Is it the rod or the reel?

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
Susitnasalmonguide
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Is it the rod or the reel?

Post by Susitnasalmonguide » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:31 pm

I agree technique has implications -- but so does the size and species of fish targeted.

Currently when back trolling for chinook salmon my bait casting rods and reels are close to equally expensive -- and some of my rod / reel combinations are beyond the $450 price. If I had to get back under that figure I would do so by using less expensive rods -- but keep the high quality reels --- something I had done for quite a few years in the past.

When casting lures from 1/4 -- 1 ounce I could be perfectly happy with a $150 rod and a $210 spinning reel. I could easily make the same costs apply to bait casting gear as well. This would provide me with a smooth casting and durable reel, and quite a bit of rod quality.

When drifting bobbers and bait (sometimes for 100 yards or more) I'm currently spending much more money on my rods than the reels. In this case I'm primarily using spinning rods valued at $300 or more and reels valued at about $100. Long lightweight -- but powerful rods are providing the biggest expense. If needed I could easily cut the rod expense back -- but believe it would detract from both the fishing experience and the number of fish hooked (especially at longer distances from the boat).

Although some people have mentioned purchasing used gear as a means to make the budget go further -- no one has mentioned buying during sales. I purchase a considerably amount of my gear during sales. Many businesses offer sales on specific items throughout the year. New gear is more likely to be covered by a warranty -- in the event something does goes wrong.

Susitnasalmonguide
Quantum, HL Outdoors - ESB Bobbers, Pautzke Bait Company, Sufix

papabassin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by papabassin » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:59 pm

I have been following this thread since the OP. My knee jerk reaction was "The reel. No doubt... It has to be the reel, right?" There's something special about an excellent caster that's paired with that buttery smooth retrieve. Then I ran upstairs to where I store my fishing gear and was looking around. I realized I probably spend more money (in general) on my rods. There's something so special about those crisp blanks that are just full of life and extremely sensitive. Add some sweet aesthetics and I just throw money at rods. Then I saw Hogsticker2 say "It's the line." Then I was like, "Crap, he's right too." Without a good quality line you can trust, it doesn't really matter that you have a $500 rod. And now I'm sitting here realizing it's just all of them. They all go together in harmony to bring smiles to our crazy faces. It doesn't matter if it's new or used or if one piece of equipment is more expensive than the other. No matter the application...at the end of the day, if your setup as a whole makes you smile and you're putting fish in the boat, you are doing something right.

Real
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Real » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:46 am

For a spinning outfit, I would spend 400$ on the rod and 50$ on the reel with no problem. During the cast there isn't that much difference between an expensive spinning reel and an ordinary one. For bait casting, I would do the opposite. I could get along with a 50$ rod and a 400$ reel. You don't need that much sensitivity when you cast a spinnerbait or a crankbait. Reaching your target is more important.

Mnsmallieguy
Angler
Angler

Post by Mnsmallieguy » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:30 am

If talking finesse spinning no question the rod is responsible for success. Obviously the sensitivity is most critical.

mickeyfin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mickeyfin » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:48 am

I've used $100 rods with $300 reels. There are more rod manufacturers compared to reels makers to choose from, therefore more competition for the dollar. A few of the top rod makers have come out with decent low budget rods. You can find a few good inexpensive reels as well. If I was in this position I'd spend less on the rod. JMHO

go gettum,
Mike

FishyMCfishFace
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by FishyMCfishFace » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:29 am

Thanks for all the great responses! I really appreciate the time a lot of you spent explaining your views.

masterbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by masterbass » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:44 pm

It depends on the application. For bottom contact, I put more into the rod. For reaction baits, I put more into the reel. For finesse, I put more into the reel.

JigginOG
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by JigginOG » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:53 am

I tend to invest more into a rod for all applications. With the right action and power for the application, you'll be able accurately place your lure where the fishes are and set the hook home once you "feel" the fish.
A pricey reel won't determine a fish at the end of your line.
In today's market, a lot of low end reels have almost the special features as the high end. It may lack a few bearings or may not look as nice, but there are many after market parts you can apply. Not so much for rods.
Whichever route one takes, "you get what you pay for".
:whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

bigfruits
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bigfruits » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:50 am

I usually spend more on the rod. they last longer in my lineup too. sometimes permanently.

Snyder Rods
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Snyder Rods » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:49 am

Even though I'm a rod manufacturer I would say the reel is more important.

That said, you don't have to spend $400.00 to get a good reel.

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:31 am

I don't think you can get a casting reel that isn't junk for 50 bucks. Spinning gear you can get a reliable shimano for 50 and dump the rest into a rod. If I wanted to do casting gear on a tight budget the reel comes first. You can get used td z in good condition for under 150. I have a couple $100 fenwick casting rods. They balance well and preform well enough for bottom contact if you use fluorocarbon.

Ranger Ron 620 DVS
Angler
Angler

Post by Ranger Ron 620 DVS » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:50 am

The Reel...

Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jason Penn » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:52 pm

if we're talking bottom contact, i'm on the rod side. if it's cranks or spinnerbaits, i'm more prone to spend the money on the reel. i've had not so smooth reels perform without a problem fishing plastics or jigs, but i wouldn't be able to stand using them for moving baits.