Equipment Related Pet Peeves

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
Fishinfanatic115
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Equipment Related Pet Peeves

Post by Fishinfanatic115 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:53 pm

Anything besides a baitkeeper hook below a float. Working in tackle retail, you wouldn't believe how many different lures I've seen below floats. Senkos are the most common culprit, but I saw a spinnerbait tied from the top loop (Where the blade is attached) below a float.
Another would be in addition to the plastic left on a rod, when people leave the zip-ties on their pre-packaged combos. Like, that can't be comfortable!

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:03 pm

When a lure doesn't work correctly out of the box.

BlaineFred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BlaineFred » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:31 am

It's a peeve but I can live with, although I don't understand the reasons behind the practice.

People who have $50,000 bass boats and a $50,000 tow vehicle adding up to $100,000, and who use $50 rods and $50-75 reels, and similarly low price level gear, like a $2 crankbait from the Bass Pro discount bin.

I once fished with a boater with a great new Skeeter and a new tow vehicle who had a net that was so small and cheap it looked like a crab net that he bought in Walmart.

I mean if you want to go first class, go all the way.

BlaineFred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BlaineFred » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:48 am

robsone79 wrote:im not trying to hurt anyone's feelings, but the Gloomis guys that leave the price tag on. what's the reasoning/ purpose? curious.
sorry guys
One possible reason for leaving the price tag on a rod is that it could be advertised as having the price tags and then sold for more money than as a "used" rod. Same reason for keeping the plastic on the cork.

Here's a typical ad: For sale, G Loomis NRX Model 893, new with price tags on the rod and plastic on the cork.

Such a rod could have been used for months.

I have kept the plastic on the cork of some of my rods for a time, and I admit that part of my thinking was that I may want to sell the rod if I am not happy with it. It's an easier and possibly higher sell with the plastic on the cork. But I never fished with a price tag, and I have never seen it done.

Being unhappy with rods is a risk one takes when buying rods online without actually having the rod in one's hands. I have some "mistake-buy" rods like that.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:24 am

BlaineFred wrote:It's a peeve but I can live with, although I don't understand the reasons behind the practice.

People who have $50,000 bass boats and a $50,000 tow vehicle adding up to $100,000, and who use $50 rods and $50-75 reels, and similarly low price level gear, like a $2 crankbait from the Bass Pro discount bin.

I once fished with a boater with a great new Skeeter and a new tow vehicle who had a net that was so small and cheap it looked like a crab net that he bought in Walmart.

They ran out of money!!!

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:53 pm

BlaineFred wrote:It's a peeve but I can live with, although I don't understand the reasons behind the practice.

Banks won't tote a six year note on tackle. ;)
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:13 pm

I'm the opposite...I fish from a cheap boat and drive a simple SUV...but my tackle...oh man I love to spend some $$ on my tackle. And the lakes that I fish are mostly private and LOADED with big smallies and largies.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:17 pm

Big-Bass wrote:I'm the opposite...I fish from a cheap boat and drive a simple SUV...but my tackle...oh man I love to spend some $$ on my tackle. And the lakes that I fish are mostly private and LOADED with big smallies and largies.
Rusty truck and old boats for me. I can safely say, I have more money invested in my fishing equipment than I do either my truck or boats.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:22 am

ccass wrote:
Big-Bass wrote:I'm the opposite...I fish from a cheap boat and drive a simple SUV...but my tackle...oh man I love to spend some $$ on my tackle. And the lakes that I fish are mostly private and LOADED with big smallies and largies.
Rusty truck and old boats for me. I can safely say, I have more money invested in my fishing equipment than I do either my truck or boats.
Me too! Haha. As long as it floats (the boat anyways) lol
<")))><{

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:03 am

ccass wrote:
You all don't know how good this makes me feel. We fish from an old aluminum boat, big and wide, very stable though. Has a 25hp Johnson motor that you can barely tell is a Johnson (paint worn off). Very slow boat, but always gets us to river/small lake destinations fine. I honestly think one day when I finish school, I will slightly upgrade our boat, but have no desire to spend +60k on a fully loaded one with 300hp. Would love to max out at about a medium size bass tracker or alumacraft with under or around 100hp (used obviously).

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:07 am

My dad's biggest boat when I was younger was a Spectrum Dominator 17' (which he sold because it was too big for him) but I have fished out of Stratos and Dynatrek (I think that's what it was) bass boats in tournaments. I have always had a small 12-14' boat and would love to get nothing more than a 14-15' modified v boat. My dad had the perfect boat until about 10 years ago. It was a 14 1/2 foot Sylvan Panfish boat converted to a tiller instead of the stick steer with carpeting, livewell, , bow mount trolling motor, and two outboard options. He had me sell it for him in 2007 and we always fished out of my small boat at smaller private ponds or at boats at those locations until he passed in May, 2015. Soon thereafter, the boat he sold (The Sylvan that I fished out of as from about 15-25 years old) went up for sale again locally. I responded to the ad but it sold the day before. The guy said he wished I talked to him sooner because it would be awesome to take my kids fishing in the boat I fished from with my dad...but I guess it wasn't meant to work out that way. My buddy just bought a Tracker Pro Team 175 so luckily we fish that in bigger water, my boat in smaller local water, and his father's Tracker Grizzly in the Susquehanna River and places where we need something more rugged. Glad to hear there are some small boat guys out there that enjoy the simplicity of the fishing.

cortman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cortman » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:38 am

Add me to the list. I have a 13 y/o truck in ok shape and a 12' jon boat. :lol: But I do love me some high end rods and reels! The cost of my gear easily exceeds the cost of my boat.

papabassin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by papabassin » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:07 am

Definitely...If I were to choose one side or the other, I would choose the tackle.

JigginOG
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by JigginOG » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:50 am

Upside down spinning reel
Spinning reel on a casting rod
High end reel on a cheap rod. Vice versa.
People that say, "you spent how much on that combo? I can outfish you with my $20 combo from Walmart."

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:58 am

Get off the phone while on the water! For me, fishing has always been about getting out in nature and enjoying everything about being out there. You miss so many cool things if you are always scrolling through Facebook! I get tired of trying to discuss what the plan is, and getting few responses because they are staring at a screen! Getting on social media is a huge distraction, so put it down for a few hours, it's not gonna hurt you!