Daiwa/BPS breakup

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
JWR075
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Daiwa/BPS breakup

Post by JWR075 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:20 pm

Seems BPS has dropped Daiwa. It has been reported on another forum that the new catalog does not have any Daiwa products in it. When looking online at reels, I noticed there were none there either.

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Daiwa/BPS breakup

Post by Finnz922 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:29 pm

Some of my old fellow employees said at both BPS and Cabela's that Daiwa doesn't give enough incentives to sell their product like Pflueger, Abu, Lew's, and Shimano do. Not to mention the house brand incentive. Now at Cabela's this isn't so much the case since there are Daiwa reels that are the house brand models.

Not very many sales promotions and the reps around Nebraska, Kansas, and Iowa are terribly hard to get ahold of and tend to not know much about the higher end or JDM offerings, especially new product. They do it for the discount on lower lines of reels and rods.

Note: These are MY few remaining sources at only a couple of locations. May not be the case in your neck of the woods.

JWR075
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by JWR075 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:49 am

I know Daiwa used to make special versions for BPS (like the Pro series of spinning reels and baitcast reels) plus BPS use to sale Daiwa combos (like the Procaster series). Hate this but kind of figured this would happen since my local (Concord, NC) BPS never really had many Daiwa reels in stock unless they were lower end (never saw a PX there and only 1 Steez but always seemed to have the Laguna and Aird) and only carried the lower end Daiwa rods in stock.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:54 am

BPS is not much more than a big bargain bin when it comes to tackle in my opinion. It is only fitting that a reel manufacturer that focuses more on the high end be shunned.
Last Chance, Angler's Marine, and the Tackle Warehouse here in California have better tackle departments for high end bass gear. We are spoiled and I realize that isn't the case for most of the country. The only reason that I go to BPS is to entertain my kids or to try on clothing.

665 almostevil
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by 665 almostevil » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:05 am

toddmc wrote:BPS is not much more than a big bargain bin when it comes to tackle in my opinion. It is only fitting that a reel manufacturer that focuses more on the high end be shunned.
Last Chance, Angler's Marine, and the Tackle Warehouse here in California have better tackle departments for high end bass gear. We are spoiled and I realize that isn't the case for most of the country. The only reason that I go to BPS is to entertain my kids or to try on clothing.
true

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:54 am

BPS is a great store, however they market low end customers.
Most high end customers prefer to buy high end stuff online, because you don't have to pay any taxes.
7% VAT on 400 reel makes it even more expensive for another 30 dollars.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:05 am

When it comes to fishing tackle BPS & Cabela's drove me away years ago with their high shipping. Plenty of places to buy Daiwa reels: TTT, TW, THUT, & any more. I basely buy clothing from them.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:14 am

We go there to see Santa once a year.
And when I want to use the bathroom.

JWR075
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by JWR075 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:50 am

BigG wrote:When it comes to fishing tackle BPS & Cabela's drove me away years ago with their high shipping. Plenty of places to buy Daiwa reels: TTT, TW, THUT, & any more. I basely buy clothing from them.
The issue I have is being able to put my hands on said product. TW, TTT and others are not close so one must buy "blind".

GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GOOD YEAR 71 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:25 am

zodiak311 wrote:We go there to see Santa once a year.
They do have a nice stall, don't they? I'm with you guys, I don't see the appeal either. Terminal tackle amounts to a bad joke, might even do better at a Walmart or something, though I do enjoy the sweets shop with its candy apples and all. :big grin:

ibobpeb
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ibobpeb » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:38 am

Isn't BPS buying Cabela's? Anyway I find that BPS is always a few dollars more expensive than other places so I rarely shop there anymore.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:42 am

Most of us here on this board represent the .0000001% of tackle buyers that know the difference between a Zebco 33 and a Daiwa. Johnny Morris is after the other 99.999999% who don't. It's just smart business. Sure, we'd love to wander the aisles of a store packed to the rafters with all the exotic stuff. It does exist, it's called the internet. A brick and mortar store stocked like that wouldn't last a month.

Rumor has it that BPS will eventually carry only their house brand stuff exclusively. It's been creeping that way for a while now ... the profit margin is much higher on the private label stuff.

BPS, Cabela's, Academy, etc. all serve their purpose. We all at one time bought from them and some among us still do. Some 12 year old kid will nail some nice fish this spring with the BPS rig he got for Christmas and within a few years he'll be posting here. We all start somewhere 8-)

JWR075
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by JWR075 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:55 am

GOOD YEAR 71 wrote:
zodiak311 wrote:We go there to see Santa once a year.
They do have a nice stall, don't they? I'm with you guys, I don't see the appeal either. Terminal tackle amounts to a bad joke, might even do better at a Walmart or something, though I do enjoy the sweets shop with its candy apples and all. :big grin:
Not my local Walmart they don't even stock reels anymore.

Rich Frye
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Rich Frye » Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:12 pm

BPS will always trounce Wally in the Stall Wars.

goblue
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by goblue » Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:54 am

I remember the days I would be so excited to get a bass pro shops gift card.
Those days are long gone.