"fun factor" fishing set up.

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
leggomye990
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

"fun factor" fishing set up.

Post by leggomye990 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:18 pm

Your favourite set-up for "fun factor" ?

We all have our go-to's, the ones that can cover variety of techniques, the ones that are specific to a technique, the ones that you only bring out on special occasions, the ones that you use as "daily beaters" but what about a set-up that's just fun to use?

While looking at my collection and thinking about each one what to use them for, and the more expensive ones that I only want to use on special days, and the ones that I use for general purpose, I started to realize that while all my rods I have bought for certain reasons, It feels like Im missing something that has a "fun factor" to it.

I never got into the BFS game yet, and while the idea of fishing light tackle to hunt for giant fish sounds like a ton of fun, I have never put together a set up for that yet.

Anyway, enough of me. Lets hear what your "fun" set up would be.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: "fun factor" fishing set up.

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:23 pm

1st/most used: Sv105 7.2 w/ 8lb P-line Halo on a TFO 6'9"ML Dropshot rod, it is my finesse baitcaster, but I always end up throwing spybaits, smaller jerkbaits, tiny swimbaits, etc. (crappie and walleye fishing). It is great but it does take me away from chasing that trophy bass, just fun to catch ANYTHING on it and I can always get a bite.

2nd: My old Veritas Micro 7'MH (original) w/ Tatula Type R 8.1 (original), the reel is great and still perfect with 15lb fluoro, and the rod is not the best by comparison of other equipment, but somehow I always catch great fish with it and it still hasn't broken. I really like this rod and it is fun for me because it is the first one I ever bought, all my friends that bought ones like it have broken them or lost eyes or something destructive. It will be a sad day when my beater rod splits in two, or three.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:48 pm

I'd say fun factor is tied for be.

Extreme BFS setup: 6'1" Phenix Mirage custom and a 16 Aldebaran BFS XG with KTF spool. I can cast super light stuff and hooking up with a big bluegill or bigger pike is pretty fun.

Punching: I am in limbo over my current punch setup but overall, I love punching.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by africanbass » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:52 pm

MB FX73SV on a MB eiger northwall :big grin:
Happiness is a sore thumb

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:19 pm

MB Super Eiger with a Alphas SV. It's very light and comfortable. Sensitivity is outstanding, actually the best I own. I like throwing light plastics in light cover, rocky points, and docks. It's works perfectly for that and when you hook into anything over a couple pounds, hold on because your in for a battle.

leggomye990
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by leggomye990 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:02 am

I'm thinking of getting a XXX Black Themis for this reason, But being a f2.5 power vs a F3 of the Eiger, I wonder if it would be a huge difference?

Mike and Pike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike and Pike » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:03 am

Smith Be Sticky with an Alphas Ito and and a MB finesse spool with 6lb braid. Tons of fun.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:04 am

Inshore fishing with my NRX 842c and Chronarch CI4 has the fun factor. Not exactly BFS, but it's pretty much as light as I am willing to go. I target anything that swims inshore with that combo, and when that monster bites it gets your heart pumping!

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:23 am

I've been having a blast with a Megabass F1.5-66X7S Parry Arc paired with a Daiwa Exist 2003F-H and 5# Sunline Super FC Sniper. There are so many fun factor combos, it would be hard to go through them all though!
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:30 am

Major Craft N-One BFS 782ML with a fitting reel (Conquest 101HG and Avail1024 spool, Met MGL with KTF shallow spool, Px68 SPR etc). Thin-ish braid around 0.12mm and any moving bait (mepps, spoon, small crankbait).

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:35 am

My fun factor combo is not finesse, but is loads of fun fishing 1/4 oz. poppers. Super Elseil with Steez 103 with 1016 spool and 13# Deflier. I just love topwater action.

leggomye990
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by leggomye990 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:46 am

I remeber having a lot of fun fishing my earlier rods, 7' Clarus ML, that thing would bend so much on a small fish lol it was awesome. Rod was rated to 1/2oz but i was tossing 1oz bellsinker for dropshot weights fishing for silver bass and jumbo perch in deep water ahaha it was so much fun and funny too. That rod is now broken and It feels like I need a replacement.

Now looking for something along the lines of a

166L BFS PG
Steez Harrier F Spec
F3-610x Hein
Black Themis XXX

bigfruits
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bigfruits » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:04 am

my friend's NRX 852 and 2015 Aldebaran 51HG is a blast for light jigs/plastics. going to pick one up soon.

out of my current collection, the Metanium DC HG reel is a lot of fun to use on most any rod.

Hoping to try a true BFS setup in the future but thats probably 2 or 3 combos away ;)

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:19 am

Jackson Super Trickster UL and an Zonda Rosso with finesse spool. I use it throw fun baits like the Fujin Spider, mini poppers for big bluegill and crappie jigs.

antisaint
Angler
Angler

Post by antisaint » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:34 am

mb rattle viper ,alphas sv. Its a blast dropshoting. Great lakes smallies!