Tungsten Bullet Weights

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
Scattergun2570
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Tungsten Bullet Weights

Post by Scattergun2570 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:54 am

I am very confused. I am looking at all these different manufacturers on Tacklewarehouse.. I have no idea why one could be any better than the other.. Can anyone help me make a choice?

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Tungsten Bullet Weights

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:33 pm

I don't think there is much of a difference besides price and shape.

I like xcalibur myself...

Lucky1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Lucky1 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:29 am

I think real deal tungsten is the best prices I have found. I think BBC members get a discount but you might want to check on that. Just make sure you get 97% Tungsten and you should be good.

trevorvandam
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by trevorvandam » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:45 pm

You might also want to consider inserts if you are worried about your line getting frayed. But me personally, I haven't had any problems without them. So I like Picasso. I think that the price is decent aswell.

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:18 am

https://youtu.be/oKznUdeeWGw
Labour intensive but a good way to insert.
Frankly i dont usually do it and have no problems with a variety of brands.

jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jmb27 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:28 am

I don't like the tungsten weights with inserts as you lose some of the feel from the tungsten (defeating the purpose a bit). If it's quality tungsten, it will be smooth on the inside, so line fray isn't an issue.

I like the Picasso (old tru-tungsten molds) and the Eco Pro weights. The Eco Pro weights also have colors like watermelon red flake, black blue flake, etc. in addition to solid colors.

wiel0059
Angler
Angler

Post by wiel0059 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:12 am

I've had good success with the VMC tungsten bullet weights - zero complaints in 2+ years of use. I can't say for certain since I haven't bought any in quite some time, but I think they are on the cheaper end as well.

FrankW
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by FrankW » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:10 am

I have been using the Siebert Tungsten. I particularly like the Siebert Rocket Tungsten 1/16 oz weight. All have good color and well made. Never felt the need for an insert with the lighter weights.

Frank

phatbass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by phatbass » Sat May 14, 2016 7:36 am

I buy mine from jcs insert free and smooth bore polished on the inside ,so no issues with line fray at all.

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:53 am

phatbass wrote:I buy mine from jcs insert free and smooth bore polished on the inside ,so no issues with line fray at all.
Good Call Jeff, got a set to try, really nice smooth edges, like them so far.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:26 am

I got some Eco pros from Wired 2 Fish in a giveaway and have been buying them since then. Never had issues with line fray or anything. I've also started using the TD Tungsten skirt keeper weights for punching. Been very happy with those as well. It honestly just came down to color, size, and shape for me, although most are very close in shape.

Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Randingo » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:13 am

While well-made weights are very smooth, I tend to find that it's the properties of fluoro that make me prefer to insert tungsten weights. I've not had problems with tungsten causing line fray with mono or braid, but fluoro is just different: it doesn't fray so much as it cracks and fractures. With fluoro, I want every "corner" that it comes into contact with "padded." I usually do the Aaron Martens thing. The only tungsten weights with inserts I like and trust that I've used so far are Reins.

cure-hb
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by cure-hb » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:37 am

Randingo wrote:While well-made weights are very smooth, I tend to find that it's the properties of fluoro that make me prefer to insert tungsten weights. I've not had problems with tungsten causing line fray with mono or braid, but fluoro is just different: it doesn't fray so much as it cracks and fractures. With fluoro, I want every "corner" that it comes into contact with "padded." I usually do the Aaron Martens thing. The only tungsten weights with inserts I like and trust that I've used so far are Reins.
totally agree