FG knot question

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

FG knot question

Post by Randingo » Wed May 04, 2016 12:25 pm

I posted this on the line forum as well...

I've been working on getting comfortable tying the FG knot to connect fluoro or mono leaders to my braid. I'm finding it interesting that the knot seems to behave differently in different combinations of line, both size and brand. At this point I have the mechanics of the knot pretty well under control--my fingers have figured it out. It seems that as I get better at it, the "finger cuff" portion of the knot gets more compact. In many videos I've watched, especially from saltwater guys, they make an effort to condense that section of the knot, and it certainly looks neater and feels smoother when tied that way. But a few videos I've seen seem to suggest that compacting the constricting portion of the knot isn't necessary or even desirable. The thinking in the latter case seems to be that the greater the length, the more area the braid bites into the leader. But it seems the guys who promote that version of the knot are relative beginners to the knot, while the more experienced and proficient (as determined by me based on the scant evidence of how they appear to tie the knot on a YouTube video) favor keeping the wraps close and tight in traditional knot tying style.

So here's my question: for those of you who have been working with the knot a while, do you feel that one of these ways yields better results? In my limited testing at the bench, both seem to hold up pretty equally, but that testing hasn't involved shocking the knot or fish. So I figured I'd like to hear some feedback while I'm still getting used to tying this knot. And as an aside that some of you might find interesting, in my tests, a blood knot holds more consistently than the Uni-to-uni join that seems so popular. I decided to test those when I saw that Matt Allen recommends and uses the blood knot.

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: FG knot question

Post by Tim Kelly » Wed May 04, 2016 3:42 pm

I find that however closely I do the weaves, they tend to spread out a bit when I pull on the knot after the first half hitch. I think pulling hard at this point is critical in setting the knot, then finishing it off with a few more hitches. Not sure how a tight weave would stay tight at that point as it's the weaves doing their job that spreads them out a bit. Such a great knot, as long as you have it down so that it's working I wouldn't worry too much about the aesthetics.

Inspectorlee
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Inspectorlee » Thu May 05, 2016 12:35 am

The "finger cuff" section has always been compact when I tie it. This is probably due to the thinness of the lines that I join together (20-25 lb braid to 10 lb fluoro leader) and the method that I use to tie the FG knot. In tying the knot, I've never had to slide the wraps together, they automatically lie next to each other as I tie the knot. I've said this before, but I had difficulty tying this knot until I found a video that showed a slightly different manner to tie it (search my posts for the video link if anyone's interested). After watching that video, I can finally tie it consistently, even in the field under less than ideal conditions.

On a slightly different note, I want to like the blood knot, but I just can't tie it consistently. And yes, I've seen the Matt Allen video along with others. Because of this fact, I don't use it. I think once I find a way to tie it that makes sense to me, I may start adopting it to see if I like it more than the FG knot (which is the only connection knot I use now for my leaders).

MTBF
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by MTBF » Thu May 05, 2016 12:40 am

Easiest video I've seen on the knot.

Heavier Line Video
https://www.facebook.com/jpderose73/vid ... =3&theater

Lighter Line Video(First in the List)
https://www.facebook.com/jpderosefishing/videos

It was posted by JP DeRose on his Facebook page. Funky knot I dont have any applications for it other than spinning tackle.

Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Randingo » Thu May 05, 2016 7:23 am

Thanks for the replies and links. It seems as I get better at it, the knot becomes more compact through the woven portion. In any case, I'll see where further practice leads me...

BigJim
Angler
Angler

Post by BigJim » Wed May 11, 2016 2:37 am

Mine look cleaner when using lighter lines. 6lb fluoro onto 10lb Fireline gives me a nicer looking knot than 12lb fluoro onto 20lb or 40lb braid. I haven't been tying the FG very long though.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Wed May 11, 2016 3:32 am

This makes the case for a nice compact set of wraps -

http://www.saltstrong.com/articles/fg-knot-mistake/

Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Randingo » Wed May 11, 2016 4:22 am

uljersey wrote:This makes the case for a nice compact set of wraps -

http://www.saltstrong.com/articles/fg-knot-mistake/
Thanks.

fati
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fati » Wed May 11, 2016 4:50 am

The series of hitch knots make it less compact, I guess its okay and more solid for trolling, but would it be fine if I made only 2 if I intend to cast with that knot ?

Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Randingo » Wed May 11, 2016 5:58 am

I put two half hitches over the line and leader, two over the main line, and then do a 5-8 turn Rizutto finish. The Rizutto is like a whip finish or nail knot, makes a smoother transition, and won't come undone like hitches can.

Toadslayer72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Toadslayer72 » Wed May 11, 2016 8:44 am

You may have seen my vid on the FG knot but here ya go anyway.
https://youtu.be/JvwgRr-rt9I

In short, I've gone through a progression with this knot. Starting out big and long and scaling it back over the years. As far as tightening the weave with everything you've got before doing your half hitches, I feel like a little movement should be left so it bites in on the final cinch down. I do tighten it some though. I've never had a failure with this knot but I've only tested it with bass up to 7-3/4 lbs. My hooksets are usually somewhat violent too.

Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Randingo » Wed May 11, 2016 11:49 am

Excellent video, Toadslayer. Do you use the exact same technique with light (6-10#) leaders? I find it difficult with that technique in lighter lines to get much tension on the wraps initially and instead just draw it tight in stages. Just curious...

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tim Kelly » Wed May 11, 2016 6:52 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Yn5SapCFBA

This is my preferred method. Though I put more half hitches after cutting the leader

Toadslayer72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Toadslayer72 » Wed May 11, 2016 7:31 pm

Randingo wrote:Excellent video, Toadslayer. Do you use the exact same technique with light (6-10#) leaders? I find it difficult with that technique in lighter lines to get much tension on the wraps initially and instead just draw it tight in stages. Just curious...

That's the thing, I only use it with heavier lines as I only throw big baits. I do however tie leaders for my son who uses a Med light spinning outfit as well as standard baitcasting gear but I just use the Alberto for his rigs. After years of seeing these knots with 80 lb. braid and 20-25 lb. leader, 30 lb. braid and 12 lb. leader looks like nothing to me as far as an Alberto. Not to mention 10 lb. braid and 6 lb. leader. Knots tied with diameters that small look like specks to me, lol.

I've experimented with several knots going back quite a few years now and it wasn't until I started using the Alberto that I really started paying attention to the nuances of how that knot and the FG knot work when tying them w different lines. It's like you said, there is definitely variation. One thing I have noticed w lighter lines in general is that more of a weave is usually better and sometimes absolutely necessary in order to get the knot to work. Another observation is that Samurai has worked the best for me w the FG. I think with it being so suple, it lends itself to better biting as opposed to those harder/slicker braids. That said, I didn't experiment with too many braid brands. Just a couple of the more popular brands until I tried Samurai. That's when my braid search ended and it's a plus that it works SO well for me with the FG in my system.

fati
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fati » Wed May 11, 2016 10:26 pm

Randingo wrote:I put two half hitches over the line and leader, two over the main line, and then do a 5-8 turn Rizutto finish. The Rizutto is like a whip finish or nail knot, makes a smoother transition, and won't come undone like hitches can.
Great idea, Ive found a video that wasnt really well explained, I will look at it try to find a better one and pratice, I understand that the rizutto seems to be adding some opposite pressure to the fg.

-leader-->FG>>x<<Riz<--line-