Barramundi - Can It Be Eaten???

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Barramundi - Can It Be Eaten???

Post by Mcyl » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:42 pm

takrat 67 wrote:Mate, you are a bloody thrillseeker. One thing's for sure you are not gonna pull the hooks!
JD =D>
I crimp the barbs on hooks so when inevitable bricking happens, the fish can shake the lure off. I use a decoy single jigging hook.
And yes besides shunning gambling and drugs I do like the risky side of life. I started fishing to settle down but guess it didn't help!

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:54 am

Ghost wrote:I was at a Coco's restaurant earlier today and on the menu as a new item is Barramundi. It said that it's high in Omega 3, etc, etc...and cost for the meal was $12.99.

Now I know that Aussies fish them but not heard of Barramundi being eaten for human consumption.

Can someone enlighten me?
I have had them in the States, and they are delicious. Taste varies depending on how/where they are raised. Check this out: http://www.thebetterfish.com/sustainability
There is a move in the US to have Barramundi rather than Tilapia, be sold more as a healthier, tastier, farmed alternative.

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:31 am

Tilapia is a noxious fish here in Australia. We're losing the battle to eradicate them.

takrat 67
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by takrat 67 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:22 pm

Mcyl wrote:Tilapia is a noxious fish here in Australia. We're losing the battle to eradicate them.
That's right, it seems to be mostly in Queensland, and the Fisheries Dept won't even allow them to be taken as food. Just catch as many as you can and put 'em in the bin. =D>