ICAST 2017

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: ICAST 2017

Post by poisonokie » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:08 pm

Yeah, I really hate those. My original Tat still has it.
This is the way.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:50 am

poisonokie wrote:Yeah, I really hate those. My original Tat still has it.
Since I tell people that my Tatula R 8.1 is like a reverse lemon (strangely smooth, quiet, far casting, etc.) I will probably give her the Tackle Trap treatment. I think you need to order a covered nut ($5.6) for the handle, a new handle because the metal lock nut wont fit same as the plastic one ($25 for zillion TWS handle 100/90mm), and last a red or black or whatever color lock washer ($5 range) to hold it all down. So for about $36 you can have a nicer looking original Tatula. Also Daiwa put the smaller T-wing from the HD/Zillion TWS on mine after the original "grooved" or caught a scratch.

Concerning ICAST 2017 though, I am starting to think they just might keep the original Tatula's... Just would have figured we'd see massive blowouts and sites not keeping them in stock if they were discontinuing them. Personally as I have said before many times, I never minded the larger frame and palming size of those reels. Aluminum sideplates leaves them very rigid and tough too.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:51 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Since I tell people that my Tatula R 8.1 is like a reverse lemon (strangely smooth, quiet, far casting, etc.) I will probably give her the Tackle Trap treatment. I think you need to order a covered nut ($5.6) for the handle, a new handle because the metal lock nut wont fit same as the plastic one ($25 for zillion TWS handle 100/90mm), and last a red or black or whatever color lock washer ($5 range) to hold it all down. So for about $36 you can have a nicer looking original Tatula. Also Daiwa put the smaller T-wing from the HD/Zillion TWS on mine after the original "grooved" or caught a scratch.

Concerning ICAST 2017 though, I am starting to think they just might keep the original Tatula's... Just would have figured we'd see massive blowouts and sites not keeping them in stock if they were discontinuing them. Personally as I have said before many times, I never minded the larger frame and palming size of those reels. Aluminum sideplates leaves them very rigid and tough too.
You can use the same handle if you get the small lock plate. They are great reels and built to last. My type R is still super smooth casting, retrieving, and drag wise, and i dont think I've ever even serviced it. Just added a 100mm zillion handle, a black nut, red nut plate, and 2 knob bearings. I can see why they'd continue to make a version of them. I don't mind the size of the frame at all. With the right reel seat, it feels fine to me. The wider frame accommodates a wider spool which helps with casting, line capacity, and rate of retrieve, so i think It's totally worth the slightly wider profile. It's amazing what you get for your money nowadays. That said, I'd much rather have a Zillion TWS and the Zillion SV is my favorite reel ever and it doesn't have any of those attributes. Still though, for heavy duty stuff like jigs, flipping, frogs, spinnerbaits, chatterbaits, and deep cranks, the Zillion TWS reigns supreme and the Tat isn't far behind. Anyway, am I rambling? I feel like I'm rambling.
This is the way.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:52 pm

poisonokie wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:

You can use the same handle if you get the small lock plate. They are great reels and built to last. My type R is still super smooth casting, retrieving, and drag wise, and i dont think I've ever even serviced it. Just added a 100mm zillion handle, a black nut, red nut plate, and 2 knob bearings. I can see why they'd continue to make a version of them. I don't mind the size of the frame at all. With the right reel seat, it feels fine to me. The wider frame accommodates a wider spool which helps with casting, line capacity, and rate of retrieve, so i think It's totally worth the slightly wider profile. It's amazing what you get for your money nowadays. That said, I'd much rather have a Zillion TWS and the Zillion SV is my favorite reel ever and it doesn't have any of those attributes. Still though, for heavy duty stuff like jigs, flipping, frogs, spinnerbaits, chatterbaits, and deep cranks, the Zillion TWS reigns supreme and the Tat isn't far behind. Anyway, am I rambling? I feel like I'm rambling.
The only thing I do on here is ramble, that's one of the key points of a forum right? Zillion SV TW is hard to beat. I was out casting spinning reels with a 3/16 head 3.3 swimbait yesterday... not sure if that's common or not, but I really like that reel. Back to the point though, really hoping Daiwa has a new compact release coming. I would kill for an alphas size reel with a G1 SV spool, don't care for the T-wing but it doesn't bother me either.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:57 pm

Also where do you get a small lock plate and black nut? Tackle trap has the lock nuts in large that I've seen and a gun metal nut with a picture of a steez sv...

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:29 pm

It came with an aftermarket handle I bought for my ss sv and looked better on the type r.

These will fit a stock tatula handle:

http://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_pa ... ts_id=3102
This is the way.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:36 pm

Thanks for the heads up on the small lock plate, gonna order one tomorrow with the dark gunmetal covered handle nut.

Another question I had concerns Abu. I wonder if they are going to release the new Revo line... the one that is going to share the frame of the ALX and MGX2's...
I really want to like Abu and do love their spinning fine. I own a new STX20 w/ Neon Lime 832 and it's an awesome reel for smallmouth. It doesn't quite feel like my Stradic Ci4+, but very close to it. Also my wife uses a Gen1 Premier30 Spinning that is a tank. It's on a 7'4 Medium rod so she can fish baitcaster-sized lures and never misses a beat. Hopefully Abu will have something new and more to offer with their baitcasting line. Would love to see one of their BFS models make it over here...

big_gee
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by big_gee » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:39 am

The new Tatula spinning reel will be released at ICAST is my understanding.

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:07 am

Any leaked photos of the new Tatula spinning reel? Will it match the Elite rods?

big_gee
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by big_gee » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:23 pm

I haven't seen so I don't know if it will match the Elite rods. One would think so.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:05 am

big_gee wrote:I haven't seen so I don't know if it will match the Elite rods. One would think so.
Is a Tatula spinning reel a pretty good bet? I remember that it has been mentioned before but never showed. Would be hard for me to buy one unless they are amazing, especially with the Luvias prices on the auction sites right now. That might be one area Shimano keeps top place without a doubt for me, spinning reels. I even bought an Abu STX20 with a chance at a Ballistic EX a while back, not having line roller bearings just drove me crazy, even if it doesn't make a difference, I just couldn't get past it...

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:12 am

I have a Luvias 3012 shallow spool model coming in the mail that I got for $200 with a Daiwa Vector hat included. Hopefully it's a nice reel and will fit my Legend Xtreme 7' Medium well. Looking forward to using it next week in the 1000 Islands, NY next week.

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:15 am

Lots of talk about guys using the larger arbor 3000 and 3012 sizes that has me intrigued over the 2500s and 2000s I already have. Feider, Ehrler, and those guys all seem to be using the larger reels in their Youtube video videos and they have access to any model(s) they choose.

big_gee
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by big_gee » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:13 am

From what I understand the new Tatula is an upgraded Procyon. I have Ballistics and Sol's with the intention on getting the Luvias next. Not sure I will get the Tat spinning reel.

Yes all the pros are mainly using 3000 sizes with a couple 2500 mixed in. Fieder loves the 3000 series because you can cast farther. I myself still use 2000 with some 2500. With 7'6" spinning rods casting distance is not an issue.
Last edited by big_gee on Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:53 am

My wife's primary setup is a Gen 1 Revo Premier30 spinning on a 7'4" rod. I have always said that if Abu wouldn't replace her reel, that I would get her a Luvias on sale and find a more sensitive rod. Being a 30 size reel though and loaded with a whole 150 yard spool of 10lb braid, it casts pretty far. It's a stout rod, so 3/16 and 1/4 (and above) are best suited for it, but with a good wind up it will bomb, thing is, it doesn't out do my 2500s by much with the same braid. The major benefit I notice when going from a 2500 to a 3000 is line management, even though either rarely get wind knots (flip bail with hand ALWAYS) the 2500 still gets slightly more. Another thing to mention is that when I used to use 7lb Sunline, the benefits of the 3000 size were much more evident.