The Worse ..........

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
gumbygold
Angler
Angler

Re: The Worse ..........

Post by gumbygold » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:14 am

CPH wrote:Probably a Gardener rod-pod - I'm not sure you chaps would know what one is though?

I'm the world's worst lure angler (Most of us are more adept with baits for pike over here.) so my opinion doesn't really count for much, but I've had a couple of the Hooker Shad lure for years now and never even had a follow on them. It's the same with the Bulldawg lures too, never had so much as a sniff. :(
I do well with the hooker shads here in the midwest.

lape0019
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lape0019 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:00 am

Zebco Horizon rod/reel combo. It's a $40 Canadian combo you can buy at Canadian Tire ( Our EVERYTHING store). I used to work there and they would go on sale for $10.00. I bought one to keep at the cottage.

Reel exploded after half a season. For what it is, the rod is still going strong with a Pflueger President reel on it. My son now uses it for perch fishing.

wingzero9969
Angler
Angler

Post by wingzero9969 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:46 pm

For me

Worst reel was quantum pts.....bought 6 of these brand new all 6 had issues....thought Ithat was me let my buddy use them needless to say there in the bottom of a lake in Texas now lol....

Worst rod......without picking one off the 20 dollar rack at wal mart I'd have to choose Abu garcia Veritas. Broke tips off a few of these rods

Worst bait.....Banjo Minnow

cortman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cortman » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:17 pm

20 lb. Seaguar Smackdown braid. I'm a big fan of most of Seaguar's line and use Smackdown in 65 and 30 lb, but 20 lb was absolute garbage. Dug into itself insanely, backlashed all the time, and most of all broke off so many times I eventually just pulled it all off and threw it out.

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:23 am

Anything Abu Garcia. Had a round bass reel as a kid and it crapped out. Made the mistake of buying a Abu 5500 as a back up musky reel when I first started, the thing didn't last an hour throwing big baits. I watched my friend snap a Abu Veritas spinning rod on his first hookset :lol: :lol:

bigfruits
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bigfruits » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:40 am

spincast reels. never bought one but have fished them when I was a kid several times. those things are a nightmare.

JigginOG
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by JigginOG » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:18 pm

Line: Berkley Vanish. As the name states, set the hook and your fish and lure vanishes.
Reel: Quantam Pt. Stripped the gears the same day I bought it.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:48 pm

Reel: Haven't honestly had a bad one, maybe Revo Winch because the brakes began to stick out making casts like 15ft, but fixed it by locking those and only using 2 other blocks, and thumb bar sticks.

Rod: Bass Pro Carbonlite, original black ones, bought for like $50 supposed to rate down to 1/16 spinning and feels more like a medium power along with shotty quality.

Line: Nice to see I am not alone, Berkley Vanish, awful stuff. When I began fishing THAT line almost scared me from Fluoro permanently.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:09 pm

Abu Soron STX (i think that's the model). First day with this reel the drag completely crapped out, zero tension on a decent weakfish, had to hand line her in the boat...this was 8-9 years ago, to this day I won't even look at abu spinners, and zero reason to stray from shim/daiwa.

Silas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Silas » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:33 am

For me, the POWELL DIESEL!

A Broomstick!! Cheap, however; that's why I bought it.

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:57 am

Reel - Abu Revo STX Gen 1. Nothing wrong with it, just underwhelmed.

Rod - Steez Compile X 7'1"H. In my hands it was superlight and looked pretty, but not sensitive at all.

Line - Berkley Vanish. Stuff just was week and had no abrasion resistance.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:17 am

grantman83 wrote:Worst Reel was a Bass Pro baitcaster of which I don't remember. Seriously, I used it once and in setting the hook stripped all the internal gears. It lost both the drap and anti reverse all in one bang. I did only pay like 60 for it but still...

Worst Rod was a berkley amp which broke straight up on a hookset. Again, cheap.

Worst line was Vicious Fluoro. Strong but so unmanageable I couldn't throw anything on it without brakes on high or a short distance. I've had better luck with Berkley Vanish and that should say it all.

Notice a trend here? They were all cheap. I learned quick you get what you pay for.
I got some 12lb Vicious I use for moving baits. I got a spool for 2 bucks. Hasn't gave me problems. I can tell it isn't the greatest stuff but oh well
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:36 am

Going to add...

Daiwa J Braid.