Theoretical quetion regarding taper and type of reel braking

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Theoretical quetion regarding taper and type of reel braking

Post by adam lancia » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:34 pm

I got to thinking about the generality of magnetic braking being more ideal for heavier lures and centrifugal braking being more ideal for lighter lures. My question is: do specific tapers lend themselves better to the different braking systems? And, are there specific tapers that can help to overcome magnetic braking "deficiencies" when using lighter lures and vice versa...?

I could very well be miles off on this so don't be shy to ask me to give my head a shake :lol:

Merry Christmas Eve all!

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Theoretical quetion regarding taper and type of reel braking

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:43 pm

Part of me thinks a slower taper and slower casting motion help with centrifugal brakes with BFS at least. I feel centrifugal brakes are better for heavier/compact lures and magnetic brakes are better for lures more affected by wind.

I used to be all Daiwa but I have added a 16 Aldebaran BFS (mag brakes), 14 Conquest and an Antares. I have a Metanium on the way after using the centrifugal brakes after not using them for a few years. I truly enjoy the SVS Infinity brakes. I use the Antares for deep cranks and the Metanium will be for square bills, spinnerbaits and chatterbaits. I still have plenty of Daiwa reels in my lineup. SV is game changing.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Tavery5
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tavery5 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:38 pm

Seems to be a bit too vague of a question. Not all magnetic brakes operate the same, the same can be said for centrifugal brakes as well. Generalizations could be made but it may come down to comparing a specific reel/spool/braking design to another.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:19 am

I very well might have confused and oversimplified what I was trying to get at. I'll collect my thoughts and repost later today (with both of your comments in mind). Thanks, and Merry Christmas!

Tavery5
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tavery5 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:12 am

Merry Christmas to you also

Sore Thumb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Sore Thumb » Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:43 am

Not sure if this is what you are getting at. You only have to look at the Pixy platform and its different iterations. Original Mag Force V, aimed predominantly at the pitching scene and the associated XF tapers. Mag Force Z came along as a more all purpose "casting" system for use with fast tapers. The Presso with its fixed rotor, and the SPR, with centrifugal brakes, are suited to slower tapers, as are used with small cranks.
For me the centrifugal system, as used by Shimano, is an excellent all round system. I havent really noticed a preference for different tapers with this system. More of an acceptance of a more aggressive casting stroke.