Drop Shot Weights?

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
joeim8
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Drop Shot Weights?

Post by joeim8 » Wed May 17, 2017 6:12 am

Guys I have heard to use drop shot sinkers that have most of the swivel exposed or big quality swivels to help reduce line twist. I didn't think the sinker had that much to do with twists but I have heard similar views on this multiple times so just was wondering the reason.

Can anyone explain why this would be, and maybe some brands that apply this.

I understand there are multiple set ups to reduce line twist (braid to fluro, swivel above hook, swivel hook, drag behind boat etc.) That's not really what I'm concerned about. There are still a few lakes actually techniques that I prefer straight fluro tied straight to the hook with a round ds style sinker preferably tungsten and I really just want to know if certain sinkers are better than others when it comes to managing line twist? Not the type of weight or style of weight necessarily but for example lets just say we have two round 1/4oz tungsten ds weights with different swivels, what swivels are preferred for managing line twist and why?

accodn2ryan
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Drop Shot Weights?

Post by accodn2ryan » Wed May 17, 2017 8:39 am

Line twists are going to be common when drop shotting, especially if you're using a traditional drop shot hook instead of the swivel hooks. I usually just double check my line every time I land a fish, and when reeling the rig back to me. Not sure how a bigger swivel will help eliminate line twisting though. I don't really have much problems with line twist when drop shotting, but getting hung up is the most common annoyance, but that's something I expect when drop shotting. I don't really use tungsten DS weights since 90% of the time the snag will be down at the weight, and I can just snap the weight off instead of retying the entire rig by using the DS weights with the swivel.

How are you casting your drop shot rig? (are you pitching it/lobbing it, or overhead casting) Also how deep are you fishing and what size weight are you using, and are you maintaining bottom contact with the weight?