Equipment Related Pet Peeves

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
Agentboost
Angler
Angler

Re: Equipment Related Pet Peeves

Post by Agentboost » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:46 pm

Fishing4Fun wrote:Disrespectful fisherman - 1. Guys that are extra tough on there gear - Constantly boat flipping every fish, tossing rods and reels around on the deck, no reel covers for decent gear nor covers for their rods.
I am with you on that, I know a few of these guys. I also hate seeing guys piling up their rods and reels on their deck. Like their rods need to mate or something and then kicking the pile over to land a fish. ](*,)

SteveSchmelzle
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SteveSchmelzle » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:30 am

I do both those things....

i've never had a rod or reel bag on the boat...and I only run a 17' boat so I have 10 rods along the side, on top of each other.

no shelve queens in my lineup.

all 7 of my NRX's have rod rash....and I won't be selling any of them....

I've learned there are two distinctly different types of fisherman on this board.....
1-2%

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:37 am

SteveSchmelzle wrote:I do both those things....

i've never had a rod or reel bag on the boat...and I only run a 17' boat so I have 10 rods along the side, on top of each other.

no shelve queens in my lineup.

all 7 of my NRX's have rod rash....and I won't be selling any of them....

I've learned there are two distinctly different types of fisherman on this board.....
I don't mind some rash, as long as guides aren't bent and reels aren't performance hindered, I'm good. On our aluminum boat general purpose/heavier rods are on one side, and finesse offerings are on the other. One of my friends has an SS/SV that looks terrible and is newer than mine, works perfect though... well as good as an SS/SV can...

angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by angry john » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:13 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Flippers - No I am not talking about what you put on your feet nor hoisting bass into the boat using the rod. I am talking about guys that buy tackle low and sell it high. They watch for trends and discontinued items and buy them or they wait for others to unload their gear at low prices with not intentions of using it only to turn around and sell it at a later date for a profit. They seem to be dead set on an price that allows them to make money on the item and will not accept anything less for it. They often bump posts with no price drops. Can't stand these type of people.
It drives me insane in all of my hobbies when people do this. Cant find a 22 round to save my life but guys with 15,000 rounds ready to sell them at double or triple the rate well because they just want to make money. Been wanting some of the hudd shads and they can be had for triple the price on ebay but TW has been out of stock for months...

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:18 pm

angry john wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
Flippers - No I am not talking about what you put on your feet nor hoisting bass into the boat using the rod. I am talking about guys that buy tackle low and sell it high. They watch for trends and discontinued items and buy them or they wait for others to unload their gear at low prices with not intentions of using it only to turn around and sell it at a later date for a profit. They seem to be dead set on an price that allows them to make money on the item and will not accept anything less for it. They often bump posts with no price drops. Can't stand these type of people.
It drives me insane in all of my hobbies when people do this. Cant find a 22 round to save my life but guys with 15,000 rounds ready to sell them at double or triple the rate well because they just want to make money. Been wanting some of the hudd shads and they can be had for triple the price on ebay but TW has been out of stock for months...[/quote

Ahhh, the supply and demand dynamic of capitalism at work. Happens all day every day, most people don't take notice until it affects something they're after. But sometimes the market turns like a rabid pit bull and "Mr 22 round hoarder" is left with an inventory he's lucky to break even on.

You ALWAYS have the option to say "no" ...

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:59 am

BlaineFred wrote:Guys selling used gear on fishing websites at prices that are near what new gear can be bought.

Recent example: a guy selling a used reel for $120, a reel that can be bought brand new on eBay at $132, with free shipping. He may have bought it new for $200, but the current price is $132 new shipped.

I just could not do that myself. The used price should be at least 25 %, maybe 33 1/3 %, off the current price of a new one, not what the new one cost two years ago.

A second little peeve is a guy who says that he only made a few casts, and then asks for a price very close a new one. I liken that to buying a new car and driving it off the car dealer's lot. The car is now used, and it has lost considerable value.
Apples and oranges. Nope on 25%-33%.
You have two choices:
Pay the price or move on along.
There are MANY people here who sell collector gear for high prices if condition warrants.

Mike and Pike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike and Pike » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:39 pm

Capitalism at it's best with the .22 issue. And there is a big difference between asking and selling.
If you don't personally know the guy trying to triple his cash he's a business man.
If your buddy or a member of a hobby community is trying to do the same thing , he is a douche.
Anybody want to buy a new Mega Barfighter for a cheap $300?

BlaineFred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BlaineFred » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:07 pm

Johnny A wrote:
BlaineFred wrote:Guys selling used gear on fishing websites at prices that are near what new gear can be bought.

Recent example: a guy selling a used reel for $120, a reel that can be bought brand new on eBay at $132, with free shipping. He may have bought it new for $200, but the current price is $132 new shipped.

I just could not do that myself. The used price should be at least 25 %, maybe 33 1/3 %, off the current price of a new one, not what the new one cost two years ago.

A second little peeve is a guy who says that he only made a few casts, and then asks for a price very close a new one. I liken that to buying a new car and driving it off the car dealer's lot. The car is now used, and it has lost considerable value.
You have two choices:
There are MANY people here who sell collector gear for high prices if condition warrants.
I have bought some vintage gear at what I considered to be reasonable prices, just to add to my collection. I bought a new Pfluger Skillkast reel for $30 whereas it cost $11 new circa 1955.

But there are cheap rip-off guys selling at flea markets, I know because I was ripped off a little...it's not the money, it's the cheating, usually small scale that irks me. Example is a guy selling trebles that he took off crankbaits, selling them as new Diachi Bleeding trebles.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:46 pm

BlaineFred wrote:
Johnny A wrote:

You have two choices:
I have bought some vintage gear at what I considered to be reasonable prices, just to add to my collection. I bought a new Pfluger Skillkast reel for $30 whereas it cost $11 new circa 1955.

But there are cheap rip-off guys selling at flea markets, I know because I was ripped off a little...it's not the money, it's the cheating, usually small scale that irks me. Example is a guy selling trebles that he took off crankbaits, selling them as new Diachi Bleeding trebles.
There is no reason or excuse for rip-off artists or no sympathy. I don't like it or make any excuse for it.

RB 77
Angler
Angler

Post by RB 77 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:22 pm

Spinning reel related pet peeves in general. Just the "bulkiness" of the reel and the line guides are off putting to me. The absolute one thing that used to drive me insane about it the most was line twist. Finally switched over to braid to eliminate that and now its wind knots. Ugh...

Chicagoed
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Chicagoed » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:02 pm

Tube tossing pet peeve....OH MY GOODNESS...line twist when tossing tubes on a baitcaster. I understand line twist is going to happen, it's part of the game. But fishing a tube all day long on the same reel eventually ends in frustration. Recently I fished a tube alllll day long that my line twists resulted in the lure snapping off at the start of my casts. I was using 8lb invisx, which I consider to be a quality line. It was definitely a blast fishing Door County for smallies, but casting my arse off all day resulted in so many snapped lures that I was forced to pick up a different rod and reel. Kept fishing and had a great day. But pet peeve wise...line twist :evil:

Hallman
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Hallman » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:35 pm

Those guys who say they buy cheap combo units because they can just throw out the combo when it stops working. I'm ok with that... spend what you want as it makes you happy... BUT they leave the zip ties on the reel because they are afraid of losing it.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:04 pm

Up side down reels. For the longest time I couldn't figure out why used reels would always have scratches on the top until I saw it.

PEOPLE LAYING THE REELS ON THE GROUND THE WRONG WAY AROUND. WTF

scrapiron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by scrapiron » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:50 am

Cork handled rods with the shrink wrap still on to "protect" the cork. And zip tied reel. I mean, I get it, we all want our stuff to look brand new, but......

Mike and Pike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike and Pike » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:11 am

scrapiron wrote:Cork handled rods with the shrink wrap still on to "protect" the cork. And zip tied reel. I mean, I get it, we all want our stuff to look brand new, but......
...but , its right up there with plastic wrapped couches. Yup.