Should there be a recall for ICAST Best Soft Lure Winner?

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
joeyblackwood
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Should there be a recall for ICAST Best Soft Lure Winner?

Post by joeyblackwood » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:19 am

I bought into the hype and got the Lunkerhunt frog, while I will say it catches fish, the same can be said of any topwater frog on the market today. My issue with this frog is the durability and its propensity for getting hung up on structure. I used this frog exclusively for three weeks and spent most of my time trying to unhinge it from logs, trees, or thick weeds. Granted, I never missed a fish on this frog, whereas the spro bronze-eye, I've lost count on how many I've missed. After three weeks the four Lunkerhunt frogs I purchased are now gone with only one fish caught on each, as they all got hung up on logs or some other structure and forced me to cut my 65lb. braid, which cost me MORE money!

If you go on tacklewarehouse you can see the reviews of people complaining in detail about the durability issues and water issues. I dealt with these myself and spent the better part of an hour trying to reattach the legs to one of them. Time I could have spent fishing.

So I say we all vote for a recall as there is NO WAY this frog should be Best Soft Lure. Who's with me?

Once we recall it, what would YOU like to see win? What's your most productive "New" soft lure?

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Should there be a recall for ICAST Best Soft Lure Winner

Post by uljersey » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:56 am

joeyblackwood wrote:I bought into the hype
That says it all. Suck it up. ICAST is a trade show by and for those in the business of selling tackle. Fish don't give a rat's azz about best in show or anything like that. Hype never put a fish in a boat. Ever.

I'm not picking at you. Go in in the basement or garage and start tinkering with what you already have. Modify it, tweak it, be a mad scientist with it. There is no such thing as a stupid idea. That's the fun part, and how great ideas and baits are born. Start with your disappointing frog and figure out ways to make it work. Then you could end up with your own booth at ICAST 8-)

ClearCreek
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ClearCreek » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:01 pm

joeyblackwood wrote:I bought into the hype and got the Lunkerhunt frog, while I will say it catches fish, the same can be said of any topwater frog on the market today. My issue with this frog is the durability and its propensity for getting hung up on structure. I used this frog exclusively for three weeks and spent most of my time trying to unhinge it from logs, trees, or thick weeds. Granted, I never missed a fish on this frog, whereas the spro bronze-eye, I've lost count on how many I've missed. After three weeks the four Lunkerhunt frogs I purchased are now gone with only one fish caught on each, as they all got hung up on logs or some other structure and forced me to cut my 65lb. braid, which cost me MORE money!

If you go on tacklewarehouse you can see the reviews of people complaining in detail about the durability issues and water issues. I dealt with these myself and spent the better part of an hour trying to reattach the legs to one of them. Time I could have spent fishing.

So I say we all vote for a recall as there is NO WAY this frog should be Best Soft Lure. Who's with me?

Once we recall it, what would YOU like to see win? What's your most productive "New" soft lure?
Most lures made to catch fishermen and not fish - you proved that!!

ClearCreek

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:50 pm

The best soft lure award at ICast is for the nicest looking soft lure sitting on their pretty display. They don't hand out 500 of them for people to go fish beforehand, it's solely based on the look and feel test. They look and feel pretty B.A., but that doesn't mean they'll fish worth a darn. The old Koppers Mouse was pretty cool looking as well, until it fell apart. That's why I typically wait for a few reviews to come out before buying any new lures.

BASSLAYER
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BASSLAYER » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:50 am

tywithay wrote:That's why I typically wait for a few reviews to come out before buying any new lures.
X2

Especially with rods and reels!

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:16 am

Should there be an ICAST Best Anything weiner? :P

kadas1
Angler
Angler

Post by kadas1 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:13 am

BASSLAYER wrote:
tywithay wrote:That's why I typically wait for a few reviews to come out before buying any new lures.
X2

Especially with rods and reels!
same with me--like to see some feedback on new lures and equipment before i plunk down my money

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:35 am

LOL.. good example is the Gen 3 abu garcias and the G series shimanos.. Those reels got (and still do get) so much hate from people who jumped on em right after icast.

ctgalloway21
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ctgalloway21 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:49 am

I must be in the minority that loves Gen3 Abus. I actually like the Gen3 better than Gen2. Casts better and much smoother.

tomustang
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by tomustang » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:05 am

It's icast's award not mine, don't really care who they choose to win based on touchy feely points.