Shipping rods

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Shipping rods

Post by BigG » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:19 am

Is it generally cheaper shipping rods insured by UPS or Fed X in 48 States.

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Shipping rods

Post by Finnz922 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:37 am

I find UPS to be more expensive than USPS. I have heard that FedEx is cheaper hopefully someone else will chime in.

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:23 am

My shipping preference is UPS. However, cost is pretty low on my priority list. Getting a $500 custom rod to its destination safely, with accurate tracking, and the peace of mind that any claim I may have to deal with will actually wind up in my favor, are much more important to me.

USPS is what I have found to be the cheapest. But, they also fall very short on some of the other criteria I value.

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:29 pm

Mattman wrote:My shipping preference is UPS. However, cost is pretty low on my priority list. Getting a $500 custom rod to its destination safely, with accurate tracking, and the peace of mind that any claim I may have to deal with will actually wind up in my favor, are much more important to me.

USPS is what I have found to be the cheapest. But, they also fall very short on some of the other criteria I value.

Matt, on the insurance side of things, how are each company to deal with?

I had heard that the USPS lets you insure items up to obscenely high dollar amounts, but if the item is lost or damaged, you have to provide proof of the items value through receipts or other means to get reimbursed. I have verified this at our local PO when talking to a clerk. As a builder how does this impact your labor cost in their determination of value?

I have also heard that UPS will fight damage to items claims citing improper packaging. Basically saying it broke because you didn't pack it properly.

Have not heard a thing about FedEx dealing (which I assume is a good thing).

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:19 am

I use Fedex when shipping rods. The rods have always arrived in one piece which is the most important thing. Shipping runs anywhere from $20 to $30 Fedex ground including insurance and tracking for tubes under 7'9". For anything else, it's USPS Priority mail.

making waves
Angler
Angler

Post by making waves » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:27 am

Mattman wrote:My shipping preference is UPS. However, cost is pretty low on my priority list. Getting a $500 custom rod to its destination safely, with accurate tracking, and the peace of mind that any claim I may have to deal with will actually wind up in my favor, are much more important to me.

I agree 100%. FedEx and UPS are much better with claims should you need to file one. I have been shipping rods for about 10 years and have had very few claims for damaged rods. I can only remember 2 or 3 so I don't have that much experience with filing claims for damaged rods, but have filed a fair number for other damaged or lost merchandise.
I ship all the rods that I ship in a PVC tube wrapped in bubble wrap. I do have some drop shipped from the manufacture and some of them are in PVC tube and some in cardboard tubes. I can tell you more frequent damage comes with the cardboard tubes.
Ron

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:07 pm

USA-RET wrote:
Matt, on the insurance side of things, how are each company to deal with?
Luckily, I've never had to go to FedEx or USPS to file a claim. I have been on the receiving end of things for each of those and it was terrible.

I've had to file 3 claims with UPS in the 300+ shipments I've made. All combined have been less painful than any of the USPS or FedEx claims.

USA-RET wrote:

I had heard that the USPS lets you insure items up to obscenely high dollar amounts, but if the item is lost or damaged, you have to provide proof of the items value through receipts or other means to get reimbursed. I have verified this at our local PO when talking to a clerk. As a builder how does this impact your labor cost in their determination of value?
You can plug in your insured value for what ever you'd like with any of them. And when you file a claim, you need to provide documentation. (shipping costs do not count) I frequently insure for a nice round number that is over the value of the rod. And, on the 3 claims I've made, I've always had to provide an invoice with the actual value. And I get a check cut for the invoice amount.

USA-RET wrote:

our local PO when talking to a clerk.
This is my biggest issue with USPS. I can never get the same story twice. I've had USPS refuse to take a tube because its too long even when it was a tube full of USPS stickers because the client sent me the rod for repair via USPS! I can't deal with the ineptitude. And tracking just doesn't work most of the time. And...when its been my inbound shipment damaged...getting reimbursement was a nightmare. I just can't work like that.

USA-RET wrote:

I have also heard that UPS will fight damage to items claims citing improper packaging. Basically saying it broke because you didn't pack it properly.
In 1 of my 3 claims the damage was concealed damage (had to open the tube to see it). I assume its standard practice to deny the claim. My claim was denied due to insufficient packaging. I pushed back and provided photos of how I package my rods. Along with the stats that I ship 35 to 50 rods annually packaged just like that and my claim rate is negligible averaging 1 every 3 years. I had a check in a week. My other 2 claims the tube was damaged upon arrival and noted as such by the driver. There was no argument at all and the check was cut without incident.

buster 2900
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by buster 2900 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:15 am

I’ve only sent one rod back, and it was a warranty claim. The rod snapped during a cast while I was using it within the recommended spec—both line and lure. I sent it UPS from a local mail center, and they supplied the shipping tube. I insured the rod for $400, and the total cost of shipping (from Texas to g loomis) was around $40. Ouch. I also had to send $20 to g loomis for the return shipment.

It didn’t seem quite fair that I had to pay all the shipping costs on a valid warranty claim. But g loomis did honor the warranty, and I received a new replacement rod. I had no issues with UPS though.

Jeremy S
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Jeremy S » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:35 am

I've always used UPS because USPS says that rod tubes are too long to ship.

I've recently had issues with the quality of USPS shipping anyway, I shipped a set of 4 items to a guy that were a matched set. insured for only 200 dollars because that's replacement cost. They managed to destroy the box, lose one of the three, and deliver the other three in a crushed box covered in tape.

When I tried to make a claim on it, they wanted an invoice to prove value. Well since it'd been over 2 years since I purchased the items new I no longer had a receipt for them so eventually I gave up and just refunded the buyers money. It was more than a bit aggravating as I couldn't have something made to replace the one item as they were matched.

Last week I received a T3 from someone and the box had been punctured all the way through the shipping box and into the Daiwa box. Luckily it didn't damage the reel now that I know how impossible it is to get anything out of USPS (and now they same people who handle USPS insurance handle health insurance, yay us) so I will just be using UPS or FedEx from now on.

the hooligan
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by the hooligan » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:19 pm

Also agree that usps priority is typically the cheapest. I use fedex sometimes if its the weekend and i have to get a rod shipped out. Usually $22 priority, $24 with fedex ground.

f15h1n6
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by f15h1n6 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:29 am

I ship with usps for shorter rods under 7' or rods over 7' but in two piece. I've shipped 1pc rods over 7' with FedEx no issues

G3Steve
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by G3Steve » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:11 pm

I've used UPS for shipping rods. Cost is reasonable at around $21 for 7'-7'3" rods (about 7'6" tubes).

making waves
Angler
Angler

Post by making waves » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:05 am

If it's a 6 foot or longer one piece rod I don't find USPS to be any cheaper, in fact many times more expensive. As mentioned USPS falls short on tracking and service. I usually use FedEx and ship most of my rods in a PCV tube with the rod wrapped in bubble wrap and tied to the butt end of the tube to keep the tip from hitting the other end. In 10 years of shipping rods had very few damaged.
Ron

bassbandit
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassbandit » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:38 am

USA-RET wrote: I have also heard that UPS will fight damage to items claims citing improper packaging. Basically saying it broke because you didn't pack it properly.
UPS once fought me on a claim that a rod I had shipped was broken due to improper packaging. The rod was entirely wrapped in bubble wrap with crushed paper around it to cushion and packed into 3 inch PVC. The rod was left at its destination in a tube that was broken in half, with only half a rod, and all packaging material missing. My claim was denied due to improper packaging. ](*,) To make matters worse, the buyer was home when the rod was delivered, the cowardly driver left it next to the garage instead of knocking on the door. :evil: Eventually, because the owner of the store argued on my behalf, I was able to get a refund but it took several weeks.

Earlier this week, when shipping via UPS, they tried to get me to pay $17 to put the rods I was shipping into a customized box. When I argued the 3' PVC was far stronger than the half-a$$ed "custom" box they wanted to sell me. The cashier couldn't deny that the PVC was stronger but said they might chose to deny my claim if the rods showed up damaged because I chose to pack the rods myself. When I told her the only way the rods or tubes could be damaged would be if UPS staff mishandled or abused them, she stopped trying to upsell and became quiet. If I had a choice, I wouldn't ship UPS (at least locally).

Charger 596
Angler
Angler

Post by Charger 596 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:25 am

USPS is getting tougher and more expensive. I still use them some, but FedEx is getting 50% of mine. Used to be single percents.

Fed Ex is safest bet...