Found out that we are all wasting money...

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
joeyblackwood
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Found out that we are all wasting money...

Post by joeyblackwood » Tue May 26, 2015 2:26 pm

On all these overpriced lures. I was fishing the other day near some bluegill beds with small bluegill colored jig when one of those aggressive little bed queens slammed me right as a two pound bass was stalking my jig. I was so frustrated I didn't even try to reel it in with the hopes it would come off and the jig would stay in the strike zone. Well, none of that happened and what happened next has me ready to sell off all my overpriced luckycraft and megabass lures and swimbaits. An eight pounder came in out of nowhere and inhaled the bluegill, I was so shocked I just froze for a few seconds until I snapped out of it and swung hard. Luckily I was using braid because that big girl fought hard. I was so shocked even when I pulled her out of the water and held her up for a photo. Its my PB by a good two pounds and this was caught in some waters that I was convinced had no fish bigger than three pounds due to the fishing pressure and the 'freezer fillers' that keep every single thing they catch. After reading about how the current world record was caught with a bluegill (I don't acknowledge George Perry's fish as credible as it wasn't examined properly and to put it frankly I believe its total BS as Georgia fish don't get that big and never have) , I see no reason to use anything else besides bluegill as bait especially since every big fish I've ever encountered doesn't pay any attention to lures. For the longest time I've been against using live bait for anything but after this it just seems futile to use anything else. I've caught hundreds of six pound and under fish and anytime I've encountered something bigger it ignores any lure I toss its way. At this point in my life after catching all those other fish and blowing my paychecks on overpriced lures and top of the line rods and reels, I'm just seeing it all as pointless waste of money, especially when the entire point to the sport is size of the fish in the photos. Nobody cares what you caught it on unless its a world record and you are looking for endorsement deals. I just can't see any other alternative than to become a nasty, stinky live bait fisherman that dominates in the size per fish department.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Found out that we are all wasting money...

Post by slipperybob » Tue May 26, 2015 2:53 pm

LOL there's no doubt that live bait catches huge fish. I only wish that there was no such thing as AIS. I could then catch my bait and go fishing. Pending I catch legal bait and not another game fish.

Hence it's either buy bait for now or artificial. Well my short trips just don't warrant those live bait so its the artificial lures that's gets tied on.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue May 26, 2015 5:16 pm

In my neck of the woods as with many others, live bait is against the regs. I think it's pretty obvious the real thing will generally out produce a fake every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Especially regarding big fish. That's why they put the rule in affect. I'd rather have a woman than my hand. I know an idiot who would fish for soon to be released trout inside the net pens, then use those trout for bait for big walleye at night. It was all good till he got popped and lost literally everything.

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Tue May 26, 2015 9:54 pm

I am hoping this was tongue in cheek, but if not...
Did you really think we used artificials because they work better? Anyone can drag live bait around. And catch good fish to boot. That's where most of us started!
Making the change to artificials was for most, a sporting decision. The challenge of learning the technique, employing it, and catching a fish was the point. Anyone can fish a shiner below a bobber, not everyone can flip and pitch those same fish on to the deck.

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by JerryC » Tue May 26, 2015 10:12 pm

Using live bait takes away the reason why I fish... Anyone can throw a live minnow and sit back...

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Wed May 27, 2015 1:08 am

In most states you can use live bait, but can't use game fish. Bream are classified as a game fish.

Montanaro
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Montanaro » Wed May 27, 2015 1:33 am

There are expensive bluegill swimbaits out there.

As for live bait, you can't use them in every situation.

MondayMonkey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by MondayMonkey » Wed May 27, 2015 1:41 am

Live bait is illegal in my state except for non-gamefish in the ocean. Of course when you're bottom fishing and hook a small to medium sized rockfish nothing says you have to reel up quickly. Big lings love hooked prey lol. A few years back my buddy was reeling up a small but legal ling 24". Right at the boat a 36" ling swallowed the little guy he got 2 legal fish for the price of one.

MondayMonkey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by MondayMonkey » Wed May 27, 2015 1:49 am

I was also at Walmart once picking up my controlled hunt tags there was a guy there buying his fishing license and goldfish. He was telling me and the clerk how they make great bait..... Highly Highly illegal here you'll lose your license for years if caught doing this and he was proud of it bragging in public.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed May 27, 2015 2:11 am

MondayMonkey wrote:I was also at Walmart once picking up my controlled hunt tags there was a guy there buying his fishing license and goldfish. He was telling me and the clerk how they make great bait..... Highly Highly illegal here you'll lose your license for years if caught doing this and he was proud of it bragging in public.
](*,) Wal Mart

GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GOOD YEAR 71 » Wed May 27, 2015 2:51 am

JerryC wrote:Using live bait takes away the reason why I fish... Anyone can throw a live minnow and sit back...
I feel the same. I'd wager 70% + of anglers I encounter are using live bait. It's hard watching them catch a lunker, when they weren't even targeting it, only to brag about how they caught it on a $29.99 closeout special. :evil:

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Wed May 27, 2015 3:01 am

I mean, I am still baffled, this can't be real, can it joeyblackwood?
I feel like we are being trolled? Or it's just really poorly executed internet sarcasm?
Did you really, as a regular member of TT just have a revelation that all of your expensive gear is a waste because you can catch fish easier on live bait? :-k

joeyblackwood
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joeyblackwood » Wed May 27, 2015 5:48 am

BucketHunter wrote:I mean, I am still baffled, this can't be real, can it joeyblackwood?
I feel like we are being trolled? Or it's just really poorly executed internet sarcasm?
Did you really, as a regular member of TT just have a revelation that all of your expensive gear is a waste because you can catch fish easier on live bait? :-k
Everyone has a tipping point that brings them back to reality and how their actions are futile to reach their goal.

joeyblackwood
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joeyblackwood » Wed May 27, 2015 5:49 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:In my neck of the woods as with many others, live bait is against the regs. I think it's pretty obvious the real thing will generally out produce a fake every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Especially regarding big fish. That's why they put the rule in affect. I'd rather have a woman than my hand. I know an idiot who would fish for soon to be released trout inside the net pens, then use those trout for bait for big walleye at night. It was all good till he got popped and lost literally everything.
Bream/ Bluegill isn't illegal to use as bait in the specific body of water where I caught this big girl. Confirmed this with a Department of Ducks and Bunnies Officer soon after the catch.

joeyblackwood
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joeyblackwood » Wed May 27, 2015 5:51 am

JerryC wrote:Using live bait takes away the reason why I fish... Anyone can throw a live minnow and sit back...
I used to think that exact same as you, but after catching this huge mama, my thoughts and feelings have changed. I'm guessing if you catch a PB in this way you'll change your tone too.