What lures do you wish weekend warriors never used?

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: What lures do you wish weekend warriors never used?

Post by uljersey » Sat May 11, 2013 7:42 am

You guys give a lot of credit to a creature that has the analytical abilities of a marshmallow :roll: :lol:

So, you think the fish ought to take into consideration the fact that you are a more advanced angler than the slob throwing a Senko 30 yards down the bank ? Cut me a break. Fish don't give a hoot whether or not your spinnerbait has a cheap barrel swivel or one with a German made bearing built to NASA specifications. Maybe the cheapo barrel swivel emits a squeak that really dials the fish in, we'll never know.

Consider that many state records for multiple species are decades old, predating Senkos and Roboworms. It's fishing gentlemen, don't over think it. Just because you spent more money on your gear doesn't automatically entitle you to better or more fish.

Besides, most people that don't know better are fishing bluebird sky days and give up the sport eventually altogether.

Now, slobs that litter or have zero etiquette on the water are a different story. Open season on those bastards ...

vinnieb729
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by vinnieb729 » Sat May 11, 2013 8:12 am

uljersey wrote:Besides, most people that don't know better are fishing bluebird sky days and give up the sport eventually altogether.
That's why they should have the Super Ultra Mega imported set up! Blue bird skies would turn cloudy and weep rain if Joe Blow were to whip out a wicked samurai stick! \:D/

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon May 13, 2013 6:08 am

Any lure that ends up snapping on light line and leaving a mess....generally all plastics.

biggs
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by biggs » Mon May 13, 2013 11:23 pm

dragon1 wrote:Any lure that ends up snapping on light line and leaving a mess....generally all plastics.
x2. There are some urban spots around here are pretty messy with broken off jigheads etc........

I wonder if squarebills are getting played out in my neck of the woods too but probably not as bad as other places.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Tue May 14, 2013 4:20 am

[quote="uljersey"]You guys give a lot of credit to a creature that has the analytical abilities of a marshmallow :roll: :lol:

You talking about the fish or me. :lol:

triple_illusion
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by triple_illusion » Tue May 14, 2013 9:21 am

all of them.

Bladerunner808
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bladerunner808 » Tue May 14, 2013 10:14 pm

JerryC wrote:I would agree with the Senko as being #1. Although I only will throw a senko when times are really tough, I've been using something similar and it has been working just as good if not better around the lakes where I fish. Obviously if a fish sees the same lure again and again the likelyhood of the fish eating it is slim to non almost.
Hmmmmmmmmmm........ very purposefully vauge. We are not getting any hints?

Bladerunner808
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bladerunner808 » Tue May 14, 2013 10:17 pm

dragon1 wrote:Any lure that ends up snapping on light line and leaving a mess....generally all plastics.
So true - lots of coily 6lb. line wrapped around everything with HUGE lures attached.

Sonicx360
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Sonicx360 » Sun May 19, 2013 12:41 am

I'm afraid that Vision 110 might be used more by "inexperienced" weekend anglers due to the recent price cut by Megabass.

For those who want to know why, here's my theory:
More demand for Vision 110 -> lure becomes mass-produced -> Vision 110 will be made in China -> quality degraded in the lure -> effectiveness degraded

This chain reaction goes to other MB baits as well.

tH3_Guy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tH3_Guy » Thu May 23, 2013 11:25 am

Did you guys all start out fishing full time?

If they took away lures options for you, when you were weekend warriors, you probably still be a weekend warrior.
Fishing might not have been as fun. You might not even be here posting in the forums or fishing.

So I say let them be, if you good you adapt or die trying.

;)

triple_illusion
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by triple_illusion » Thu May 23, 2013 12:05 pm

uljersey wrote:You guys give a lot of credit to a creature that has the analytical abilities of a marshmallow :roll:
:lol: :lol:

but then again never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups... :lol:

Bladerunner808
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bladerunner808 » Thu May 23, 2013 10:55 pm

tH3_Guy wrote:Did you guys all start out fishing full time?

If they took away lures options for you, when you were weekend warriors, you probably still be a weekend warrior.
Fishing might not have been as fun. You might not even be here posting in the forums or fishing.

So I say let them be, if you good you adapt or die trying.

;)
So TRUE. The PURPOSE of this post was not to bash anglers of any ilk. It was for us sick in the head junkies to cry about our favorite lures that we hate to see get overused. If a few weekend warriors get bashed while we have fun with this it's ok...

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri May 24, 2013 2:56 am

It is not the lure, nor the equipment, but the gall, tenacity and willingness and ability to learn...that makes a successful outdoorsman.

I see more newbies today overloaded with gear and lures, that still don't understand the basic fundamentals of fishing. Additionally, what most "weekend warriors" lack is cunning and the ability to be creative.

I was catching cruising bass in my pre-teen years on locust wings (most ungraciously removed from their live owners), tied with sewing thread onto simple Eagle Claw bait hooks...tossed out "flyfishing style" on a cheapie no name rod, Zebco 6010 and 10lb Trilene XL. I caught as many as other "weekend warriors" with more gear and lures even then as I understood that the number 1 rule is locating fish.

I started out catching my first few 3lb + bass in Colorado on a few lures. Mann's Jelly Worms, Mepps Comet and Floating Rapalas. I had quite a few more lures in my "donated" tackle box, from spoons, to cranks, to Hula Popper/Jitterbugs, and many other "bug type" plastics...but I only concentrated on a few, and these few were what produced when I forced myself to LEARN how to use them effectively.

Nevertheless, it is the presentation of what one has in hand, not just how many lures one has at hand, that makes for the eventual success of the catch. I have proven this time and again over the years, and even earlier this week - while fishing nearly identical deep water slow-roller spinnerbaits with a buddy...with like length and power rods...the difference was angle of cast to 7-10 feet of mid-depth water structure, speed of retrieve, and the patience to let the lure drop back down to fish-holding depth during retrieve and starting up again.

IMO, the biggest shortcoming of today's "weekend warrior" is their trying too hard to copy "TV Pros", buying in too much into advertised gear/lures/marketing BS...and not enough time spent finding out what it takes to "hunt" down the quarry they are after with basic fundamentals with just a few lures in hand.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Fri May 24, 2013 5:42 am

Seriously, just for fun ... go get a bag of 3" white grubs and some 1/8 oz jig heads. Get that spinning rod out and go catch some fish. You might even have fun, and if you decorate a few trees with them, you're only out a few cents. Get back to what made you fall in love with it.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:41 pm

After the last two good outings I had...I have changed my mind. Even though I still clean up a lot of plastics and line that have been strewn about.

I like it that most of these "WWs" fish senkos and weightless plastics ALL THE TIME, especially when the moving power bite is on! 8-)