Tackle bag question

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
Rodster14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Tackle bag question

Post by Rodster14 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:33 pm

I currently have a BPS 370 stalker tackle bag. I am considering downsizing a bit to something like a Cabela's large bag to conserve space (since I don't use most of what is in my tackle bag anyway). Also, has anyone used a front loading system? What are your thoughts?

stingray23
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Tackle bag question

Post by stingray23 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:08 am

I use a Wild River bag. Its awesome. Well built and holds a lot of stuff. They come in a variety of sizes.

Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Randingo » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:01 pm

I don't really care for front load bags. I think they take up more floor space in a boat and are harder to access, and generally don't find them as flexible as top loading bags, particularly bags that hold the 3700s vertically. YMMV

Rodster14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rodster14 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:11 pm

Do yo store your plastics in a worm binder that fits inside your tackle bag or in a Plano open storage box?

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:05 am

I've had a big yellow BPS boat bag for years, and it hasn't even blinked. I fit everything in, including lunch and rain gear etc. All zippers/handles still intact, has one interior mesh pocket in the lid. Fits all the little extras. Leave it open, dump your broken plastics/line/wrappers etc in to it all day and you don't have to clean up the boat. It's simple, rugged, easily accessible and entirely modular as to what fits in it, since it's just a big duffle bag with a protected bottom.
Set hard and set often

leggomye990
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by leggomye990 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:53 am

I've been eyeing the Simms Challenger duffle bags or the new Bass mafia one. They seem really huge, the simms in size L can fit 8 3700 boxes and S fits 3 .. I think? and the bass mafia one fits up to 10.

I just wish there was a duffle style bag that can fit like 6 boxes, a good medium sized one.

stingray23
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by stingray23 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:20 am

Rodster14 wrote:Do yo store your plastics in a worm binder that fits inside your tackle bag or in a Plano open storage box?
There is a large zipper area in the back that holds tons of bags of plastics. I also put them in 3700 and load them up front.

Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Randingo » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:56 pm

Rodster14 wrote:Do yo store your plastics in a worm binder that fits inside your tackle bag or in a Plano open storage box?
I use boxes, binders, and big ziplock bags. That's one of the big advantages of a top loading bag: they're much more versatile at holding a variety of different types and sizes of containers.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:01 am

leggomye990 wrote:I've been eyeing the Simms Challenger duffle bags or the new Bass mafia one. They seem really huge, the simms in size L can fit 8 3700 boxes and S fits 3 .. I think? and the bass mafia one fits up to 10.

I just wish there was a duffle style bag that can fit like 6 boxes, a good medium sized one.
The Bass Mafia bag will only fit 9 boxes, and that is with the slide out handle mechanism removed and it still just barely closes. It will not do 10, even modified, the roller wheels place the last box too high and it will not zip shut. They are huge bags. The BPS 370 was my go to "little" bag for years.
I like TD-Z's
Instagram: teal_101_jdm

leggomye990
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by leggomye990 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:47 am

Teal101 wrote:
leggomye990 wrote:I've been eyeing the Simms Challenger duffle bags or the new Bass mafia one. They seem really huge, the simms in size L can fit 8 3700 boxes and S fits 3 .. I think? and the bass mafia one fits up to 10.

The Bass Mafia bag will only fit 9 boxes, and that is with the slide out handle mechanism removed and it still just barely closes. It will not do 10, even modified, the roller wheels place the last box too high and it will not zip shut. They are huge bags. The BPS 370 was my go to "little" bag for years.

Ah good to know, I hear the roller system handle thing is poorly designed as it the bag has no hard bottom so the boxes dont sit flush?

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:07 am

leggomye990 wrote:
Teal101 wrote:

Ah good to know, I hear the roller system handle thing is poorly designed as it the bag has no hard bottom so the boxes dont sit flush?
Correct the hard bottom in the bag is actually the roller handle assembly itself. The bags slide and shift on it terribly and it causes the boxes to sit too high in the bag to zip up with more than 8 boxes in it. I drilled the rivets out of the bag and removed the roller handle and can get 9 boxes in it now. The roller wheels are also in the way of the boxes sitting down and causes that box to sit up too high. if the bag was about 2" taller and had a hard bottom over the roller stuff it would have worked great. The rest of the bag so far has been great with plenty of options for storage.
I like TD-Z's
Instagram: teal_101_jdm

illini
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by illini » Fri May 26, 2017 1:21 pm

When i walk the pond i just use a back pack so i can fish and walk. Works pretty darn good!