Coangler Tackle Space?

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
clemmy
Angler
Angler

Coangler Tackle Space?

Post by clemmy » Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:11 am

I'm wanting to start fishing as a Coangler, and I have questions on equipment. I'm fine on my Rod setup, which will be 4-5 depending if I double up one style. I'm fine with tackle at 4-6 Plano boxes.

I've been reading multiple articles on non boater tackle to bring, and I'm at a loss as to how to fit all the stuff some say you need/want and still keep one manageable bag! I've seperated some of the stuff that has been said into things I think are pretty much required, and those that are also recommended:

Likely needed:

Flotation device (could just be worn)
Backup of (in some combination) reels/spools/line
Pliers
Phone
License
Cull tags
Fish bag
Scent
Dye
Water
Sunglasses
Towel
Sunscreen
Maps
Rainwear
Superglue
Trash bag (to keep boater's boat clean)
Scale
Insect repellant
Measuring board/bump board

Things I've read that are recommended:

Plug knocker/line
Extra dry clothes
Camera
Adjustable wrench
Screwdrivers
Balance beam
Duct tape
First aid kit
Live well treatment
Ice
Urinal
Floating marker buoys
Wet wipes
More sunglasses
Net
Snacks
Hook sharpener
Duct tape
Etc.

My question is how can you fit all this (even just my list) in one small tackle bag?? I'll be new to the tournament scene down here in Florida, and I want to be the kind of Coangler boater's want. I understand it would be different if it's more of a regular boater/non boater team setup. I'm referring more to a Coangler draw type.

Thanks for any advice/tips!

Clemmy

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Coangler Tackle Space?

Post by Fishing4Fun » Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:07 am

If you will be fishing with the same boater for an extended period of time I would talk to them in person or on the phone to get the scoop. Chances are they will have many of those items in the boat and availble to share with you whenever needed. I would assume some of the items can be stored in various storage compartments to keep out of sight.

Also figure out some things ahead of time. Weather should dictate clothing/jacket needed. Also time of year should have an impact on what your bring for baits and how you rig. Leave some things at home that you don't think will be needed for the given day. For example you may not need jerkbaits and jigging spoons for a hot summer pattern.

Lastly I would suggest carrying everything in a larger backpack and a freezer bag for your plastics. A backpack like the Okuma or TW backpack will have room for all of your scents, pliers, extra line, hardbaits, jigs, and terminal tackle, etc. Most good fishing backpacks have multiple pockets of various sizes along with 4 of the 3600 sized boxes. The freezer bag will allow to take about a dozen or 2 bags of your favorite soft baits.

Good luck and again be sure to check with your boater or boaters if they change each time.

legendaryyaj
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by legendaryyaj » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:45 am

This smells like a troll post based on your list.

Your recommended list is too far off for this not to be a troll post. Duct tape? Screw drivers? Wrench? You're not going to a garage. If your boater doesn't have any of those items in his boat already, he's a worthless boater. A boater should not rely on his co to have all the essentials. As a boater, they don't want you to bring a bunch of stuff that he has already to clutter up the space even more. Not everyone will have a 21fter.

I haven't fished across the U.S. as a co-angler but when you draw, it's always best to ask your boater what you should bring or what they would like you to have on your own and how they plan to fish. You can bring all the gear you want to cover all kinds of techniques, but if your boater isn't fishing those techniques you rigged up for, it's all a waste. They are fishing for them and only them. They aren't there to share fish with you as they are wanting a check too. You will run into some nice boaters but a lot of them are in it for themselves and you are only allowed to fish off the back of their boat because they have to have a co or else they can't fish.

BTW, Power Poles are nice for the boater but can be a PITA for a co-angler.

GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GOOD YEAR 71 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:00 pm

I commend you on your forethought of not being a hindrance, such attitude will prove beneficial, but I would venture any seasoned tournament boater should have everything. Your job as co-pilot is to be self sufficient and not complicate things. Bringing waaaaaay too much is a surefire method of complicating things.

You know what you need, so bring it and forget the rest. Whatever size bag you have is fine for now. Bring your vest plus whatever else you would normally use. Remember, you're back of the bus, so your presentation does not necessarily have to be the same. Be prepared to target the entire column, check online to familiarize yourself with the water.

Forget spare reels and all that. If you're bringing four or five sets, that means you have three or four backups that will serve fine for day out. You can only use one at a time anyway.

Defer to authority as if it's your first day on a new job. Because it is. That means keep your mouth shut and stay alert. Be friendly and thoughtful. For instance, before you even step in you should offer to kick down for fuel. If you make a sandwich for yourself then make one for your pilot. Same for beverage. You're forming a team here, so kick down for the team.

clemmy
Angler
Angler

Post by clemmy » Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:28 pm

[quote="legendaryyaj"]This smells like a troll post based on your list.

Your recommended list is too far off for this not to be a troll post. Duct tape? Screw drivers? Wrench? You're not going to a garage. If your boater doesn't have any of those items in his boat already, he's a worthless boater. A boater should not rely on his co to have all the essentials. As a boater, they don't want you to bring a bunch of stuff that he has already to clutter up the space even more. Not everyone will have a 21fter

Troll Post? Feel free to keep your opinions to yourself and just not participate.

I didn't take the time to look them all back up, but here's the list recommending two screwdrivers:

http://www.wmi.org/bassfish/bassboard/f ... _id=141981

Here's one recommending 3 extra pair of underwear and 3 pair of extra shoes!:

http://www.examiner.com/article/co-angl ... -pack-list

Thanks Fishin 4 fun, yes, it would be easier if you had a set team partner, but I'm asking more about a random draw style.

Good Year, your points are well taken. The reason I see most people recommend the extra spools is that it's quicker to change a spool than remove a backlash. Another argument for it that I see is you could change line diameter to make small depth adjustments on a crank or jerkbait bite to, say, just tick the top of weeds etc. I guess you could also just switch out reels from one of the other 4 rods if you planned ahead some.

Thanks, and keep the help coming please!

Clemmy

legendaryyaj
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by legendaryyaj » Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:22 pm

clemmy wrote: Troll Post? Feel free to keep your opinions to yourself and just not participate.

I didn't take the time to look them all back up, but here's the list recommending two screwdrivers:

Thanks Fishin 4 fun, yes, it would be easier if you had a set team partner, but I'm asking more about a random draw style.

Good Year, your points are well taken. The reason I see most people recommend the extra spools is that it's quicker to change a spool than remove a backlash. Another argument for it that I see is you could change line diameter to make small depth adjustments on a crank or jerkbait bite to, say, just tick the top of weeds etc. I guess you could also just switch out reels from one of the other 4 rods if you planned ahead some.

Clemmy
lol! You are obviously new to the internet.

Go ahead and pack all that stuff and tell us how it goes for you. I offered you advice regardless but whatever.

clemmy
Angler
Angler

Post by clemmy » Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:55 pm

legendaryyaj wrote:
clemmy wrote: Troll Post? Feel free to keep your opinions to yourself and just not participate.

Clemmy

Go ahead and pack all that stuff and tell us how it goes for you. I offered you advice regardless but whatever.
I clearly listed what I believe is necessary. My question was not what to bring, but where to put the extra, non tackle equipment. Many people list a ton of items to bring (thus the examples) but then say to bring it in one medium tackle bag. I'm fine with 4 Planos and 4-5 rods, which I'd garner is less than many would bring. But I don't see the rest fitting with the Planos in a medium bag, thus my question.

I'm guessing everyone now can figure out which type of boater you are..

legendaryyaj
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by legendaryyaj » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:29 am

clemmy wrote:
legendaryyaj wrote:

Clemmy

I clearly listed what I believe is necessary. My question was not what to bring, but where to put the extra, non tackle equipment. Many people list a ton of items to bring (thus the examples) but then say to bring it in one medium tackle bag. I'm fine with 4 Planos and 4-5 rods, which I'd garner is less than many would bring. But I don't see the rest fitting with the Planos in a medium bag, thus my question.

I'm guessing everyone now can figure out which type of boater you are..
I'm sorry miss.

I guess I should have asked if you are a traveling co-angler across the U.S. or just doing so around your area. If you are traveling, you would need all those as listed. Thank you for pointing that out. Again, sorry for not accounting for that. It's good to see women in the tournament scene. Kudos to you and don't let the men turn you away. Keep at it.

clemmy
Angler
Angler

Post by clemmy » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:32 am

All that has happened was you falsely accused me. When given evidence, instead of a simple apology, you attacked me again. And now you are declaring yourself to be a misogynist as well...

Can we please get back to the original questions without the distraction?

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:41 pm

clemmy wrote:I'm wanting to start fishing as a Coangler, and I have questions on equipment. I'm fine on my Rod setup, which will be 4-5 depending if I double up one style. I'm fine with tackle at 4-6 Plano boxes.

I've been reading multiple articles on non boater tackle to bring, and I'm at a loss as to how to fit all the stuff some say you need/want and still keep one manageable bag! I've seperated some of the stuff that has been said into things I think are pretty much required, and those that are also recommended:

Likely needed:

Flotation device (could just be worn)
Backup of (in some combination) reels/spools/line
Pliers
Phone
License
Cull tags
Fish bag
Scent
Dye
Water
Sunglasses
Towel
Sunscreen
Maps
Rainwear
Superglue
Trash bag (to keep boater's boat clean)
Scale
Insect repellant
Measuring board/bump board

Things I've read that are recommended:

Plug knocker/line
Extra dry clothes
Camera
Adjustable wrench
Screwdrivers
Balance beam
Duct tape
First aid kit
Live well treatment
Ice
Urinal
Floating marker buoys
Wet wipes
More sunglasses
Net
Snacks
Hook sharpener
Duct tape
Etc.

My question is how can you fit all this (even just my list) in one small tackle bag?? I'll be new to the tournament scene down here in Florida, and I want to be the kind of Coangler boater's want. I understand it would be different if it's more of a regular boater/non boater team setup. I'm referring more to a Coangler draw type.

Thanks for any advice/tips!

Clemmy
I would honestly omit 50-60% of the items from your list. One pair of sunglasses is plenty. I wouldn't bring many backup items that weren't fishing lures. Your hooks should be sharpened before hand. Bring a Gatorade bottle drink it and then use it as pee bottle the rest of the day. Your phone should have a camera so omit that one. 99% of the boaters will have most of list two covered.

For a day fishing as Co-Angler this is what I would bring off the top of my head...

Jackett/Sweatshirt depending upon the time of year.
Raingear just in case
Fishing license in wallet
Sunglasses
Sunscreen/Bug Spray in my back pack
KVD line and lure/Scent also in my backpack
Multi tool/line cutters/pliers also in my backpack
4 casting and 1 spinning outfit
Backpack would have:
1 3600 with hard baits
1 3600 with spinnerbaits/chatterbaits/swimjigs
1 3600 with jigs
1 2600 with terminal rigging
1 Ziplock bag of soft plastics
1 cooler with drinks and food for the boater and I

I would tuck the extra jacket and rain gear in a storage compartment along with the back pack and soft baits in another or under the consule. Cooler can go wherever there is space depending upon size of the cooler and storage on the boat.

There isn't a cut and dry answer. It will depend upon what type of rig you are fishing out. My buddy just got a Ranger Z20 and has tons of space for Co-Angler gear

Bassmar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bassmar » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:05 pm

The fact that someone would suggest that you need three sets of clothing, sweatshirts, shoes etc would make me doubt the rest of his advice as well. I think a boater would be justifiably less than amused if you pitch up with a wardrobe of clothes. After all how many time are you going to fall in the water in a days fishing? :doh: Some things just require a bit of common sense. :lol:

clemmy
Angler
Angler

Post by clemmy » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:25 pm

Thanks Guys,

Fishing4fun, your list is very similar to my working list (the top list). Yes, I eliminated the stuff in the lower list, those were just other things that I had seen in various lists. But your answer has helped me! What I was thinking, that when it was said to limit yourself to one medium tackle bag, I thought they meant for EVERYTHING. But your saying rain suit, etc. could be in a seperated bag makes things a lot easier.

Bassmar- Yeah, can you believe that? That why I included the other stuff that was recommended, they all said limit yourself to a med. tackle bag. I couldn't reconcile all they said they would bring and the single bag. Now I understand that they must have meant the tackle bag for TACKLE, not the sundries.

Thanks to both of you!

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:02 am

You bet! I would also add a life vest to my list but the boater may carry a few. Also maybe add a bit of cash to cover boat and vehicle gas and maybe a state park permit or other incidental expenditures.

I want to see some coangler show up with a tool chest, porta-poddy, portable closet, and a separate "nice" camera. The second list is what I would expect a mom to take or possibly McGuiver :lol:

Crankbaitmaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Crankbaitmaker » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:45 pm

I have had plenty of non boaters on the back of my boat. I have fished local, in state, and have spent my share on the road. I expect a co-angler to bring his own drinks and food. Be considerate with the food because I don't want to have to spend my evening cleaning up your crumbs out of my boat. Any tools needed for anything will already be in the boat. Extra clothing should be put in some type of drawstring bag. It is flexable and can be put in either the spare rod box in the box behind the seat. I have two front compartments on the front deck of my Skeeter. You get the first one. If you can't make your tackle fit in that big box then you can't take it. I don't carry cull tags for my non-boater. I do carry a net, scales, and a golden rule on the boat. I also carry a cell phone if needed.

It is a good idea to bring your own sunscreen. I put mine on the in morning before I leave the house or hotel and never bother with it again. I don't bring any food. I am there to put fish in the boat and take home a check. I can handle 8-10 hrs. with no food. I don't even eat breakfast. I don't want to have the possible issues of stomach cramps, etc, etc and have to worry about running to the dock to take care of stuff like that. I carry a small roll of toilet paper in a ziplock bag on the boat if needed. You only need a quarter of the roll if you bring your own (which would be a good idea). Additionally, a small flashlight would be good to have for anyone. I will have ice in the cooler of the boat. There will be enough room for your drinks and food. Pack your food in a gallon ziplock bag so it doesn't get wet. Stuff like cookies, nabs, etc will go in the compartment behind your seat.

I am a firm believer in tackle bags over tackle boxes. Again, tackle bags are flexable and are soft as well. I don't want some hard box bouncing around in my compartment scratching and marking things up. When selecting your bag or box make sure it will fit in a compartment. If you bring some overly high bag or box that won't allow the compartment lid to shut then it will sit in front of you where you can babysit it making sure it is stable when we run. Again, I don't want your gear beating up my boat.

Four or five rods is good. They will sit next to your seat. I have had so many co-anglers spend a large part of their time trying to untangle rods, line and baits because they are all piled up on top of each other in a heap. If I have room, I am more than happy to put some of your rods in the box with mine.

For plastics, I would get the large worm bag from Bass Pro. It is soft, relatively small, has compartments for terminal tackle (if you choose to use them). If you need more plastics than that bag holds then in my opinion you are clueless what to throw anyway. Leave your plastics in the original bag. You can put two bags in one of the ziplock containers in the bag and zip it just fine. Plus that keeps the oils in the bag and not in my boat. Don't be throwing used plastics with oil, scents, and dyes on the carpet. Get a gallon baggy and throw your used plastics and garbage in there and seal it. Since you are on the back deck, you can put it in the compartment behind the seat within easy reach. If you use dyes and jellys on your plastics then bring a towel and double it over to lay down on the deck and apply the dye or jelly over the towel. Lay your bait on the towel while it dries. If you really want to piss a boat owner off then get chartruese die or jelly on his gray carpet or on the gelcoat of his boat. Keep the bottle in your hand, and don't lay it down. You don't want a spill. When you are done make sure the lid is tight and put it back in a secure place.

A plug knocker is a good idea. Get a small piece of wood and drill a hole in the corner. Use cord, not rope, and tie about 20 ft to the hole. Cord is thinner and will take up less room in your bag when rolled up. The wood will float if you loose the cord out of your hand and you can retrieve it. The "Hound Dog" is the perfect size for a plug knocker. It has plenty of weight and is compact. Be careful using plug knockers, you don't want to knock a hole in the gelcoat because it banged the side of the boat. Just be mindful. Some boaters won't give you a chance to use them. They don't want to stop and will tell you to break it off. Oh yeah, bring your own pliers and cutters.

If you really travel and need to carry all kinds of baits, then get a duffel or boat bag and put your Plano boxes in there. You can get a lot boxes in one. Then when you figure out what you need for each place you can get what you need and leave the rest in the room. I am always happy to meet with my co-angler and tell them what I plan to do and what I feel he really needs to take with him. If he wants to bring more that is fine with me as long as he does not get rediculous with it. The weight that your gear adds to the boat can affect my gas mileage on long runs or if running and gunning.

Get your own vest. I have one in the boat but it is an XXL so that it will fit anyone. Having your own personal vest that fits you properly is one of the best investments you will ever make whether you own a boat or not. It's your life.

Sorry for the ramble. I just put stuff down as it came to mind. I hope this will help.

Crankbaitmaker.
Last edited by Crankbaitmaker on Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bassmar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bassmar » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:26 am

^^^^ Great concise summary. =D> =D> Should really help any aspiring non boaters out there. And a few experienced ones as well. :lol: