Looking for backpack suggestions.

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
spiderguy4978
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Looking for backpack suggestions.

Post by spiderguy4978 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:32 am

This past weekend I got to go down to a buddy's cabin and my Plano duffel bag apparently dry rotted or something over the winter, both the carry handles and shoulder strap broke before I ever even made it to the car let alone the lake. So I am currently in the market for a new bag and I would like to go back to using a backpack style. I'm looking to see what others on here use and how the bags have stood up over the years. I currently have 3700 series boxes and would like to stay at that size if at all possible.

Redfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Looking for backpack suggestions.

Post by Redfish » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:38 pm

I have an older GLoomis backpack that I have used and abused for several years and it is still holding up fine. It is discontinued, but if you can get your hands on one, you will not be disappointed. I also have a Wild River backpack that is relatively new to me and it is also a great pack. It also comes with a light for those early morning trips.
[url=http://www.yakangler.com][img]http://www.yakangler.com/images/stories/banners/YakAngler_Sunrise.png[/img][/url]

cortman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cortman » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:05 pm

It's going to be hard to find a backpack that will accept more than 2 or 3 3700 boxes. Most seem to be made for 3600.
The Okuma Nomad carries 3700, it's giant though.
The TW backpack carries 3700 but only a couple boxes.

trevorvandam
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by trevorvandam » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:25 pm

I have one of the shimano backpacks. I think they make 2 different sizes/styles: medium and large. I have the medium. I've had it for a little over a year. It's a really durable bag, it even has four pads on the bottom which saves it from ruining the bottom of the bag. The only 2 down sides that I've found is that the worm binder could have been made a little better. And it doesn't hold too many boxes (that might differ depending on which size you get) but I only use it for a bank fishing bag so it's not a big deal for me.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:22 am

Depends on how much you want to spend..

top end-
Kifaru
Mystery Ranch
Triple Aught Design

I use a camelbak Hawg military for river fishing and its been excellent.

I'm picky with my gear and will not buy anything without YKK zippers

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:37 am

Cabela's Advanced Angler. All of the Advanced Angler tackle storage is very well built. Currently on sale for $44.99 and has a lifetime guarantee.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas- ... 546939.uts

timsford
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timsford » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:41 pm

I fish from shore quite a bit myself and personally can't stand most soft tackle storage systems. I've used a Bass pro brand tackle bag designed for 3700, the Cabela's Magnum bag, and several other duffle bag and top load bags. The best I've found for fishing from shore is a backpack designed for kids for school. Not sure of the brand, but I believe I picked it up on clearance at my local Walmart. It has 2 large main compartments that can hold 3 slim 3700 boxes filled with a variety of hardbaits, a regular 3700 with larger hardbaits, and a slim 3600 for terminal tackle. It has 2 smaller zipper compartments on the front. One holds a binder with ziplocs filled with spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, and jigs, and the other front compartment holds line and all the tools I need. There are 2 small zippered pockets on each side that can hold 10-20 bags of plastics each. It holds more than I can comfortably carry on a hike and has plenty of pockets to keep it all organized. Before you rush out to buy a "fishing" backpack, look around at your local stores for sales and maybe even check out goodwill or yard sales

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:50 pm

I fish from shore most of the time and use several backpacks. The largest one is the Patgonia Sweet Fish Pack (without the vest). It easily holds two Plano 3700 and there is room for three boxes (maybe even four) if you do not put a lot of other stuff in there. Since I focus on mobility and prefer to travel light, the pack has not seen a lot of abuse in the two years I have owned it. However, it seems very well made.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:54 pm

spiderguy4978
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by spiderguy4978 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:32 am

Thanks for all the replies guys, I'll look into everything mentioned here. I need to make a decision soon as I have a day fishing trip coming up soon and can't be without a bag.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:01 pm

I have a BPS backpack that's red and black. Holds 3 3600 boxes on the bottom, and a big area for stuff on the top. It has a ton of other pockets and stuff on it too. Holds a ton of stuff. I use it on my boat as a regular bag since it holds soo much stuff. Never had to worry about leaving stuff behind.
<")))><{

gumbygold
Angler
Angler

Post by gumbygold » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:01 am

I use an LL Bean school bag that is pretty large and ripstop nylon. I can get 4 3700s in it easy and squeeze a 5th but that becomes a PITA.

I bought it years ago but this looks like the current version. Plenty of storage for line spools, scales, extras, etc.

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/116656? ... l-rucksack

Agentboost
Angler
Angler

Post by Agentboost » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:42 am

The new Simms G4 Pro pack is the way to go. Been using it since it came out, hold up well to lite rain, and snow with DWR finish.
Comfy when loaded up, and it is easy to clean, wipe with a damp rag it's good as new.

timinmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timinmo » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:07 am

Flambeau makes one that comes with 4 3700 size boxes and has other storage as well. I think it is around $45.

spiderguy4978
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by spiderguy4978 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:53 am

I had a buddy with an Oakley Gear Box backpack lying around collecting dust, so he gave it to me. Going try it out since it was free and if it tears or falls apart I'll look into getting either the Simms, LL Bean, or Patagonia bags.