Need some help starting out BFS.

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
kinniyoubi
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Need some help starting out BFS.

Post by kinniyoubi » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:46 am

Hi yall!

I am really new to fishing and is really interested in BFS. The "main" species of fish in my are is Bass, more specifically the peacock bass. From what I've gathered online, for BFS you use light rod / reel to throw light lures.

I currently have a Shimano Scorpion XT 1001 and I was wondering if this rod will be possible to be used for a BFS setup. I know I can change the spool to a Avail spool and the bearings to something like the Kattobi line offered on hedgehog. However, before spending the money on them I would like to know yall opinion.

Also, if the reel can be used what rod would you recommend? I would say that my budget is around $100 for the rod. It can be increased if it's advisable.

Thank you!

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Need some help starting out BFS.

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:47 am

That particular Scorpion with the 32 mm Yumeya bfs spool will allow you to get your bfs on all day long. That spool completely transforms the reel. Well worth it imo if you want to cast light baits on light line. Act quickly however. These spools are getting hard to source at a reasonable price.
As for the rod, do you want 1 or 2 piece? Major Craft makes some decent rods for around 100 bucks. Personally, I'd spend a little more and get a Shimano Zodias bfs rod. It will pair and match nicely with that Scorpion.

pharmboy2010
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by pharmboy2010 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:00 am

For your $100 rod budget, you aren't going to find a better BFS rod than Major Craft. They have a good selection of both 1 pc and 2 pc rods, depending on your preference. Do not shy away from the 2 pc rod, though. My first BFS rod was a 2 pc Major Craft Go Emotion. Great starter rod for BFS. Lightweight, good components and quality build for the price. Once you have the rod put together, you can't even tell it is a 2 pc.

As far as your reel, just get an Avail spool and some Hedgehog Air BFS bearings and you'll be set!

kinniyoubi
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by kinniyoubi » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:03 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:That particular Scorpion with the 32 mm Yumeya bfs spool will allow you to get your bfs on all day long. That spool completely transforms the reel. Well worth it imo if you want to cast light baits on light line. Act quickly however. These spools are getting hard to source at a reasonable price.
As for the rod, do you want 1 or 2 piece? Major Craft makes some decent rods for around 100 bucks. Personally, I'd spend a little more and get a Shimano Zodias bfs rod. It will pair and match nicely with that Scorpion.
Awesome! Thank you for the reply. How do you think the Yumeya spool will compare to the Avail's? As I am unsure when I can drop the money on the spool (Maybe in the coming months). Do you think that getting newer bearings would help much?

Also, a two piece rod would be ideal as I travel using public transport or using bike. The Zodias that you recommended seems awesome!

One last question, I actually got this reel quite a few years back. I am pretty sure fishing components do not go obsolete as fast as computer parts but is the reel "out-dated" by any means?

kinniyoubi
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by kinniyoubi » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:06 am

pharmboy2010 wrote:For your $100 rod budget, you aren't going to find a better BFS rod than Major Craft. They have a good selection of both 1 pc and 2 pc rods, depending on your preference. Do not shy away from the 2 pc rod, though. My first BFS rod was a 2 pc Major Craft Go Emotion. Great starter rod for BFS. Lightweight, good components and quality build for the price. Once you have the rod put together, you can't even tell it is a 2 pc.

As far as your reel, just get an Avail spool and some Hedgehog Air BFS bearings and you'll be set!
Thats good to know! I am actually using a MajorCraft rod with the reel now. One of the BassPara models and it does it's job well!

Cant wait to get started on BFS when I get the funds :lol:

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:10 am

kinniyoubi wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:That particular Scorpion with the 32 mm Yumeya bfs spool will allow you to get your bfs on all day long. That spool completely transforms the reel. Well worth it imo if you want to cast light baits on light line. Act quickly however. These spools are getting hard to source at a reasonable price.
Awesome! Thank you for the reply. How do you think the Yumeya spool will compare to the Avail's? As I am unsure when I can drop the money on the spool (Maybe in the coming months). Do you think that getting newer bearings would help much?

Also, a two piece rod would be ideal as I travel using public transport or using bike. The Zodias that you recommended seems awesome!

One last question, I actually got this reel quite a few years back. I am pretty sure fishing components do not go obsolete as fast as computer parts but is the reel "out-dated" by any means?
The 50 size Shimano reels will always have love.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:59 am

The Yumeya 32mm bfs spool might be hard to find, at least brand new. Also, how light a lure are you trying to throw?

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:34 pm

If you want a BFS spool, I have 3 that I am willing to sell. I have a Violet colored ZPI spool that is NIB. I have a Yumeya 32mm Mg BFS Spool and a red Avail Ald0915R spool. The Avail is very shallow. Out of the 3, the ZPI is the best. If you wanted to go with dress up parts plus spools, I have three complete sets of ZPI dress up parts plus spools. 2 red and one Violet.

hoskope
Angler
Angler

Post by hoskope » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:44 pm

Bootytrain wrote:The Yumeya 32mm bfs spool might be hard to find, at least brand new. Also, how light a lure are you trying to throw?
This is good guestion, since every angler has own definition of light :lol:

kinniyoubi
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by kinniyoubi » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:59 pm

Thanks for the input guys!

I am currently looking into throwing lures anywhere from 1/16 ~ 1/8. Do you think that swapping out the spool and bearing would work with the XT 1000? I am still pretty new to the BFS "world" but what is the typical weight that people are throwing?

Also I've read a comment saying "Ultralight and BFS is different" Can someone enlighten me on this statement? I thought BFS was using a baitcast to cast sub 2grams lures?

As the spools are pretty expensive, should I got for the Yumeya BFS AL (http://www.plat.co.jp/shop/catalog/prod ... -part.html) or the more expensive Avail (http://www.hedgehog-studio.co.jp/product/1005)
John G wrote:If you want a BFS spool, I have 3 that I am willing to sell. I have a Violet colored ZPI spool that is NIB. I have a Yumeya 32mm Mg BFS Spool and a red Avail Ald0915R spool. The Avail is very shallow. Out of the 3, the ZPI is the best. If you wanted to go with dress up parts plus spools, I have three complete sets of ZPI dress up parts plus spools. 2 red and one Violet.
Thank you for the offer! But I am located in Singapore so shipping might cause some issue. I am also waiting for funds and is unsure if I should take the plunge to spend the money on spool / rod / bearings to go BFS as of yet.

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:47 pm

kinniyoubi wrote:Thanks for the input guys!

I am currently looking into throwing lures anywhere from 1/16 ~ 1/8. Do you think that swapping out the spool and bearing would work with the XT 1000? I am still pretty new to the BFS "world" but what is the typical weight that people are throwing?

Also I've read a comment saying "Ultralight and BFS is different" Can someone enlighten me on this statement? I thought BFS was using a baitcast to cast sub 2grams lures?

As the spools are pretty expensive, should I got for the Yumeya BFS AL (http://www.plat.co.jp/shop/catalog/prod ... -part.html) or the more expensive Avail (http://www.hedgehog-studio.co.jp/product/1005)
John G wrote:If you want a BFS spool, I have 3 that I am willing to sell. I have a Violet colored ZPI spool that is NIB. I have a Yumeya 32mm Mg BFS Spool and a red Avail Ald0915R spool. The Avail is very shallow. Out of the 3, the ZPI is the best. If you wanted to go with dress up parts plus spools, I have three complete sets of ZPI dress up parts plus spools. 2 red and one Violet.
Thank you for the offer! But I am located in Singapore so shipping might cause some issue. I am also waiting for funds and is unsure if I should take the plunge to spend the money on spool / rod / bearings to go BFS as of yet.
I think Plat might be out of stock on that Yumeya Al spool. Since you are in Singapore, you are in luck. You need to be on Facebook. There are a ton of people in your area that are doing bait finesse. Go to Facebook and do searches on bait fitness fishing.

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:48 pm

If you need anymore help with the Facebook thing, send me a private message.

kinniyoubi
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by kinniyoubi » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:10 am

John G wrote:If you need anymore help with the Facebook thing, send me a private message.
Awesome thanks! I found the group (BFS (Bait Finesse Style / System) - Fishing) and have requested to join.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:25 am

How much do you want for that Yumeya spool :-k

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:19 am

$100 BFS rod? That's a tall order.

I'd look at the Majorcraft Benkei BFS BIC-652UL. Perfect light tip to powerful backbone BFS rod taper but shipping costs could be a deal breaker. Hopefully going 2 piece will keep the shipping down. The low limit for the rod is absurd as are most Majorcraft rods. Expect 1/8 ounce total weight to be the usable low limit.
http://www.plat.co.jp/shop/catalog/prod ... reshwater/

The Tatula TAT610MXB is an option. They can be had for close to $100 on ebay and have a highly flexible solid carbon tip. They're supposedly very similar in taper to the Steez Megatop. Heck, I just bought one just now. I can't pass on a $100 solid carbon tip casting rod.

Honorable mentions:

BPS Carbon Lite 6'6'' ML $80 on sale. I believe this rod shares it's blank with the spinning model. I've got my hands on the 6'6'' ML spinning in store and it's got an appropriate taper and light tip for down to 1/8 ounce jig head and 1/10 ounce soft plastic trailer.
http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-J ... 210641353/

Kuying Teton TTC662L. $56. I've got this one and it'll bomb small baits better than anything I own but is a moderate taperd whippy noodle fairy wand. It's destroys my 682L Volkey BFS in casting distance with 1/8 total weight but the Volkey is much, much more powerful. I fish it with #6 XL throwing Rebel Teeny Wee series baits so I can't comment on sensitivity.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1-98-me ... daac1a5340

Honestly, you're better off raising the budget a bit and getting a great BFS rod for around $200. There's a lot of options at that price point but shipping costs can be very high in one piece models. Be careful with the Zodias BFS rods though. They fish one power higher than their rated power. For example my 610ML BFS fishes like a M and my 172M fishes like a MH rod.

Spools:

I'm no a Shimano guy and don't know anything about the yumea spool but there are DIY spools for the Scorpion 1000XT. The Daiwa versions of these spools are well liked and at $50 they are very affordable as well.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/DIY-non- ... 56d9ba7782