Is it the rod or the reel?

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
FishyMCfishFace
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Is it the rod or the reel?

Post by FishyMCfishFace » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:31 am

I'm curious as to everyone's opinion on which matters the most. The rod or the reel.
If you could spend $400 on one of the two, but only $50 on the other, which one do you spend the big money on?
Also is the answer the same when comparing spinning gear to baitcasting gear?
Thanks

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Is it the rod or the reel?

Post by Dalleinf » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:59 am

Always the reel...

fati
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fati » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:13 am

8 for 1 seems a bit off. Cant imagine a 350$ reel on a 50$ rod. If I had to build a descent combo with 400$ I would mostly split half-n-half. Minimum would be 100-150 rod.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:17 am

I think it depends on the technique. I myself would never split 450 bucks into 400 and 50.

It's entirely situational on what I'd spend. If I'm looking for a 450 cranking setup. I may find a super good deal on an 12 Antares and could cheap on the rod because the rod may not be as important as the reel for that technique. BFS is another technique that usually demands more for the reel.

Overall, I'd spend more on the rod if it were for feel technique like jigs and such. I may spend more on the reel if it's for long casting technique that benefit from smooth reeling like cranking.

For my setups right now:
Finessee BFS - reel
True BFS - reel (about the same)
T-Rigs - about the same
Jigs - reel
Deep crank - reel
Shallow moving baits - rod
Light jigs, jerkbaits, senko... - reel
Punch - reel
MH versatile - reel

I know some of the combos go against my logic. For instance, my light jig, jerkbait and senior rod is an NRX 852c with a T3 Ballistic with an SV spool in it. Got a wicked deal on the NRX.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

FishyMCfishFace
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by FishyMCfishFace » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:07 am

fati wrote:8 for 1 seems a bit off. Cant imagine a 350$ reel on a 50$ rod. If I had to build a descent combo with 400$ I would mostly split half-n-half. Minimum would be 100-150 rod.
Sorry if my question was a bit vague. I guess to simplify my question, is to ask which piece of equipment is the most important, and why. The dollar figures were just meant to be an example.

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:46 am

FishyMCfishFace wrote:
fati wrote:8 for 1 seems a bit off. Cant imagine a 350$ reel on a 50$ rod. If I had to build a descent combo with 400$ I would mostly split half-n-half. Minimum would be 100-150 rod.
Sorry if my question was a bit vague. I guess to simplify my question, is to ask which piece of equipment is the most important, and why. The dollar figures were just meant to be an example.
The operator is the most important piece. An excellent op can extract more performance out of lesser equipment than less skilled ops.
I achieve distances with stock $60 bc reel and .0823oz lure that others say isnt possible and dont believe me, I take that as Im better skilled than they are.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

IlliniDawg01

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:51 am

FishyMCfishFace wrote:I'm curious as to everyone's opinion on which matters the most. The rod or the reel.
If you could spend $400 on one of the two, but only $50 on the other, which one do you spend the big money on?
Thanks
If you are going new only, you are screwed either way...

If your budget is $450 though...

I would probably spend $150- $175 on the rod and $275-$300 on the reel if new....

What I would actually do is buy a used reel and pocket $100+ though...

DaveJ

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: IlliniDawg01

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:14 am

IlliniDawg01 wrote:
FishyMCfishFace wrote:I'm curious as to everyone's opinion on which matters the most. The rod or the reel.
Thanks
If you are going new only, you are screwed either way...

If your budget is $450 though...

I would probably spend $150- $175 on the rod and $275-$300 on the reel if new....

What I would actually do is buy a used reel and pocket $100+ though...

DaveJ
I would get used from here. Best bang for your buck

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:34 am

I would rather have a better reel, but you can have both for $450. Buy used.
Last edited by BigG on Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

reznor
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by reznor » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:12 am

Dalleinf wrote:Always the reel...
X2

timinmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timinmo » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:32 pm

To address the second part of your question first. There are plenty of decent $50 spinning reels and you could get a kick-a rod for the rest of the money. On the casting side, as much as I like good rods. You can not get a good casting reel for $50, but you can get a "usable" rod for that money. So on the casting side you would have a rod that is passable and a great reel. Is this optimum? No but if you want a usable outfit for the question of the original poster it would work. These are answers for new not for used, which would change everything. Really you could get usable equipment, both casting and spinning for that budget.

tim_kovar
Angler
Angler

Post by tim_kovar » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:31 am

For me the rod is more important, but that is mainly because I mostly fish bottom contact lures and want the best sensitivity possible. If I fished moving baits it would probably be the other way around so I think it kind of depends on how you fish.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:59 am

Neither. It's the line.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:38 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:Neither. It's the line.
I do agree that the line is super important.

mada1594
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mada1594 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:18 pm

I agree it depends on the technique u are using if its finesse then a good rod and reel is important because you have to be able to cast light lures and have a rod with a lot of sensitivity but I feel for most other techniques the reel is more important because you can find a good rod for a very decent price such as a 13 fishing omen for $100 new or even less and they do perfectly fine. however if you try to buy a cheap reel you will most likely have more problems with its durability, smoothness, casting ability, backlashes and more. Im sure everyone has their own opinions and no one is right or wrong my opinion is the reel is more important that's just my 2 cents on the topic. Also I agree that buying used is always the way to go pretty much everything I buy is used bc why pay full price for something you can get that's still in great shape for a hell of a lot less :D
gone fishin! borderline 11!