Getting out of fishing.

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
bradjames12
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Getting out of fishing.

Post by bradjames12 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:01 pm

Me personally... Wife and I had our first child in late December and I don't have the time to fish much anymore (never have owned a boat, so doesn't hurt as bad as others with boats)

Like others, I have accumulated way to much stuff, and I have been selling off all my NIB stuff and now am working through my stuff that is practically new out of box that I never really throw. Fishing out of the back of a boat (when able to bum a ride) and fishing from the bank, I fish 3-5 techniques, pretty particular on brands and have no use for the other stuff I have bought over the years.

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:03 am

bradjames12 wrote:Me personally... Wife and I had our first child in late December and I don't have the time to fish much anymore (never have owned a boat, so doesn't hurt as bad as others with boats)

Congrats on the baby, mine will be 2 in October and the time has flown.

I'm just now getting the time to get back out on the water. I used to have a boat and truck when I lived in michigan but before the cross country move i had to let it all go. Now i'm a much smaller setup, just kayak fishing taking out one or two rods at a time. I may not be able to cover as much water as i used to but it's just as enjoyable to me as the big boat. I can now fish smaller bodies of water where the larger stuff cant.

Ill never give up fishing, i've done it my whole life, ill just taylor it to suit my budget and my time constraints.

Nytron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Nytron » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:17 pm

legendaryyaj wrote:
bassninja wrote:So I guess only boat owners can "claim" to love fishing or can buy high end gear? I'm not getting that statement at all. Fishing is fishing, regardless of the gear you use. High end gear just makes it more enjoyable, no matter from shore or from boat.
Fishing from a boat is FAR more enjoyable than from shore with not so high end gear. That is my own opinion so to each their own.

You can have your cliche saying, but its not entirely true. Not saying I live the life of a pro, but I lived the small tournament life and it's just as much as work. Sitting in the office making money is good for me at times. In the end, its not that I don't enjoy it, it's that I'm not rich enough to enjoy it to how I want. Fishing isn't just your definition nor mine. I think we can agree that hobbies can sometimes get out of hand. Good for you if it doesn't.
What about fishing from shore WITH high end gear? I just got back from a 30 minute outing near my house crushing pads from shore with a Calais with Sunline and a JDM frog. Yes, I could have launched the boat. But if you can cast far enough, why? My personal best largemouth came from shore this year.
I hope you guys aren't bank fishermen with your nice gear. Wouldn't make any sense to me as to why you would want to spend money on gear like that to bank fish and claim to love fishing. A boat opens up a whole new world like fishing with nice gear does. Nothing like flying down the lake early morning wind in your face. Things add up and priorities come into play. Fishing really exhaust time and money more so than anything I can imagine.
Not everyone is a semi-pro angler. The other 99% of us anglers do not care about buzzing around the lake at 80mph trying to get a paycheck. I have never caught a bass going 65 miles an hour. Your boat is an optional accessory to the sport of fishing.