Equipment Related Pet Peeves

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Equipment Related Pet Peeves

Post by toddmc » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:01 pm

I can't stand when anglers don't lube their Motor Guide trolling motor brackets causing them to have to step on them while pulling the cord. I need to send a nasty e-mail to MLF ;) . It is pure laziness. Not only does the squeaking drive me nuts, and potentially scare fish, but you don't need to buy a steel cable.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:05 pm

Brand whores, "I only use these reels, and only these rods" etc...
There are certain brands that I don't like, but I think it is nice to have options and variety, you never know what you might be missing.

Super old mono on a nice reel, line comes off looking like a slinky.

People who buy way more gear than they could ever possibly use... oh wait that's me, I guess I kind of annoy myself... :lol:
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

IL Basser
Angler
Angler

Post by IL Basser » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:07 pm

Fishing pictures...... I use to hold the fish out but then i realized that when Im expanding my network of fishing channels to find quality fishing spots ( I catch and release only unless someone with me is actually fishing for keeps). Their 3lb turns into a 5-7lb monster they fought with forever......

Guys out on boats that cast literally right up to your boat or where they see you casting like inbetween you and the bank your fishing away at. (happened to day and he almost reeled in my friends rod........

People that fish local fishing derbies that yell at everyone on their own property to stop getting in the way or their bassmaster classic derby to win the 500$ price.

The backwards fishing reel........

No wake zone means no wake zone....... no 45mph.

ignign0kt
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by ignign0kt » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:36 am

People casting with their right hand and then moving the rod to their other hand to reel it in (everyone) :lol:

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:56 am

ignign0kt wrote:People casting with their right hand and then moving the rod to their other hand to reel it in (everyone) :lol:
Not here, left handed = right handed reels for me. Really helps and makes a difference, not sure why more right handers don't use "left handed" reels...

I do switch sides when fishing a spinning reel though (I leave them right hand retrieve).

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:31 am

BlaineFred wrote:It's a peeve but I can live with, although I don't understand the reasons behind the practice.

People who have $50,000 bass boats and a $50,000 tow vehicle adding up to $100,000, and who use $50 rods and $50-75 reels, and similarly low price level gear, like a $2 crankbait from the Bass Pro discount bin.

I once fished with a boater with a great new Skeeter and a new tow vehicle who had a net that was so small and cheap it looked like a crab net that he bought in Walmart.

I mean if you want to go first class, go all the way.
There are a lot of those guys around if you pay attention. The reason is because they are in massive debt buying the vehicle and boat and have nothing left to buy decent equipment. My pet peeve are the guys without a boat that fish with combos that come close to $1000 and then look at you like your an idiot for using something other than an NRX or Destroyer. These are the ones who take a picture of a fish on the ground next to the same expensive rod and reel, also on the ground. Perhaps the thing that bothers me most is people that recommend high end gear that I end up seeing on the water pitching football jigs into brush and weeds.
Barlow's Tackle

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:53 am

smalljaw wrote:
BlaineFred wrote:It's a peeve but I can live with, although I don't understand the reasons behind the practice.

People who have $50,000 bass boats and a $50,000 tow vehicle adding up to $100,000, and who use $50 rods and $50-75 reels, and similarly low price level gear, like a $2 crankbait from the Bass Pro discount bin.

I once fished with a boater with a great new Skeeter and a new tow vehicle who had a net that was so small and cheap it looked like a crab net that he bought in Walmart.

I mean if you want to go first class, go all the way.
There are a lot of those guys around if you pay attention. The reason is because they are in massive debt buying the vehicle and boat and have nothing left to buy decent equipment. My pet peeve are the guys without a boat that fish with combos that come close to $1000 and then look at you like your an idiot for using something other than an NRX or Destroyer. These are the ones who take a picture of a fish on the ground next to the same expensive rod and reel, also on the ground. Perhaps the thing that bothers me most is people that recommend high end gear that I end up seeing on the water pitching football jigs into brush and weeds.
2nd the Football jigs where flipping/grass jigs are needed. I see people non stop on our river fishing big cranks or spinnerbaits, don't get a bite, get pissed and leave. We have a great river, its just finesse oriented. I kind of like it though cause it keeps the bass eaters out of my way. The local fishing report always runs them off too. The guys that write it do the same thing, I watched them throw spinnerbaits at the same 50 yards of bank (two days in a row) and leave after just about 2 hours. A day later, it said "Bite is slow, some bass on white/chartreuse spinnerbaits".

johns
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by johns » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:09 pm

africanbass wrote:Peeps that fish a rod with the plastic still on their cork rod grips :evil: :evil: :evil:
Always tempted to ask for a cast and do some ripping...
just noticed that my swimbait rod still has the plastic on the cork forgrip. In my defence I have never touched the forgrip with that rod. Two hands on the rear grip and bombs away. Hundreds of trips with that rod. Bought it on fathers day 2005, a game changer

BlaineFred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BlaineFred » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:04 pm

I'm a co-angler, fishing small mostly local tournaments in the back of the boat.

There are times when neither the boater nor I are catching any fish.

My pet peeve is a boater who doesn't ask me for suggestions on locations, etc.

Very few boaters do that. I greatly appreciate those who do.

A similar pet peeve would be a boater who provides little info during discussions prior to the tourney, so I'm left up in the of we will punch through grass, drop shot in deep water, etc.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:41 pm

Gear heads that can't fish. They can recite oodles of useless technical info ("This spool weighs 3.2789432 grams") but post pictures of a poor 11" bass laying in the dirt next to an $800 rig.

Spend what you want on what you want but for God's sake learn how to handle a fish properly.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:27 pm

ccass wrote:Observing:
Using a spinning reel upside down
Reel closing a spinning reel
People who filled a reel with an entire spool of braid or main line. (I measure out 66 yds for most reels so a 200 yd spool gets me 3 reels worth)
I fill my entirely with braid and when I need new line I respool it backwards.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:33 pm

ignign0kt wrote:People casting with their right hand and then moving the rod to their other hand to reel it in (everyone) :lol:
I cast with both hands going to have to change over half the time. :lol:

BlaineFred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BlaineFred » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:12 am

Guys selling used gear on fishing websites at prices that are near what new gear can be bought.

Recent example: a guy selling a used reel for $120, a reel that can be bought brand new on eBay at $132, with free shipping. He may have bought it new for $200, but the current price is $132 new shipped.

I just could not do that myself. The used price should be at least 25 %, maybe 33 1/3 %, off the current price of a new one, not what the new one cost two years ago.

A second little peeve is a guy who says that he only made a few casts, and then asks for a price very close a new one. I liken that to buying a new car and driving it off the car dealer's lot. The car is now used, and it has lost considerable value.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:20 pm

Guys that state something is "Brand New" or "Mint" when it is not. Some guys leave the plastic and tags on a rod that they bought and fish it a few times and for whatever reason decide it is not for them. Then they come on a forum and sell it in a way that misleads the buyer.

Flippers - No I am not talking about what you put on your feet nor hoisting bass into the boat using the rod. I am talking about guys that buy tackle low and sell it high. They watch for trends and discontinued items and buy them or they wait for others to unload their gear at low prices with no intentions of using it only to turn around and sell it at a later date for a profit. They seem to be dead set on an price that allows them to make money on the item and will not accept anything less for it. They often bump posts with no price drops. Can't stand these type of people. Don't confuse these people with "gear heads" or "tackle junkies" that love trying everything under the sun and then have to sell off things here and there to help fund their next purchase.

Disrespectful fisherman - 1. Guys that are extra tough on there gear - Constantly boat flipping every fish, tossing rods and reels around on the deck, no reel covers for decent gear nor covers for their rods.
Last edited by Fishing4Fun on Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:57 am

Fishing4Fun wrote:Guys that state something is "Brand New" or "Mint" when it is not. Some guys leave the plastic and tags on a rod that they bought and fish it a few times and for whatever reason decide it is not for them. Then they com on a forum and sell it in a way that misleads the buyer.

Flippers - No I am not talking about what you put on your feet nor hoisting bass into the boat using the rod. I am talking about guys that buy tackle low and sell it high. They watch for trends and discontinued items and buy them or they wait for others to unload their gear at low prices with not intentions of using it only to turn around and sell it at a later date for a profit. They seem to be dead set on an price that allows them to make money on the item and will not accept anything less for it. They often bump posts with no price drops. Can't stand these type of people. Don't confuse these people with "gear heads" or "tackle junkies" that love trying everything under the sun and then have to sell off things here and there to help fund their next purchase.

Disrespectful fisherman - 1. Guys that are extra tough on there gear - Constantly boat flipping every fish, tossing rods and reels around on the deck, no reel covers for decent gear nor covers for their rods.
Its cringe worthy to watch people abuse gear. If its junk I no longer care, but some people don't care about being rough on good stuff. I recently cut up a yoga matt and glued it to our aluminum boat to protect guides on rods.