Equipment Related Pet Peeves

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Equipment Related Pet Peeves

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:32 pm

Mike and Pike wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
Mike and Pike wrote:People who are experienced enough to tell you within an hour of when such and such rod was made, by which employee , and with what exact materials...and yet still insist on using a term like " medium fast power" .
I type Medium fast action sometimes and feel I confuse people, I should start putting a comma as in Medium, fast action. Some people take medium fast and meaning moderate fast... Hope I'm not guilty of this one...
If you are typing medium fast action , you are talking strictly about the action, which is primarily the taper and what shape the rod takes under load.
Medium, fast is a medium power rod with fast action . There is no such thing as light action, nor fast power.
Action and power are two totally different things. And often , here, used intermixed . Which is my point of peeve.
Yeah I feel you, I don't think I make that mistake too often, I've obtained a pretty good understanding of action vs power, only thing that confuses me at times is companies definition of extra fast.

Strewth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Strewth » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:37 pm

pharmboy2010 wrote:People holding spinning reels upside down. Doesn't "grind my gears", but makes me shake my head.

Manufacturers that put too short of handles on a certain length rod. I feel like St. Croix and some Loomis are guilty of this. Totally throws off the balance of a rod.
Disagree on long handled rods. The shorter the better for jerk baits and small cranks, since you can hold the rod in front of you to twitch without hitting your gut. Many Barra rods in Oz have short handles for this very reason.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:58 pm

People who take up the whole ramp loading and unloading kayaks.
People who don't have a scale and tell you about the 5lb smallie they caught. When they show you a picture, it's clearly half that size.
Anyone over 7 years old who is using a Zebco 33.
People who reel to close the bail on spinning reels.
People in the back of the boat who cast diving plugs into 6" of water, get snagged, and ask me to go retrieve the bait.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:26 pm

Observing:
Using a spinning reel upside down
Reel closing a spinning reel
People who filled a reel with an entire spool of braid or main line. (I measure out 66 yds for most reels so a 200 yd spool gets me 3 reels worth)
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

kstephes033
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by kstephes033 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:31 am

I will add people having a spinning reel on a casting rod... whats worse is when you see a sporting good store employee telling them to buy a casting rod for a spinning reel...

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:31 am

njbasscat wrote:People who take up the whole ramp loading and unloading kayaks.
People who don't have a scale and tell you about the 5lb smallie they caught. When they show you a picture, it's clearly half that size.
I've had to deal with a few rude people who think kayakers shouldn't be able to use the ramps, even if they pay the $5 launch fee and don't take up much room. Not sure what the boaters have against the kayakers, but it's pretty ridiculous around here sometimes. I've been on both sides of it since I own both boat and kayak, and always just patiently wait my turn. I get what you mean about taking up the whole ramp with a kayak, no reason for that, but the boaters also do that, and actually quite often. Honestly, most kayakers would rather NOT use a boat ramp, since loading/unloading and launching off concrete sucks.

Your second point bugs me to. Just go on IG for a few minutes and it is everywhere. People seem to be blind to the ones that hold fish right to the camera, and the fish's eye is as big as their head :lol:

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:55 pm

JBcrankaddict wrote:
I've had to deal with a few rude people who think kayakers shouldn't be able to use the ramps, even if they pay the $5 launch fee and don't take up much room. Not sure what the boaters have against the kayakers, but it's pretty ridiculous around here sometimes. I've been on both sides of it since I own both boat and kayak, and always just patiently wait my turn. I get what you mean about taking up the whole ramp with a kayak, no reason for that, but the boaters also do that, and actually quite often. Honestly, most kayakers would rather NOT use a boat ramp, since loading/unloading and launching off concrete sucks.

Your second point bugs me to. Just go on IG for a few minutes and it is everywhere. People seem to be blind to the ones that hold fish right to the camera, and the fish's eye is as big as their head :lol:
I have nothing against kayaks. I also agree that boaters who don't know how to launch are just as annoying. All I ask is that people get their boats or kayaks on the trailer or vehicle and than move off the ramp to tie everything down. Don't rig your boats or yaks on the ramp either. You should be ready to go before backing down the ramp to put your boat at yak in.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:59 pm

Anyone over 7 years old who is using a Zebco 33.
People who reel to close the bail on spinning reels.
People in the back of the boat who cast diving plugs into 6" of water, get snagged, and ask me to go retrieve the bait.
I love my father to death, but my god he would cast a 10XD in a creek. Most of the time it's worse because they are my cranks. Catches plenty of fish running like a DT10 in 6 ft of water, but he occasionally pushes it too far. Not a big deal until a $15 Duo crank get lost for now...

Strewth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Strewth » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:39 pm

Cheap cork on expensive rods. All too common.

Reels sold as saltwater safe when they are not.

The obsession with split grip rods when there are many of us who prefer full grips

The obsession with lightweight magnesium reels which are only good for freshwater- great to see the Steez A going against the tide

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:50 am

ccass wrote:Observing:
People who filled a reel with an entire spool of braid or main line. (I measure out 66 yds for most reels so a 200 yd spool gets me 3 reels worth)
For those people that dont use leaders it actually saves money, by using less line overall, to use a full spool of braid.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:29 am

QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:
ccass wrote:Observing:
For those people that dont use leaders it actually saves money, by using less line overall, to use a full spool of braid.
I do something strange with my line. For example I filled my Zillion SV TW all the way up with 12lb fluoro. When it gets lower, frayed, or milky looking after many uses, I will just add enough braid or cheap mono to fill the spool, I then carefully unwind to an empty spool, then to another empty spool and back to the reel. This way I have some fresh line waiting and continue this until my good line only is about 60 yards long.

robsone79
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by robsone79 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:01 am

im not trying to hurt anyone's feelings, but the Gloomis guys that leave the price tag on. what's the reasoning/ purpose? curious.
sorry guys

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:22 pm

robsone79 wrote:im not trying to hurt anyone's feelings, but the Gloomis guys that leave the price tag on. what's the reasoning/ purpose? curious.
sorry guys
If I take the price tags off, how would everyone know how much money I spend on gear?

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:30 pm

People that buy high end reels, and dont cover them. I just dont get spending the money on a collectible or high end reel and treating them like crap? Let me just spend $300-600 on a reel and let it get all rashed up. :doh:
<")))><{

SteveSchmelzle
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SteveSchmelzle » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:38 pm

LgMouthGambler wrote:People that buy high end reels, and dont cover them. I just dont get spending the money on a collectible or high end reel and treating them like crap? Let me just spend $300-600 on a reel and let it get all rashed up. :doh:
Cover them on the boat while in use? Yikes. Never :)

Rash builds character.

Eva foam on any rod > $200 is my biggest pet peeve.
1-2%