Bearing test

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Bearing test

Post by goldrod » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:02 am

Is there a definitive teat on bearings?
I was thinking of making an attachment for a dremel to turn them until failure..?
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Bearing test

Post by Slazmo » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:14 am

I run my bearings on a Dremel on an attachment specially honed to fit most spool bearings. Flush them and then oil and "season" so that standard bearings run beautifully smooth and fast, so far no need to buy BFS or other higher quality rated bearings so far.

I know after a minute its not that long before they're really hot to the touch, where i have to use a pair of silicone tongs to hold the outer race. So it wouldn't be too long to see some form of destruction if you ran them at 9000 rpm for X amount of time.

GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GOOD YEAR 71 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:33 am

Forgive me, I mean no offense, but what is the point? No bearing will get too hot to touch during normal usage and pushing that hard could lead to early failure. Of which, testing to point of failure proves little with respect to in use performance.

Or am I missing something?
PEACE

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:16 pm

GOOD YEAR 71 wrote:Forgive me, I mean no offense, but what is the point? No bearing will get too hot to touch during normal usage and pushing that hard could lead to early failure. Of which, testing to point of failure proves little with respect to in use performance.

I agree
Most bearings even the $2 ones from Fastenal are rated to 50-60000rpm, reel spools arent coming close to that.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:57 pm

GOOD YEAR 71 wrote:Forgive me, I mean no offense, but what is the point? No bearing will get too hot to touch during normal usage and pushing that hard could lead to early failure. Of which, testing to point of failure proves little with respect to in use performance.

No just me over thinking it maybe.
From my background and the things i work with, i am not expecting to wipe a bearing in a fishing reel but was looking for a way to self assess the quality of the bearing other than what is written on the packages. Just how do you know that one or both bearings aren't defective? All cars that come off the same assembly line some have issues and some dont and that what i was thinking. Some bearings are so small you can't really inspect it but it may have pitting. I know reel composites make a different too, in my aldebaran i have a set that made horrific noise but in an aluminum reel same bearing are just quite and that really got me to thinking.

just my thoughts
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible