Offset Work Hooks With Longer Shanks ?

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
Robert11
Angler
Angler

Offset Work Hooks With Longer Shanks ?

Post by Robert11 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:48 am

Hi,

Do mainly Pond fishing; small crappie's, etc.

Use those Offset Worm style hooks on various sorts of plastics.

Would like to find these hooks with an extra-long shank so that I can get the hook point further back in the plastic.

Think I'm missing a lot of hook ups due to the point being too far forward.

Does anyone offer hooks like this with a longer shank ?

Or, to get one, you just have to go to a larger size hook, which I really don't want to do.

Looked, but couldn't find any source for.
Are there ?

If so where, and what is the hook style called; Aberdeen's, or...?

Thanks,
Bob

Bladerunner808
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Offset Work Hooks With Longer Shanks ?

Post by Bladerunner808 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:04 pm

I'm with you on this one. I'm fine with all the great tackle out there - as I only fish for bass - but I do find shanks in general to be too short. I buy bigger hooks than I need ALL the time just to open up that gap. I use more 5/0s than I probably need to. Some manufacturers DO vary somewhat. What is you favorite style? and typical size? If you use offset worm hooks it will be tough. Those tend to have the smallest gaps, and the bend grows with size - so even if you get the gap you want - the fish (smallmouths in particular) can't get the WIDTH of the hook in their mouth. I can give you some recomendations - but be specific.

Robert11
Angler
Angler

From OP For BladrunnerRe: Offset Work Hooks With Longer Shan

Post by Robert11 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:25 am

Hi,

Thanks for help; appreciate it.

Am retired now, and enjoy fishing a lot, but frankly, still consider myself a novice at it.

Anyway, live outside of Boston, and do most of my fishing in a nearby Pond.
Have loads of Crappies in it, and some Smallmouth and Largemouth too.

Have an UL spinning rig.

Use plastics a lot, Crawdad and worm imitations mainly.
Some Tube Styles also.

Probably a 1/0 is about the biggest.

I like the Offset Work style hook, as they seem to hold onto the plastics pretty well.

My "problem" is that I always feel that that the hook point ends up too far forward.
I would like to find these offset hooks with a longer shank, so I could have the point more to the rear.

Like I mentioned, i think i miss a lot of hook-ups due to the point not being far enough in the rear.

Don't want to go to a bigger hook size just to get a longer shank.

Suggestions ?

Thanks,
Bob

Bladerunner808
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: From OP For BladrunnerRe: Offset Work Hooks With Longer

Post by Bladerunner808 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:52 pm

Robert11 wrote:Hi,

Thanks for help; appreciate it.

Am retired now, and enjoy fishing a lot, but frankly, still consider myself a novice at it.

Anyway, live outside of Boston, and do most of my fishing in a nearby Pond.
Have loads of Crappies in it, and some Smallmouth and Largemouth too.

Have an UL spinning rig.

Use plastics a lot, Crawdad and worm imitations mainly.
Some Tube Styles also.

Probably a 1/0 is about the biggest.

I like the Offset Work style hook, as they seem to hold onto the plastics pretty well.

My "problem" is that I always feel that that the hook point ends up too far forward.
I would like to find these offset hooks with a longer shank, so I could have the point more to the rear.

Like I mentioned, i think i miss a lot of hook-ups due to the point not being far enough in the rear.

Don't want to go to a bigger hook size just to get a longer shank.

Suggestions ?

Thanks,
Bob
Use smaller more compact lures to start with. I've found worms longer than 5" only have a good hook-up ratio when bass are feeding aggresively and inhaling lures. Unfortunately that is not standard bass fishing for me. A smaller profile means less fish biting the back 1/3 of your bait. If you are using finesse worms. Say a thin 4-5" zoom type worm - Try a 4/0 Lazer Trokar Finesse worm hook. I find straight shank finesse hooks have a way better catch ratio over same sized EWG inline hooks. I know they are pricey - but you will get LONG life from one of these hooks. As for line - GET rid of your old mono - try a co-poly like P-Line Fluoroclear in 8 pounds (spinning reel right?). Or try a fluoro that's limp.Don't go too thin on line becuse your rod probably has a lot of flex built in. (6-8 pounds is perfect) If the water is murky you can get away with a really thin superline like Berkley Nanofil in 6lb.

If you are using light jigs try the VMC half-moon jigheads in 1/8 weights. Nice long shanks.

Wacky worms will catch tons of fish and small hooks are nice for this. Try a 2/0 Mustad Demon Perfect Circle (NO HOOK-SETS with circle hooks... just let the fish swim off with it a give a LONG slow PULL from 12:00 to 8:00 to hook-up).

Any other hooks/tech. that will help your ratio are more suited to baitcasters - which it sounds like you don't favor yet. So start with these. Stay away from long-ish plastics for the time being.

If you want to catch everything in that pond - start with a 4" watermelon red-flake YUM Dinger wacky-rigged on a 2/0 Mustad Demon Circle In-Line Hook. I've had 40+ days with this on Smallmouth waters...

Robert11
Angler
Angler

From OP For Bladerunne Re: Offset Work With Longer Shanks ?

Post by Robert11 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:29 am

Hi,

Much thanks for the detailed info.

Will give your suggestions a try, most definitely.

Sure is lots to learn. I've been trying Wacky Worm rigs for the first time this year.
So far, a bit of a disappointment. Can always catch "stuff", invariably though, on a Mepps Spinner.

Will try your suggestions.

Thanks again; much appreciated,
Bob

Bladerunner808
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Offset Work Hooks With Longer Shanks ?

Post by Bladerunner808 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:14 pm

Try the 4" Dingers. Cast them ANYWHERE you think fish are holding. 8" of water to 8 ft. Let it sink down. When you know its on the bottom, lift it back up to near the surface and let it fall back down again. Repeat. You WILL outfish that Mepps 20 to 1.