Skipping

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Skipping

Post by Obz » Mon May 15, 2017 6:14 am

Been practicing skipping, not getting the best results. I mostly use 1/4oz Texas rigs. Was practicing with a 1/4oz rage bug, sv103, 17lb defier armillo, and my super destroyer. Is there something in my set up that isn't ideal for skipping? I see people skip jigs crazy far. Maybe a 3/8oz jig is the standard? I don't know if it is a perception thing with the go pros and they aren't skipping as far as I think? It just seems like I can't get the required momentum behind the bait to skip. Maybe just more practice.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Skipping

Post by poisonokie » Mon May 15, 2017 8:59 am

It's more skimming across the surface than skipping if that makes sense. Definitely go with a 3/8 jig with a flatter head and a chunk trailer or keitech. Also a weightless keitech or senko on a twistlock light skips really well. Just keep your brakes turned up and go slow and fluid. No herky-jerky.
This is the way.

papabassin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by papabassin » Mon May 15, 2017 11:33 pm

As poisonokie said, you want to have a fluid motion. Make sure you follow through and finish your cast too. You might want to go up in weight to start so you can generate more momentum with less force. I would start with a 3/8oz or 1/2oz jig + your favorite trailer like a Rage Bug (something relatively flat that you feed up the hook shank). Other baits I think are relatively easy to learn to skip with are Chatterbaits, Hollow Body Frogs & a Senko (wacky or twist-lock).

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Mon May 15, 2017 11:51 pm

That's right. At the end of most of my skipping casts my rod tip is pointing straight up and my arms are partially extended, elbows at about chest level. That follow through helps keep the bait aloft while you're feathering out the line.
This is the way.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Tue May 16, 2017 12:09 am

Here is a good video about skipping.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBb3u1FXo44

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Tue May 16, 2017 4:37 am

Thanks for the tips guys. The video was so metal! It definetly looked like he was skimming the bait and his arm motions were similar to what you described. Very helpful vid and fun to watch. Do you think the nutech flipping jigs will skip ok? They seem to have a keel shaped head.

Sore Thumb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Sore Thumb » Tue May 16, 2017 4:53 am

Texas rigged with a sliding weight? I would think the weight moving away from the bait as they hit the water, would rob much of the momentum.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue May 16, 2017 5:39 am

A wacky riged senko skips really well.

papabassin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by papabassin » Tue May 16, 2017 6:05 am

Cracker wrote:Here is a good video about skipping.

I don't think he mentions it in the video, but another good tip and one thing you can see at 3:00 is not to fill your spool all the way up. This will help reduce backlash quite a bit.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Tue May 16, 2017 6:11 am

papabassin wrote:
Cracker wrote:Here is a good video about skipping.

I don't think he mentions it in the video, but another good tip and one thing you can see at 3:00 is not to fill your spool all the way up. This will help reduce backlash quite a bit.
This is a great point, I don't put much line on my baitcasting reels anyway, and if you have a designated reel just for skipping/pitching 40-45yards is plenty enough.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Tue May 16, 2017 7:42 am

Obz wrote:Thanks for the tips guys. The video was so metal! It definetly looked like he was skimming the bait and his arm motions were similar to what you described. Very helpful vid and fun to watch. Do you think the nutech flipping jigs will skip ok? They seem to have a keel shaped head.
I don't see why not. Hack attack jigs skip great. Strike king makes a skipping jig that isn't all that different, but has a screw lock keeper. Arkie style heads are about as good as it gets imho.
This is the way.

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Wed May 17, 2017 7:54 am

Sore Thumb wrote:Texas rigged with a sliding weight? I would think the weight moving away from the bait as they hit the water, would rob much of the momentum.
I was peggin it with a 6th sense bobber stop

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Mon May 22, 2017 10:55 am

I wouldn't say I have it dialed but without changing any of my gear, I made a handful of skips that were very legit. The big difference maker was raising my rod tip and even my reel at the right time. I do remember raising my reel to prevent backslashes while casting the past so thing started to 'click'. I got tired of fixing my bobber stop so I didn't quite practice as much as I wanted. I landed a 32-34" musky on my super destroyer that was pretty sweet. Thanks for your comments, I believe I'm on the right path when it comes to skipping now.

papabassin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by papabassin » Mon May 22, 2017 11:30 am

Good to hear man. It's something special when you skip your lure under an overhang or dock and a biggun just hammers it right away. It becomes addicting really fast..