Maximizing as a co angler

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Maximizing as a co angler

Post by angry john » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:05 pm

I spend a lot of time in the back of the boat and i was wondering what are some good ways to support a team fish or not get outfished 3:1 or worse. The person in the font has access to all the new water, what can be done to offset that advantage. I am also considering being the kicker guy and looking for the big fish with the swimbait as the person in front jig/worm fishes.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Maximizing as a co angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:17 pm

i find finessing helps at the rear too. many finicky fish can be picked up this way!

BenWIlks
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by BenWIlks » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:50 pm

Believe it or not one guy I fish with drives the boat around backwards and always gets the best spots first. But that is fishing in current with the electric mounted on the stern. He does everything around the wrong way :shock:

jpd0144
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by jpd0144 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:55 pm

cndbasshunter wrote:
i find finessing helps at the rear too. many finicky fish can be picked up this way!
X2 !

You would be surprised at how many "kicker" fish your looking for will eat finesse lures also ... especially on heavily preasured waters.

Maskedfisherdude
Angler
Angler

Post by Maskedfisherdude » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:05 pm

When I fish AAA I only bring 4 rods unless I'm told to bring more or less. I always have a drop shot tied on a spinning reel and I have another spinning rod that has a shakey head, neko rig, ika, or darter head tied on. It also depends on how the other guy is fishing. Catch a limit and then cull.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:14 pm

Maskedfisherdude wrote:When I fish AAA I only bring 4 rods unless I'm told to bring more or less. I always have a drop shot tied on a spinning reel and I have another spinning rod that has a shakey head, neko rig, ika, or darter head tied on. It also depends on how the other guy is fishing. Catch a limit and then cull.
Great topic!
x2 The drop shot is the key to picking up those fish, that the front boater has "awaken." Drifting Senkos in the back of the boat catches a lot of fish as well.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:05 pm

If the person in the front is pitching jigs/plastics to cover than you will have a tough time. I would fish something completely different or in a different part of the water column. If you are fishing points or humps, the person in the front has much less of an advantage and you can both fish your strengths.

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:33 pm

Fish different techniques is a must. I try and fish the opposite of what the other guy is fishing. I also believe that by casting your bait with your opposite hand you create different angles and give the fish the bait slightly different than the guy at the front. In friendly wagers I have done well. Whle I have no tournament experience other than a few club tournaments I believe that this is the way to do well.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:45 pm

I always use a different bait until we find the perfect bait for the day ( which is seldom). I usually drop shot, flip a creature, spinnerbait, or most likely a senko.

Maskedfisherdude
Angler
Angler

Post by Maskedfisherdude » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:29 pm

I can't believe I forgot senkos. If the guy is power fishing your kinda stuck. I've had guys say bring 2 flipping sticks and that's it. Thats not very fun. Then I've had them say bring whatever it will take to put fish in the boat.
Finesse is your friend when your on the back deck. Scents and lite line think outside the box. Also if you are flipping and pitching hope you are more accurate than him.

stykbowslim
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by stykbowslim » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:41 am

jpd0144 wrote:
cndbasshunter wrote:
X2 !

You would be surprised at how many "kicker" fish your looking for will eat finesse lures also ... especially on heavily preasured waters.

X3 !!!

I'm always in the back and my partner is a spinnerbait fanatic, so he fishes somewhat fast. . . . I do a lot wacky rigged Senko's and other finesse lures, which has allowed me to be a positive contributor during tournament day :big grin:

FishG3
Angler
Angler

Post by FishG3 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:47 am

I've only really had experience in fishing against the guy in the front of the boat. I pay as much attention to where he fishes and the spots he misses and usually follow with a finesse approach such as a weightless senko. Most importantly fish where he hasn't this will help tremendously.