Equipment Related Pet Peeves

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Equipment Related Pet Peeves

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:34 am

Is there anything related to equipment or general fishing that has become a pet peeve of yours? Doesn't have to be awful, just something that slightly grinds your gears or you know doesn't make sense.

One of mine is when someone says "this reel will bomb light weight lures, I can chunk a weightless senko" which is no big deal and doesn't hurt anyone, but isn't a senko like 3/8oz without a hook? Just not a good representation of a reel's finesse ability.

Another that my father is bad about is taking brand new $5 jigs and cutting the weedguard almost in half, a short stiff weed guard is only going to stiffen it up or ruin the jig from my experience, much better off to just snip a few strands from the front.
Last recent thing I mention isn't bad, just confuses me, but I have seen more than a few people on my river system lately with higher end rods, G-Loomis, Dobyns above $200, etc. with ProMax level reels, more power to them if they save a few dollars, but personally it just seems off to me. Poor rod deserves better.

Anything else?

GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Equipment Related Pet Peeves

Post by GOOD YEAR 71 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:12 am

A personal peeve, I have many, is when a co-angler demands risk to life/limb/property over retrieve of a stupid $5 bait.
You know, the one they chucked into a tree? Ain't happening.
PEACE

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:48 am

GOOD YEAR 71 wrote:A personal peeve, I have many, is when a co-angler demands risk to life/limb/property over retrieve of a stupid $5 bait.
That's a good one, I have been guilty of that a few times. Wanted to break out my lure retriever to get back a 1oz tungsten Carolina rig weight. I learned quickly how to not get hung, I don't fish with spybaits, expensive cranks, etc. anymore when I take backseat for tournaments.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:47 pm

Standing rod racks in boats and having children casting lures along for the ride...

Every cast they make is a heart in mouth moment.

pharmboy2010
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by pharmboy2010 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:04 pm

People holding spinning reels upside down. Doesn't "grind my gears", but makes me shake my head.

Manufacturers that put too short of handles on a certain length rod. I feel like St. Croix and some Loomis are guilty of this. Totally throws off the balance of a rod.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:07 pm

pharmboy2010 wrote:People holding spinning reels upside down. Doesn't "grind my gears", but makes me shake my head.

Manufacturers that put too short of handles on a certain length rod. I feel like St. Croix and some Loomis are guilty of this. Totally throws off the balance of a rod.
This is a good one. One of my TFO spinning rods has like a 12 inch handle and its tough. Ordered it before I knew to research it better. Someone flipping a bail by turning the handle bothers me too. Like doing a burnout every time you take off in a new car. I mean its there stuff, but still unnecessary wear and tear.

One of the worst isn't related to equipment, but when I hear a "gert-beat" as I call them brag about eating a bunch of spawning bass full of eggs then later complains "that spot really sucks", I want to drill holes in their boat or wrap cable around their prop (only want to, wouldn't do it). I know I mentioned "equipment related" but humans make me sick sometimes the way they treat and believe about nature. I can't speak about the evolution of fish or genetics at a local tournament without getting into an argument...

antisaint
Angler
Angler

Post by antisaint » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:24 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
pharmboy2010 wrote:People holding spinning reels upside down. Doesn't "grind my gears", but makes me shake my head.

This is a good one. One of my TFO spinning rods has like a 12 inch handle and its tough. Ordered it before I knew to research it better. Someone flipping a bail by turning the handle bothers me too. Like doing a burnout every time you take off in a new car. I mean its there stuff, but still unnecessary wear and tear.

One of the worst isn't related to equipment, but when I hear a "gert-beat" as I call them brag about eating a bunch of spawning bass full of eggs then later complains "that spot really sucks", I want to drill holes in their boat or wrap cable around their prop (only want to, wouldn't do it). I know I mentioned "equipment related" but humans make me sick sometimes the way they treat and believe about nature. I can't speak about the evolution of fish or genetics at a local tournament without getting into an argument...
It's ok if you drill holes in their boat lol !!!!! We have alot of those type of morons in pa just wish they would respect the resource a little
More !!!!!!!

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by africanbass » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:23 am

Peeps that fish a rod with the plastic still on their cork rod grips :evil: :evil: :evil:
Always tempted to ask for a cast and do some ripping...
Happiness is a sore thumb

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:50 am

africanbass wrote:Peeps that fish a rod with the plastic still on their cork rod grips :evil: :evil: :evil:
I have had a few rods that it took me a while to get around to taking the plastic off the cork.
Thanks for the epiphany captain obvious

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:39 am

GOOD YEAR 71 wrote:A personal peeve, I have many, is when a co-angler demands risk to life/limb/property over retrieve of a stupid $5 bait.
Or the "Pro" having no problem doing the same to get back his 1 from a bag of 1000 self pours.

Mike and Pike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike and Pike » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:07 am

People who are experienced enough to tell you within an hour of when such and such rod was made, by which employee , and with what exact materials...and yet still insist on using a term like " medium fast power" .

cortman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cortman » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:41 am

africanbass wrote:Peeps that fish a rod with the plastic still on their cork rod grips :evil: :evil: :evil:
Ughhhhhh, this! Especially with so much appreciation around here for looks, it amazes me that guys leave nasty crinkly shiny plastic wrap to obscure beautiful cork grips. Seal those things, use them thougthfully, and gently wipe them down every now and then, and they'll develop a glow and depth of color and shading that looks even better than new IMO.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:11 am

cortman wrote:
Ughhhhhh, this! Especially with so much appreciation around here for looks, it amazes me that guys leave nasty crinkly shiny plastic wrap to obscure beautiful cork grips. Seal those things, use them thougthfully, and gently wipe them down every now and then, and they'll develop a glow and depth of color and shading that looks even better than new IMO.
Friend of mine does this. He's got a really good career/business going, so owns a LOT of nice equipment. I wonder if it's a hurry thing but not sure. Always about 1/3 of his rods have that dang clear plastic somewhere on them...

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:12 am

Mike and Pike wrote:People who are experienced enough to tell you within an hour of when such and such rod was made, by which employee , and with what exact materials...and yet still insist on using a term like " medium fast power" .
I type Medium fast action sometimes and feel I confuse people, I should start putting a comma as in Medium, fast action. Some people take medium fast and meaning moderate fast... Hope I'm not guilty of this one...

Mike and Pike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike and Pike » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:23 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Mike and Pike wrote:People who are experienced enough to tell you within an hour of when such and such rod was made, by which employee , and with what exact materials...and yet still insist on using a term like " medium fast power" .
I type Medium fast action sometimes and feel I confuse people, I should start putting a comma as in Medium, fast action. Some people take medium fast and meaning moderate fast... Hope I'm not guilty of this one...
If you are typing medium fast action , you are talking strictly about the action, which is primarily the taper and what shape the rod takes under load.
Medium, fast is a medium power rod with fast action . There is no such thing as light action, nor fast power.
Action and power are two totally different things. And often , here, used intermixed . Which is my point of peeve.