digital fish scales

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
wcbjr1
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

digital fish scales

Post by wcbjr1 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:51 pm

What is the best scale to have in your boat ?

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: digital fish scales

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:30 am

wcbjr1 wrote:What is the best scale to have in your boat ?
I haven't heard of many surviving more than a season or two. Just buy whatever is on sale.

A better tool with a built-in scale that will last a long time is a Boga Grip

http://www.basspro.com/Boga-Grip-Fishin ... uct/20679/

DaveJ

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:36 am

An affordable, accurate and durable option is the brass spring scale under the Cabela's name. Sometimes clearanced at under $10

Zimbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Zimbass » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:26 pm

I have a Cul-M-Rite that I bought some 20 years ago. Still working as good as new, as I take care of it. Keep some sachets of Dry Gel in the box which keeps moisture away.

Expensive, but worth every dollar IMO.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:06 am

Zimbass wrote:I have a Cul-M-Rite that I bought some 20 years ago. Still working as good as new, as I take care of it. Keep some sachets of Dry Gel in the box which keeps moisture away.

Expensive, but worth every dollar IMO.
Good idea with the dry gel. I have a bunch of extra silica packets I just found a use for... Hopefully that will keep the electronics in order longer.

DaveJ

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:58 am

X2 on the Boga Grip. Best most reliable scale ever. Little expensive but you get what you pay for. I use one in saltwater all the time and it gets dunked constantly and never a problem. Can get it IGFA certified to if chasing records is your thing.

tH3_Guy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tH3_Guy » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:12 am

I use the scale on my boga grip too, however the digital ones can make your fish seem bigger, thats the plus side to having inaccurate scales. Hahahahah!

Toadslayer72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Toadslayer72 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:44 pm

Well I used spring scales for years and I decided to get a digi. I was looking at some high end scales but took a shot at the 50 lb. Rapala scale (I think it was around $30). I figured it was going to be out one way or another (because of so many user reviews of various brands) and that I would just use my postal scale to compare weights, my postal is dead nuts on with the scale at my local post office. Much to my surprise, the Rapala scale is dead nuts on with my postal scale :D

About once a month I test both of my scales weighing 5 lb. and 10 lb. weights. These are the same weights I had weighed at the post office. Since the start of the season, they have both maintained their accuracy. I don't know how accurate the post office scales are but that's who I'm rolling with as of now :lol:

One side note about the Bogas. Mind you I've never had one but my buddy does and the only complaint he has is that the increments are like 1/4 lb. or something like that. He's considering a digi because he wants exact numbers.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:03 pm

Toadslayer72 wrote:Well I used spring scales for years and I decided to get a digi. I was looking at some high end scales but took a shot at the 50 lb. Rapala scale (I think it was around $30). I figured it was going to be out one way or another (because of so many user reviews of various brands) and that I would just use my postal scale to compare weights, my postal is dead nuts on with the scale at my local post office. Much to my surprise, the Rapala scale is dead nuts on with my postal scale :D

About once a month I test both of my scales weighing 5 lb. and 10 lb. weights. These are the same weights I had weighed at the post office. Since the start of the season, they have both maintained their accuracy. I don't know how accurate the post office scales are but that's who I'm rolling with as of now :lol:

One side note about the Bogas. Mind you I've never had one but my buddy does and the only complaint he has is that the increments are like 1/4 lb. or something like that. He's considering a digi because he wants exact numbers.
Somebody makes a Boga knockoff with a digital scale built-in. Might be worth checking out. Cheaper too I think.

DaveJ

Toadslayer72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Toadslayer72 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:53 pm

IlliniDawg01 wrote:
Toadslayer72 wrote:Well I used spring scales for years and I decided to get a digi. I was looking at some high end scales but took a shot at the 50 lb. Rapala scale (I think it was around $30). I figured it was going to be out one way or another (because of so many user reviews of various brands) and that I would just use my postal scale to compare weights, my postal is dead nuts on with the scale at my local post office. Much to my surprise, the Rapala scale is dead nuts on with my postal scale :D

Somebody makes a Boga knockoff with a digital scale built-in. Might be worth checking out. Cheaper too I think.

DaveJ
I'll let my friend know. I was talking to him this morning and I asked what the increments are on his Boga, turns out they are 1/2 lb. :shock: I told him he's gonna be pissed if he sticks a new PB and can't get the exact weight.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:30 am

Berkley Big Game Digital Lip Grip

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Berkley_ ... GLGDS.html

Mixed reviews on the accuracy of the digital scale. The grip part must be pretty good though. Only saw one negative review on it I think.

There is also one for cheaper yet on that auction site made in China.

DaveJ

barbykerry
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by barbykerry » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:19 pm

The best weight scale on my boat is the etekcity scale

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:13 am

I think the best option is a chatillon 10 lb fishing scale. It is a super accurate spring scale like the Boga but with smaller increments. I put a fish grip on mine to make it easier to use. They are expensive new but you can get an older one from an auction site for cheap that works just as good.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:23 am

Toadslayer72 wrote:
IlliniDawg01 wrote:

DaveJ
I'll let my friend know. I was talking to him this morning and I asked what the increments are on his Boga, turns out they are 1/2 lb. :shock: I told him he's gonna be pissed if he sticks a new PB and can't get the exact weight.
1/2lb means he has the 30lb model. The 15lb model weighs 1/4lb increments. It's pretty easy to eyeball the weight. We use the Boga for tourney culls and total weights and, for example had 23lbs written down on our last tourney and the total weight was 23.1lbs. 5 fish, only 1oz off. Good enough for weighing world records but not good enough for PB weights? If you arent beating it by at least an 1/8 of a lb(which you can clearly see) then what does it matter?

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:41 am

IlliniDawg01 wrote:Berkley Big Game Digital Lip Grip

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Berkley_ ... GLGDS.html

Mixed reviews on the accuracy of the digital scale. The grip part must be pretty good though. Only saw one negative review on it I think.

There is also one for cheaper yet on that auction site made in China.

DaveJ
I bought a bunch of these for myself and family members and am not a big fan. The digital scale doesn't turn on half the time and has now shorted out completely from getting wet. The grippers also don't seem to hold well, at least not on large pike. Probably fine for bass. I'm going to get a boga instead I think.

DaveJ