Shipping Rods

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
CALL ME RIFLE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Shipping Rods

Post by CALL ME RIFLE » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:22 pm

bronzefly wrote:Regardless of what tube material you choose, my suggestion is that if you're going to insure the rod, ship Fed Ex or UPS and avoid shipping rods USPS. If a rod is broken during shipment, generally all three carriers will fight a claim, but USPS has been the most notorious for failing to pay a legitimate clam from my experience over the years.

Another tip - always tape the butt end of the rod securely around and outside of the tube to prevent it moving "up or down" inside the tube. Tips are broken frequently when left unsecured inside the tube. Good luck, it's always nerve racking to ship a rod!
Good ideas here, I would add a couple of failsafes too, I wrap bubble wrap around the largest eyelet like a big donut, wide enough so that it is under pressure sliding it into the tube... Helps to ensure no movement, as well as keep rod centered should handle tape somehow fail..I also use a tube at least four or five inches longer than rod, to stuff the tip end with bubble wrap as well before rod insertion...with those methods in place, and the handle taped as bronzefly describes, in pvc with proper end caps...it would take a deliberate act of sabotage to see the rod damaged...never had a rod damaged yet in sending :) knock on wood....