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:53 am

I think this was an awesome year for spinning reel users, they got some really nice reels this year.

There was a handful of cool lures I'll be trying, mostly from the Japanese companies.

I didn't see any rods of interest. I don't fish split grip rods, so that rules out 95%+ of the rods I saw at Icast. But for split grip guys I think there was some good stuff.

Same with baitcasters, nothing of interest. My 'reel money' will go towards the new Daiwa spools from ZPI & SLP released this year.

papabassin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by papabassin » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:18 am

I have to agree for the most part.

As intrigued as I was in the "Zero" bearing, "Zero" noise reel from 13 Fishing when I first heard about it, I'm not planning on buying one. I'd rather save my money for a high end purchase. Same goes for the Curado K. As amazing as I think it's going to be, especially at that price point..I'd still rather have a Met. Money spent on reels this year for me will be similar to Spooky -- New spools, tuning up older Shimanos and Daiwas or making limited edition Megabass/Daiwa purchases.

I do think the Exsence Spinning Reel from Shimano is badass, and I'm really excited for the Conquest rods...but other than that, if you are into high-end rods and reels, then you were probably somewhat disappointed overall.

I thought it was an exciting year for lures though. There are definitely some I am going to be trying out.

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:43 am

Affordable Sunline Braid, Daiwa Tatula/Ballistic Spinning, 13 "Zero Noise", Strike King KVD 4.0, and that is about it for me.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:20 am

I cant wait for those Chinese knock off baits to become available! \:D/
<")))><{

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:14 am

Glad didn't go there this year, some of the "new" stuff already been available in Japan for several years.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:09 pm

Where are you guys seeing the new stuff? I don't do facebook so I think I missed a lot of the announcements that were not in that Bassmaster slideshow.

papabassin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by papabassin » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:15 pm

Houndfish wrote:Where are you guys seeing the new stuff? I don't do facebook so I think I missed a lot of the announcements that were not in that Bassmaster slideshow.
Videos:
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/icast17. ... tent=video

Product List:
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/icastord ... ew_product

capt1fish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by capt1fish » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:15 pm

I'm most curious about the Shimano "Over 8" Expride in the flipping and cranking models.

Conquest rods, though still to be determined, is diminishing returns for their price point. Already fishing with a fleet of NRX so the gains probably don't outweigh the cost. Will let early adopters use and report back.

Some terminal tackle released are cool. I'm always up for better jig heads, hooks, etc.

Fishinfanatic115
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Fishinfanatic115 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:22 pm

I agree to an extent, there seemed to be a lot of "revamps" or variations of existing products, especially in the rod and reel department. The new Curado looks to be very good, but new items like the Conquest and the Sustain seem to be only slight improvements on existing design. That being said, I do like the looks of the Conquest, and hopefully will be picking one (or more?) up this coming fall or winter, and that new Exsence does look like a mean spinning reel, but I was hoping for something just a little more from this iCast.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:31 pm

papabassin wrote:
Houndfish wrote:Where are you guys seeing the new stuff? I don't do facebook so I think I missed a lot of the announcements that were not in that Bassmaster slideshow.
Videos:
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/icast17. ... tent=video

Product List:
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/icastord ... ew_product
I swear that was not there a few days ago! Thanks!

AlgonquinFan
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by AlgonquinFan » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:30 am

No 1600 size ABU round reels :(

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:45 am

Shimano/Gloomis and Abu Garcia came with the fire, everyone else was meh.. Going to try out that Concept Z though, or at least see if the bearings will fit any of my existing reels. Abu didnt leak anything that I saw but they came out with the revamped Revo lineup(I knew it was coming but I expected there to be more leaks and build up). The new ICVB brakes with lockable brake shoes to go head to head with SVS Infinity is exciting.